Why no Tai Chi Fight Videos/Clips

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by bainbrd, Oct 20, 2004.

1. bainbrd

bainbrd New Member

Hi,

Ive been looking round the internet for a while now, and i cant seem to find ANY movies of actual Tai Chi fights.. Ive heard Tai Chi is used in mixed martial arts competitions in china, so why cant i find any clips of this. Or even 2 blokes having a fight where one of them knows Tai Chi.

If anyone can point me to a weblink for anything like this id really appreciate it

p.s. id be interested to see other internal arts not just tai chi, but im after actual fights rather than training clips

Cheers,

Dan

2. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

3. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

I did see a charity match up between a white crane stylist and a wu stylist. Fight lasted 49 minutes. No it didnt look like taichi - infact it looked pretty pants.

4. bainbrd

bainbrd New Member

Thanks for that list of webistes with video links on,

However, most of them seemed to be out of date, and the only ones i could view were just more movies of form etc

If anyone has any actual tai chi / Internal MA fights please could you send me a working link, or even perhaps email the file to me?

Cheers, Dan

5. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

6. bainbrd

bainbrd New Member

Is that really the best internal martial arts fight somebody can point out to me? It did look like terrible boxing, and is there nothing more recent or of better quality picture?

I would really like to see tai chi or an internal style really dominating another martial artist, is there really nothing out there!!??

Cheers,

Dan

7. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Yeah mate, the guys in the video looked pretty lame. I found it a bit discouraging at first, but then I remembered how my teacher was effortlessly throwing me around the room, and shattering coconuts like they were eggs. My guess is that the guys in the video were not very good, there are a lot of people who call themselves masters, but its not the title that commands respect, its the skill.

Have a look here though , its not a fight but there are some interesting applications and stuff .

Cheers

ZB

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

9. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Now thats what I'm talking about! The real skill!!

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

"And possibly, some organ damage." :)

11. madfrank

madfrank Valued Member

As can be seen in that old footage of the 'Masters' fighitng Tai chi training doesn't prepare you for the street.
    I assume them wo people gave up training after that fight.
    I've never seen worse punches in my life.
    Arm punches with no body behind them at all attrociase(sp)
    MF

12. bainbrd

bainbrd New Member

I cant believe nobody can send me a clip of a real internal arts fighter down to business

Ive been willing to suspend my belief in tai chi for while, but if there is no proof... maybe there is no real skill... at lesat any more?

If someone could restore my faith id really appreciate it, cos i love tai chi and id really hate for it all to be a hoax

p.s. seen the clip above before, pretty funny but NOT what im looking for!!

Thanks,

Dan

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I realize that.

Go to the Kung Fu Magazine forums. There's a guy named Shooter who trains in taiji. Him and his students have done quite well in MMA competition apparently. But it's still not going to be what you're looking for, I'd bet. It's not going to look like taiji. It's going to look like MMA.

Stuart

14. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

I agree with most of what people are saying in that if you see a clip of a fight with one of the opponents using 'taiji' its not going to be pretty. It will look like MMA.

What you are looking for is probably not going to be found outside of the film studio. You won't see someone smoothly deflecting and redirecting the opponent. The world just doesn't act that way.

The only thing that would make the taiji player different is that he might be reading the 'energy' of the opponent more. Being more sensitive to the nature of the attacks and dealing with them. But only he and his opponent will probably be able to tell.

You definitely will not see any 'applications' from the form unless you are really 'lucky'.

Keep the faith and keep practicing. But if you need to see footage in order to keep practicing then you may as well quit now, 'cos chances are you will be without success.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That would be the interesting part. Certainly wrestlers get a lot of experience "reading" people's energy, momentum, balance, etc. So I'm not sure that taiji players would be more sensitive to it. But it would definitely be interesting to hear how (if at all) they either detected or responded differently.

Stuart

16. wuwei

wuwei New Member

After much effort searching the web, I finally found a copy(quality is bad thou) of the video of the landmark fight between Wu and Chan in 1954 in Macau. For those who haven't heard of this event, it was a huge sensation at the time. Wu was the grandson of the founder of Wu style Taiqi, Chan was a main exponent of the Pakhok(white crane) style.

Well, what can I say, you'll probably lose all your faith in Taiqi after watching the video, so i recommend you not to. ;)

17. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Agree with you there. There are other arts that rely on sensitivety. Hard to tell who would be better at it. Just depends on their own level of skill I guess.

We still won't find any 'good' videos of it though.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That has got to be the single FUNNIEST thing I have ever seen! I am still chuckling away here as I type!!

Absolutely fantastic!!

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Check out the other clips under "Projects." There are a few other really funny films there.

:)

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No, you really won't. Good call.

I think that's just a difficult fact we all need to get used to. There's style and then there's freestyle. When one meets the other, freestyle takes precedence. It's rarely going to look like any particular style, because the appearance of that style developed under more controlled circumstances.

Stuart