why is MMA still illegal in new york?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by roninmaster, Feb 23, 2010.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

okay so after EA sports and ESPN both going back on there initial statements and hosting MMA entertainment. MMA being done as a sport in almost every major country. the UFC match sales out selling boxing and events as well as other sporting events. and scientist and doctors proving that its safer than boxing, kickboxing, and football. why is MMA still illegal in new york? any time i look up why? i see the same old close minded ignorrant bill o reily footage of him arguing with Dana white.

MMA has the potential to be one of the biggest sports out there, and its obvious its not a fad anymore. so why do people still hold on to this "human cockfighting" anology? its obvious that events such as the WWE are way more dangerous to people and if anything was illegal it should be that. ( no offence to any pro wrestling fans)

if it was legalized in new york the business would be outstanding. cant you just picture UFC events at madison square garden, or even outside in times square? it could be the best thing to happen to the UFC. but the same close minded politicians are stopping this from being a reality.

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Competitive cheerleading is statistically more dangerous than amateur or pro MMA, if what I've always seen is correct.
    But seriously, politics in reality isn't about right or wrong. It's about entrenched ideas of social standing, votes and cash. I'd be amazed if any of the serious opponents to MMA actually have any real concept of what goes on in an MMA gym.

3. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I had no idea that this was the case. I was in New York a couple of years back and they aren't shy of advertising MMA events. I saw HUGE billboards just off Times Square advertising the Fedor Vs Affliction event.

Also some of the sports shops I went to, push all their Tapout gear to the windows.

Weird... :confused: :eek: