Why isn't God held to the same standards as man?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Spirit Warrior

Spirit Warrior Valued Member

If you read exodus and research various chapters particularly about Abraham it says alot of the time how people sold themselves for servitude. But by the way im not saying these religions are absurd good people have used them for good things because there are good and bad principles in this and if you ask why someone would chose such a religion its because the positive sides inspire and i will repeat again that Jesus said that to love your neighbor as you love yourself which inspired many great people to do great things

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Foreign slaves could be owned in perpetuity so slavery advocated in the bible is absolutely the same thing - unless you were "home grown" which is where the "years of service" thing came in

3. Hannibal

And also inspired incredible evil

Not everyone gravitating to a religion is wholesome...and when the religion itself has hateful and divisive teaching inherent them there are going to be issues

4. Spirit Warrior

Can you give me one quote from the new testament that is hateful please?

5. Hannibal

...a Canaanite woman ...came out and cried, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely possessed by a demon. But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." And he answered, "It is not fair to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." (Matthew 15:23)

6. Hannibal

I am not indicting Christianity as a philosophical construct or approach - but you cannot ignore the past transgressions as merely being "of their time" when the God they represent is eternal as are his teachings

7. Hannibal

Or is misogyny is your thing....

...the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church. (1 Corinthians 14:34-35)

8. Hannibal

Now lest I be called out, my own religious leaning has enough skeletons in its closet to fill a cemetery - but with no official doctrine or claims of divinity it is harder to nail down the specifics

9. Spirit Warrior

firstly you did not complete the quote he heals this woman in the end and cures her

10. Spirit Warrior

secondly I am not ignoring the past I have already acknowledged that there is good and bad in the scripture but you cannot take this scripture out of its historical context when at the time this one of the more sophisticated doctrine in the world at a time when some where still practicing child sacrifice. It is only through the various steps in progression through various philosphers like moses, Jesus and then those enlightenment philosophers that we have reached this point in human history is because progression takes time; therefore to follow the core concepts of the Abrahamic religions is not false or wrong and in regards to women your right this quote is bad by today's standards but Jesus was perhaps the first Rabi to take on a prostitute and treat her with some respect and also let her pray with him and he stated in the parable of the good samaritan that the lower classes of Jewish society if they had integrity and compassion where better even than the rabis from the tribe of Levi (once again another sign of progression and on one of the earliest signs of tolerance of that time). Everything is relative to a time period there are many great figures in our time or in decades gone by whose achievement will be regarded as minor 2000 years into the future from now; but would it be right to say that Nelson Mandela or Ghandi are not great figures because the times have moved on its very easy for us to sit here 2000 years later and crtitise but everything is relative to a time period in history

11. Hannibal

Then it can't be divine then and is just another philosophy

12. Hannibal

After racially discriminating you mean?

13. Spirit Warrior

I'm not Christian but I believe that these individuals were divinely inspired for the period of time they were in I believe that the inspiration of philosophy comes from the ability for the mind to break conventions and progress in its way of thinking to knock down barriers to progression which is divinely inspired but relative to a time like I said. But even saying that many of the progressive principles of these peopleinspire people to do good now: 'if a man slaps you turn the other cheek' is a timeless parable

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

here's the interesting thing for me: why do you need a made-up diety to tell you to 'turn the other cheek'? why do you need a made-up diety to tell you to not kill? why do you need a made-up diety to explain anything about the universe?

maybe it's just the human condition that needs to attribute things to 'god'? i was watching a speech by neil degrasse tyson and he was talking about how isaac newton figured all this stuff out about the planets, then when stumped with why there the planets were in retrograde orbit, determined that it was 'god'. this guy created calculus for chrissake, figured out all these physical laws. and even he when stumped, said 'god did it'. crazy!

15. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

religion = doctrine by 2000 year old men who didnt even know the world was round, much less what controls the universe.

16. Hannibal

Don't confuse religion with Christianity/Judaism/Islam

17. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Newton was a theologan who held views considered heretical by the church. He also heavily studdied alchemy. I highly doubt what he meant when he said "god" resembled what most people today would think of "god"

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It depends on which passage you are referring to. Some parts do refer to slavery but neither God nor Jesus condone it in the Bible - it's the writings of human beings that do, who are not infallible. Though Christians should use the Bible as the basis for their religion they should use it as a guideline for their time. Some parts can be traced back to where they might have been placed in there for political gain at the time.

I don't think anyone will say slavery is good. However you cannot say the general tenets of Christianity are bad either.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Could you name some general tenets of Christianity so we can see?

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I find the foundation of Christianity that Jesus scapegoated the entire human race for some intrinsic sin to be a horrible thing to found a religion on for example.