Why Karate will get you killed in self defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Isaiah90, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Here's a detailed explanation of why having a Karate mindset will get you killed in self defense.

Wrong mindset - The problem with Karate is it’s not effective for self defense. Karate prepares people for fights and spirituality. It does not prepare them to defend themselves in real life situations. What’s the difference between fights and attacks? A fight is agreed upon. An attack is not. An attack is also an attempt to seriously hurt or end your life. The idea you're going to have time to get in a fancy stance and perform all of your techniques against one or multiple opponents is fantasy.

No situational awareness - Karate does not teach you how to develop your situational awareness. This is very poor self defense training. I've read a case of a Karate girl who got punched from behind and tackled. The guy held her arms down so she couldn’t strike. She kneed him in the groin and headbutted him luckily. The next Karateka might not be so lucky. There's footage of a Karate instructor who got gunned down quickly on TV. He didn't even see it coming.

Unrealistic and poor techniques - The problem with Karate techniques is they are too flashy to work in real life. They also lack power and are too static. This is based on improper body mechanics. Power is very important in combat. You can execute Karate techniques correctly, but it does you no good if they don't end the threat effectively. There's cases of Karatekas who kept punching and kicking their attackers, but it had little to no effect on them. That's because adrenaline and drugs can numb people to pain.

Poor defense against weapons - One of the biggest problems with Karate is the poor defense against weapons. A bunch of Karatekas were hospitalized or killed by armed attackers. For example, the victim of the famous Amanda Knox case was a Karateka. She was attacked by her friend and another guy wielding a knife. She fought hard, but got stabbed and died with a slit throat. A bunch of other instructors were shot and killed. One Karate girl got in an argument with an aggressive man. He swung first so they exchanged blows. Eventually, he grabbed a stone and bashed her in the head with it. She collapsed with a concussion as blood covered her face and couldn't get up. He was going to finish her, but fled the scene because the incident attracted witnesses. Other practitioners got raped.

For those reasons and more, Karate will get you hospitalized or killed on the streets.

2. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Do you believe what you wrote here, or are you just trying to spark discussion?

axelb likes this.
  3. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Yes, i really believe it. I'm so confident in what i believe, i'm challenging Karatekas to my system's sparring sessions. They'll be filmed. I will attack Karatekas in any way i please in 1v1 or 5v1 unarmed and armed. They get no weapons because realistically, they're not going to walk around the streets with traditional Karate weapons for self defense. Of course, they're going to decline the offer. If they accept and get pummeled, i can almost bet they'll make excuses to defend Karate.

4. Flying Crane

I appreciate the clarification.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am not going to mince words. :mad:

Sparring during a global pandemic is highly irresponsible. Any "teacher" promoting this should not be in business. Period. You claim to understand self defense, but promote unsafe behavior that could literally spread disease and get people killed.

You have no credibility based on that alone.

Other credibility issues have already been hashed out on previous threads.

Flying Crane and axelb like this.
  6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Obviously you could easily handle a 5v1 armed attack then ?

axelb and Nachi like this.
  7. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I am quite sure I am going to regret getting into this discussion, but... I don't even know where to begin.
    Do you have any experience with karate at all? I wonder what martial art you practice....

I also wonder if you actually expect to get attacked all the time? Any martial arts can teach situational awarness, but, really, who is looking around expecting to be attacked from behind or gunned down?
    As for the girl who got attacked and pinned. You say she was able to hit him back and defended herself, right? Being able to scream or otherwise attract any possible witness is in my opinion the best thing she could have done. So I would say she was rather successful against a sudden attack from behind and by a guy who might have been bigger and stronger. Was she not?

A Karate teacher who got gunned down quickly? Come on. If someone pulls a gun and shoots what could you do about that with any MA?

Aren't you contradicting yourself? If you use the adrenaline and drugs as an argument people can't feel strikes, how do you make it into "karate mechanics are wrong"? People drugged or high on adrenaline can go on with broken bones or bullets in the body. Does that mean the bullets don't work or bones weren't broken well enough?

Well, so a woman died after putting up a fight when being attacked by two guys weilding a knife. What do you expect karate or any MA to teach you? Superpowers?

