Why LARP breeds faulty technique

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by KempoFist, May 21, 2007.

1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CvTeV-Kk8"]YouTube[/ame]

Prime example. It started off "ok" IMO, but after the 25 second mark all I could do was weep and wonder, wtf she was doing?

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hmmm
    Is that aliveness or what :(

The music, the dance, I was also in...awe :rolleyes:

That was sad.

3. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

lol @ upa.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

comedy.
    slow mo action film.

5. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

I've just popped in to remind you it is infact MARTIAL larping that causes bad technique;

ACTUAL larping is wounderful

6. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

I, too, will Upa the opposite way from now on.

7. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I liked the guys bandana and the girl was sweet.

I disliked the rest of the video though.

8. KempoFist

Well I for one WAS trying to view it objectively, and not criticize the speed -recognizing that it is a demo, and was slowed down so I could view the technique involved.

Unfortunately the technique involved was horrendous. I mean, if this is the best they can come up with, while 100% compliant and pre-choreographed, how freaking lost is she or any of their students going to be when they are actually fighting!?

9. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

from what i saw the choke defences were awful, the head lock defence appaling and i would only attempt those weapons disarms if i was trying to self harm and/or die. am i mistaken or is the technique at 0.36 a ripping off of the testicles? oh dear. if you can rip off a testicle from anybody not wearing a g-string id eat my own. the only thing i thought of as passable was the hair grabbing counter which was quite good.

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

So, who is she? :eek:

If that is how it is in real life(yes Virgina), men being compliant for women :D to be able to push them around, then it is like real life in many instance's.
    I have observed and witnessed in my line of work. Then finally Boom! "no mas" off to jail do not pass go. ;)

The whole epoxy thing is interesting to say the least. You have the common material and then the catalyst is added. Sets off a reaction every time.

Compliant is nice in learning situations but to show it on video like that is a major clue as to how clueless that group is. Sad, but a real eyeopener...For there are many like that in this Business of MA...

Yep, Barnum was right.

Gary

11. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Shaolin? I saw no five animals...

Wow, If had known in advance that all you have to do to get out of a rear-naked choke was to sloooooooowly tap the bloke in the shin and casually lay him on the mat, my BJJ classes would have gone a LOT smoother.

You think they'd at least choose a nice slow song if they were going to put on such a snail show. :p

12. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

That headlock escape was something special, I tell you what.
    Not quite as special as the mount escape and RNC escape, though.
    This is enforcing my dubious feelings towards anything that contains the word "kenpo" and another martial art; kenpo karate, shaolin kenpo.... and now, Shaolin Kenpo Karate. :p

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

True, those who are, as clueless as who made the video, should be held responsible, not the art.

14. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Man are you guys dumb! Couldn't you tell she was using chi? Geez!

15. KempoFist

Is THAT what that was?? I was wondering what happened there. Guy seemed to be goin for a RNC, then had his foot grabbed and gave up.

I still think the Upa to the wrong side without even controlling the arm that she did get was the best.

16. KempoFist

You did realize that halfway through the video they demonstrate everything again full speed right? Not that it's any better then, but at least they did do that.

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

You are joking right? I watched it all the way. I think if you added some more speed to it, still could not hide the bad tech.'s and lack of correct body mechanics.

Sad to show that to anyone who has any working knowledge of the arts. Who is that anyway, your girl friend? :D :rolleyes:

Edit...Wait wait that is not...No tell me, no ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  18. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Gary, you seriously need to read more carefully. He said it's NOT any better even though it's done faster.

19. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

wow, thats such a smooth way to escape from a mount. I must try that when I can train again, all the ways I know are hard and require alot of technique.. :rolleyes:

20. KempoFist

Just knee him in the coccyx! Or better yet, just reach around his thigh and rip off his testicles! That'll teach'm to try and mount you!