Why is the MA industry not regulated

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AJMartialArtist, Aug 7, 2016.

1. AJMartialArtist

AJMartialArtist Valued Member

Ok so in my area a new karate school called karate do jutsu has arrived on the scene now this isn't the problem I don't mind if someone with enough experience wants to create their own martial art that's cool even I was going to. However the so called 8th degree black belt who runs it without naming anyone is the same white belt who came into our Dojang (Hapkido) and spent a couple of weeks their and now owns his own karate club.

This is what gets me He is a green belt in Shotokan karate now I'm a green belt in taekwondo and a yellow belt in Hapkido so not ranked very highly in either however I am a brown belt in Shotokan and have been doing Silat for 4 years Seni Gayong I am green belt ad Batki Negara does not have ranks so thats's my credentials but this is guys martial art experience is green belt in Shotokan karate and 2 weeks in Hapkido this is all he has done that's it what I want to know

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE COME ON AUSTRALIA THIS IS A JOKE!!!:bang::bang:

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Attention seekers who want their egos stroked.

It's not a new thing; look up Gokan Ru - another Australian group - who are internationally renowned for opening new Dojos with underqualified teachers.

3. AJMartialArtist

I know this bullshido company very well but this should not be allowed however I am a bit confused r u referring to me getting my ego stroked

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

And how do you realistically expect the MA industry to be regulated? Who would be in charge of each of the hundreds of styles? How would warring lineages be able to not let that cloud judgments? How would the government, composed of a lot of non-MAists, be able to enforce it? What do you want? Fines? Jail time? How would you deal with corruption within the ranks once a system was supposedly in place? What about the fact that MA's are practiced in various countries all over the world? Do you want the UN regulating it?

I get your frustration, but it just isn't realistic to expect any sort of regulation.

My advice is, don't worry about the frauds. Yes, it stinks that they get away with it. But focus on your own school and teachings. Let the quality of your martial arts, and your school's martial arts speak for itself. The quality of schools that don't have highly qualified instructors will end up speaking for itself too.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

No, people like the guy you mentioned - who have done a bit of this and that, and then open their own 'Bob's Karate-fu-jitsu' school.

6. aaradia

Mod note- please remember that text speak is not allowed on this forum. Please spell things out in complete words in the future. Thanks!

7. AJMartialArtist

Well lets be honest the best way to regulate is to prove you have earned at least a 1st degree in a martial art and must demonstrate your knowledge in a practical exam to the governing bodies of martial art organizations not by simply buying insurance

8. aaradia

You aren't thinking about what I said. What governing bodies? Who gets to decide who is in the governing body? Do you want the government to get involved if a governing body gets corrupted by fraud or politics? What about multi-national arts? Where one government doesn't have jurisdiction over other countries? How do you enforce people breaking the governing bodies policy?

There are plenty of organizations with supposed governing bodies that have supposedly high level judges. And they put out absolute rubbish low quality martial artists with all sorts of black belts/ sashes.

Look at many of the video's of martial arts on here with people wearing black belts who look absolutely awful. (Hannibal posts a lot of these.) Look at all the discussions about quality - or lack thereof - among the high ranks in the Ninjitsu forum (as just one example.)

It is an interesting ideal, but impossible to enforce. So, why worry about it? Focus on your own training. It's much more productive and useful. And far less frustrating.:hat:

9. AJMartialArtist

I get what your saying so what do you think about creating your own martial arts

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That it's pretty ridiculous at this day and age. There's very rarely justification for it other than ego.

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If we are talking about making an art up from scratch then I agree with chadderz. If we are talking some gendai system where the teacher has for example 10years judo, 6years boxing 3years folkstyle wrestling and a black belt in some crappy WJJF jujitsu and they want to open their own school, under their own system create and their own jujitsu syllabus and grading structure, I think that's totally fine... I'd probably even want to train there

12. AJMartialArtist

How much experience in martial arts do you think you should have to run your own dojo not rank (some martial arts don't have ranks or belts) just experience and on that how much experience do you think you should need to create your own martial art because I am very curious now

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It massively depends on the individual. Anyone can get a bit of paper from an association and teach if they really wanted to. Certificates don't mean anything to me.

I think you should have a good few years behind you, competitive/field experience, be competent at actually teaching your art properly & generally have the support from other established instructors

I'd rather learn from people who have pressure tested experience than people who just teach out of a handbook.

14. AJMartialArtist

so how many years do you because to some people like the bozo who I talked about earlier a few years means two

15. Knee Rider

Unreal beat me to it.

Enough experience to have the technical knowledge and understanding of how to implement what you teach and the coaching skills to teach it are the key things.

I think that age/health permitting you should spar with your students too.

16. Knee Rider

Two years could be either enough or nothing.

A green belt in karate is however, nothing.

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I stumbled into it.

I was part of a class that had an instructor that did Kung Fu and Eskrima and also a separate Tai Chi class.

He was a full time instructor.

When he went back t working for someone else he gave up the Kung Fu and just continued with the Tai Chi.

Students wanted to continue and I took over the class.

I had a training history going back over two decades and had always been an assistant instructor, so was able to teach and dissect a technique.

Having my own ideas led me to re-writing the syllabus and rebranding the club.

The difficulty for someone like me is there is no instructor above me.

I'm lucky that I have a small class and we continue to test, examine and evaluate what works and what doesn't.

With no organisation to fall back on though promotion is difficult.

If I had my time over again I'd have found another JKD instructor, probably Bob Breen, and continued with him after my own coach stopped teaching.

So anyone can teach, but it can be lonely and unless you know your stuff, know how to dissect a technique and re-structure it for your own needs you'll easily end up stagnating.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've been training for almost five years striking and grappling. If for some reason I was forced to move to a very remote place, I would open my own place (with my instructors permission). I wouldn't be making a new curriculum though, as I have nothing new to add to the systems I've learnt.

As KR said though, if someone has like, 10 years muay thai and a lot grappling knowledge and some JJJ, they could probably open their own place. Although for all intents and purposes it would be mma in a gi.

19. AJMartialArtist

Thank you that is really good feedback I agree totally and it sounds like were all on the same river just on different boats. The Gendai system I had to look up because I had no idea what that was . I am really considering it right now just to let you know and I need you guys to talk me out of it but I am sick of these Bullshido martial art schools taking money off these poor people and teaching them bad methods just to get money in their pocket

20. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

This happens all the time, people open schools to make money, follow the money.

Just look at these schools as introductions to arts, not advanced learning schools. Usually these schools get lots of beginners that don't stay around a long time anyway. The fancier the school the less substance, but beginners can't tell the difference, they see a great place to train, mirrors, lockers, showers and fancy training equipment ect...

Don't worry about everyone else, unless you are competing with them, then you have to do the hype better if money is your priority.

Trying to regulate art, which is an expression is not going to happen.