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

He is unqualified, practising at home and making blogs based on movies or videos he has seen.
    With no grading or qualifications he will charge people for lessons.
    At best inexperienced, at worse; giving inexperienced "students" a false sense of learning potentially putting them in a worse situation for $10 a lesson.

Nachi likes this.
  9. Nachi

Ah, I see. Not that I am surprised....

Hey, Isaiah, if you are into martial arts, why don't you try karate classes? Or any other MA classes for that matter? Maybe you'd be surprised, enjoy yourself and will gain a better perspective ;)

Tom bayley likes this.
  10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I completely agree.
    @Isaiah90 when restrictions allow in your location, I believe you would benefit physically and very much so mentally to attend a martial arts club in your region. Drop the agenda you have built up which is blocking you from becoming a healthy person over all.
    The current path you follow is bad from your mental health and with it you are actively encouraging an immense amout it negative energy and attitude.

bassai, Nachi and Tom bayley like this.
  11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Marital arts do not get you killed. ignorance and overconfidence gets you killed. any art will teach you what you practice in the training hall. no more no less.

Nachi and axelb like this.
  12. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Any martial arts cannot teach situational awareness. If Karate taught situational awareness, the girl wouldn't have made the mistake of having her back turned on an enemy. The fact she was able to "successfully" defend herself is besides the point. She lacked proper awareness and therefore should not have been in that situation to begin with.

Exactly, martial arts is not enough for self defense.

Basically, Karate lacks knock out power to disable opponents.

At this point, you're making excuses to justify lousy training. If a martial art doesn't teach you how to address weapons for self defense when it's one of the most common forms of attacks, it's bad self defense training.

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Actually, you are projecting here. I suggest you apply what you said here to yourself.

bassai and axelb like this.
  14. Flying Crane

I think the best solution really, is to not interact with internet trolls. Don’t give any oxygen to their nonsense.

Internet trolls want to get a response, even (especially?) if that response is negative. It makes them feel important in some perverse way. They like to see people get all worked up over something that they have posted. It is easy for them to do because all they need to do is post something ignorant and stupid like: “Karate training will get you killed” and then give some idiotic and thoughtless justification for such a statement. That takes all of ten seconds to do and his job is done. Then he sits back and gets his entertainment by watching a bunch of people scramble around and give significant time and energy to explaining where he is wrong. That is just entertainment for him, he has no intention of ever conceding a single point, no matter the mountains of evidence or reasonableness of thought, nor is it likely that he will ever crawl forth from his lair in his mother’s basement where he just celebrated his 43rd birthday.

I realize there can be a desire to not let internet stupidity go unchallenged for the sake of the unknown readership who might mistakenly see some “truth” in his Internet sewage. But honestly, the world at large doesn’t care and I would wager that the vast majority of the reading public is far more intelligent and educated than he is and can see through his nonsense for the stupidity that it is.

Don’t create dialog or discussion around a thread that is clearly trolling.

:)

15. Nachi

Yeah, you are right. I was just bored sitting at home all the time and the ridiculousness of those arguments just irks me, haha, :D But I shall argue not anymore.

axelb and Flying Crane like this.
  16. Nachi

Isaiah, you are right, karate is probably really useless. I shall ponder my motivation for learning this suicidal art for the past few years. ;) I'd do better spending my evenings watching movies and learning from those!
    Good luck on your journey!

axelb likes this.
  17. Flying Crane

Isaiah wants desperately to be seen as a person of consequence, which he never will be. Even his family see him as an embarrassment. That is what happens when you spend all of your 43 years in your mothers basement being an internet troll. Even his mother hates him, but she tolerates him and his girlfriend Rosie Palm out of a sense of familial duty.

axelb likes this.
  18. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Yea, all those fancy Karate moves are Hollywood choreographed dances anyways lol. I'll tell you what. Go to your local MMA or boxing gym and challenge a fighter to a 1v1 match. Record it. I can almost put money you'll get knocked out or wrecked.

19. Nachi

I challenge you to do the same, then! ;)

axelb likes this.
  20. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

I did lol. I sparred with an MMA fighter no-contact. I side kicked him in the balls. He saw it coming and wanted to defend against it, but had no technique in his arsenal which could do it well. He just stepped back which didn't stop it. I then hook punched him in the head. If it was full-contact, he would've been knocked out. It goes to show MMA will get you wrecked or killed on the streets.