why is chi kung rubbish

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by leftwingtaoist, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

Thank you :). That is exactly what I was getting at. I didn't intend for the post to be taken in the way that it was, and looking back over it, it could've easily been taken as a shot at Mike Jobs, which I would never even think of doing because he is one of the many people on this forum who I look up to and whose posts and opinions I value greatly. It was a post speaking in general about an idea that one of Bruce's posts brought to my mind and I thought it would add to the overall discussion. I certainly didn't intend for it to sound offensive in any way. The close minded thing falls on both sides of the fence, so I am not trying to single out only one side. I've never felt comfortable with the idea of taking everything that sensei says as absolute gospel just because it sounds mystical and exotic - especially when a person chooses to throw it in the face of hard, proven science just because they want to live out a fantasy. I think that it is good to consider that sensei may be telling an old wives' tale or trying to cover up something that he or she doesn't understand. That, or a primitive explanation is being given for something that is totally mundane but people didn't know the science behind it at the time, so they applied a mystical meaning to it.

2. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

You got it. Having an open mind doesn't mean your brains have to fall out. :)

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think was Arthur C Clarke who said

"True wisdom involves treading a fine line between scepticism and credulity"

He also famously stated

"
    I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical"