Why I Prefer Dating Women Who Are Martial Artists

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Subconscious Sailboat, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Nice! Thanks for the recommends : )

I've always wanted to try out BJJ, was hoping to one day learn it together one on one with my ex with the Gracie online video course (which would be awesome to invest in one day) who was into kick-boxing but that ship sailed a long time ago.

The Gracies truly got me into looking into it more. It's amazing and I respect their philosophy and the fact that you can stop someone from hurting you without even having to hurt them and controlling the situation. Suits my personality as I'm gentle at heart and don't like to hurt others but at least with BJJ I could defend myself by ''hugging'' someone into submission haha

<--------- The video that blew my mind and changed how I thought about martial arts, it doesn't have to be about brute power and force

David Harrison and Mangosteen like this.
  2. Thanks for the feedback, there's more to this than meets the eye it seems in terms of benefits. I can mingle with people, I've just personally had a few bad experiences with some people (not all) who trained martial arts in terms of being aggressive or bullying towards others or myself or they were 'flexing' and egos got involved etc. So there's kind of been a subconscious aversion to MA for me in some ways (this all goes back to childhood) but I now realize it's not the art which is a ''bad'' thing, it's neutral like any tool, it's the way it's used by people I guess.

Hence why, part of me wants to face that aversion within myself head on to get over the mental blocks and free myself by learning this stuff. I definitely now know that even ''bad'' people can know martial arts and abuse it or misuse it with others as I've experienced. So I guess, my intent is to learn MA to see that side of things, to see what that world is all about and to understand it as best I can I guess so I can 'get' it instead of sometimes feeling intimated by someone who just casually mentions they do martial arts in passing which is due to past experiences and traumas. I want to learn it knowing that I will never misuse or abuse it like the people I mentioned did. Does that make sense? Also obviously for fitness and self-defense in general.

The grappling arts seem to be right up my alley. One of the few fights I got in when I was a kid in school to do with a bully who had been bullying my friends, I had instinctively grappled the kid (striking feels foreign to me) and I had winded the kid unintentionally and he ran away leaving us alone. I've always been naturally strong I think because of my build and frame, genetics etc so sometimes I don't know my own strength. I didn't feel too good about it but at least I saved my friends and myself from any more hassle. I think all bullies are just hurt inside and are looking for approval and love in unhealthy and toxic ways.

Nachi, Mangosteen and David Harrison like this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I've generally found that the more serious the training, the more chilled out the participants.

Usually the people flexing their ego are the ones who are scared to test their skills. People who test their skills quickly find out that there is always someone waiting around the corner to humble you if you get any big ideas about yourself!

axelb and Subconscious Sailboat like this.
  4. Lol yes, like in all things in life

David Harrison likes this.
  5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I'm not going to lie, those nasty people exist in martial arts, some are great fighters but bullies in their clubs.

However, you do NOT have to attend those clubs. The most important thing is finding a club with people you like.

If you're from Athens, you probably know of "the parliament of the street", this is very much the same of how good clubs should organise. Everyone's input is important (not equal but still valid) so you should be treated with respect.

If you are not treated with respect, leave the club and find another.
    I've trained at clubs with much more experienced instructors than my own, but some of these guys are bullies.
    I choose my club because it's a healthy environment in which everyone is friendly and trying to help each other grow.

bassai, axelb, Nachi and 1 other person like this.
  6. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

Quite a good argument that is popular these days. Take a statement of direct democracy, then get some herring, smoke it red, and shout about sexism and racism.

cloudz likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Democracy isn't really democracy if everyone isn't allowed to vote, and stand as a candidate

Otherwise the USSR would of been more democratic then the USA was.

It may not be the argument you wanted, but it's the argument your getting.

8. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

There is no country to my knowledge where everyone is allowed to vote or run for office. There is always an age limit in order to arrest votes and candidacies of those who don't have enough life experience and education. This is a bit silly if the country also allows those with mental handicaps vote. Seeing this, I don't think it's radical for someone to believe that one should be able to pass some standardized testing in order to vote, or have basic knowledge of the candidates' positions. You also need to be a citizen, of course. At least in America, you can't run for president unless you were born a citizen, meaning that there is a supposed threat of dual loyalty or the like.

A more pure form of democracy is, at its most basic level, mob rule. It is not wholly necessary for the minority to have any say. Modern countries of course generally have representative democracies. We allow a relatively minuscule number of the population to make decisions for the masses. In modern times it is the ideological minority that often receives the short straw, as well as some other demographic minority. Personally, I don't see much of a stretch from limiting the voting base to distinct classes, such as ones that pass a certain threshold, as mentioned above, unless there is a good argument for why a more intelligent voting base could harm minority groups any more than majority groups.

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

And in this system, would the disenfranchised population be subject to state or federal taxes?

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Once you allow the government in charge to be able to disenfranchise the adult population, then your voting rights would quickly start being attacked for political purposes.

Ever see how electorial maps are gerrymandered so easily.

Also as conservative beliefs are associated with low IQ, that wouldn't bode well for the republican party.

Are you really arguing for the pro taxation without representation position?

11. Mangosteen

1. Dual loyalty has always been used against Jews. Conditional citizenship will create an out group which is harmful to the out group.
    Personal belief: If you live in my society, your existence secures citizenship. If this occurs in a local democracy, then we are all better for it, you may be Ethiopian yet living in my scottish town. Because you live in my town and know the needs and issues we both face in this town much better than some guy in Birmingham with whom I share ethnic or national ties.

2. Mob rule and modern democracy arent the same thing. Modern democracies are systems with proper procedure and mob rule has no system.
    Its wilfully obtuse to equate the two.

3. Historically, educating has been the domain of the wealthy and privileged. You may be triggered by the term "privilege" but heed my next example - in India, Brahmins are a privileged class, in many temples and aspects of life (including education in sanskrit or understanding the vedas), they are the only ones allowed in by social and religious custom. Dalits (untouchables) on the other hand are often barred from such things. So if this test of intelligence to vote was conducted regarding the vedas or in sanskrit, it would disenfranchise dalits.
    Same with many black folk in the southern USA if I'm not mistaken?

You can have all the great ideas for an ideal world (citizenship to only those who can pass a test) but it ignores the reality and FACTS that our societies are built on generations of fundamentally unfair systems.

P.s. I hate representation guaranteed by taxation. Representation by existence is the only true form of universal suffrage.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What a roller-coaster of a thread this is. Where will it go next!?

13. Mangosteen

Dunno why folk feel like bringing up Marx and democracy in everything.
    (Although I have moved us 2 steps closer to Godwins law).

14. Dead_pool

Talking of Marx, I've been getting ready for unlockdown by studying his work, there's some absolute genius lines,

axelb likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

Deleted, widely off topic!

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Cultural Marxism is the American right wing boogieman innit. Thanks a lot Jordan Peterson!

Dead_pool and Mangosteen like this.
  17. Mangosteen

Really dissappointed hes never slipped and said judeo-bolshevism.

Its disappointing that a vision of a free, compassionate and judgement free world in which all men try to work to the best of their ability and help others is attributed to Marx and not Jesus hahaha

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. Dead_pool

Mangosteen likes this.
  19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

HAHAHAH!
    I have some unfortunate friends from school who have been blinded by his charm, it's a shame to see them spout so much anti women tripe (in the guise of anti extreme feminism)

Dead_pool and Mangosteen like this.
  20. Mangosteen

I fully bought into his stuff until he did a video talking about race and intelligence... I was studying biological differences in ethnicity so I knew everything he was saying was nonsense and I realised his qualification are massively embellished.

Hes an expert in clinical alcohol dependency and nothing else.
    Hes a genuinely bad and deceptive human being as he chooses to be deceptive.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.