Why I Prefer Dating Women Who Are Martial Artists

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Subconscious Sailboat, Apr 24, 2021.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Great stuff man.. There's a lot here to get hold of. We all get shaped by our experiences of course, what we're exposed to and what gets us in the feels; there's a lot there I can jive with or have done at some point or other.
    I have no true answers just what I've gravitated to, what I like.

Tao, Brahman, The Absolute; let's say that's the un-manifested - non material world. As you describe potential.
    Even our best cosmologists are telling us how something comes from nothing or should that be no-thing. Meh.
    Materialism or the physical world is the manifested.

That is perhaps Dualism, but to be fair I do see myself as more of a Monist; "All is one" as I used to bandy around on MAP years ago!
    Words are poop!

take care

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    David Harrison likes this.
  2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Great stuff man.. There's a lot here to get hold of. We all get shaped by our experiences of course, what we're exposed to and what gets us in the feels; there's a lot there I can jive with or have done at some point or other.
    I have no true answers just what I've gravitated to, what I like.

Tao, Brahman, The Absolute; let's say that's the un-manifested - non material world. The Taoists call it Wu ji.
    Even our best cosmologists are telling us how something comes from nothing or should that be no-thing. Meh.
    Materialism or the physical world is the manifested.

That is perhaps Dualism, but to be fair I do see myself as more of a Monist; "All is one" as I used to bandy around on MAP years ago.

Words are poop!

take care

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I thought I detected hints of panpsychism as well?

I can see the appeal of monism, any distinctions between systems in the universe are, at some level, arbitrary.

We're all stabbing in the dark, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." and all that!

Ultimately, I find nihilistic materialism the most fulfilling paradigm to live under, as it affords me ultimate responsibility and freedom. I would much rather tailor my own bespoke inner worlds than take a religion or spiritual practice "off the rack".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  4. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

I return from fighting the forces of Darkness and Ignorance from the infernal cesspit that is Reddit.

Battered. Worn. Incredulous at the how low man can descend...

I decide wearily "you know what... I'll check out MAP. Some respite. Nice threads with intellectual rigour and open minds on the Arts Martial"

Top thread:

Why I Prefer Dating Women Who Are Martial Artists.

A really crazy post that has over the months morphed into a cosmological argument that has no longer any connection with the original nepharious/False Pretence Poster.
    How is this thread still even going?

You know that scene in the film the Thing with head spider thing?

Link removed. So sorry, but it is a family friendly forum.

Kill it!

Kill it with fire!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2021
  5. Botta Dritta

My reaction to seeing this thread was like the expletive ridden suprise at end of clip

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Just check to see if I've engaged in a thread!

I think it would be a true statement, historically on MAP, to say any thread can take a hard left turn into another topic of conversation, and if I'm involved there's a 90% chance it has devolved from the OP to a discussion about Crisco.

This is the point where we're now talking about #Crisco.

Botta Dritta likes this.
  7. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

... the heck's Crisco anyway? o_O

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

MOD Team, can we ban @Rand86 for opening a can of worms. o_O:rolleyes:

@Ero-Sennin, just no. Get back in your box. :D

Ero-Sennin likes this.
  9. Zambuka

Zambuka New Member

Hi everybody, this is my first post, so please bear with me if I screw it up.

I'm against dating women in Martial Arts. I've only done it once and we've been together for over forty years.

My advice - run!

10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Welcome to RF, glad you're here.
    I just discovered this week I dated two woman who did martial arts, but it had little to do with martial arts. One was a ex-ballerina that had taken up Shaolin Long fist, the most graceful forms I have ever seen. The other I just found out earlier this week. Mrs Xue did some martial arts in China when she was younger and in school. So I guess I agree with you....;)

Zambuka and axelb like this.
  11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yes I think so, that seems to be the direction of travel.. I think you'll enjoy this article:
    https://theconversation.com/science...nsciousness-but-a-revolution-is-coming-126143

That strikes me as a good approach.
    regards

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Philip Goff (philosopher) - Wikipedia

Quite an interesting wiki article:
    I'm still of the opinion that yes, we are just meat robots/zombies (a zombie would be dead so that's inaccurate but still) that just so happen to have some insight into our own workings as a side effect of our complexity, and that's enough for me.

"Goff wrote that he was obsessed with the problem of consciousness as long as he could remember. He declined to be confirmed Catholic at the age of fourteen and came to negatively associate philosophical dualism with his religious upbringing. As a philosophy undergraduate at Leeds, he felt he had to choose between only two options: dualism and materialism, so he became a committed materialist.[6]: 93  He passionately debated religious dualists by defending the idea that the mind and the brain are entirely the same thing. However, he began to doubt the coherence of this position, because it failed to make a place in the world for personal experiences whose subjective qualities we all know firsthand[citation needed]. This cognitive dissonance finally peaked one evening in a bar when the thrum of vivid sensations clashed with his assumed worldview. “I couldn't deny it anymore. I'd already accepted that if materialism was true, then I was a zombie. But I knew I wasn't a zombie; I was a thinking, feeling human being. I could no longer live in denial of my consciousness.”[6]: 93  Yet he had to finish his studies, so Goff became a “closet dualist”, while continuing to write his final year dissertation in which he argued that the problem of consciousness was irresolvable. Disenchanted with Philosophy, Goff went on to teach English in Poland. Later, when he happened across Thomas Nagel’s article “Panpsychism” he discovered a neglected third way, and his interest in academic philosophy was rekindled. He took up graduate study at the University of Reading, UK, under Galen Strawson, one of the few proponents of panpsychism at that time who was rediscovering Bertrand Russell and Arthur Eddington’s earlier work on monism.[6]: 97 "

cloudz and David Harrison like this.
  13. David Harrison

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

and then everyone clapped........

So how long have you been doing creative writing?

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This one time...at band camp...

16. Botta Dritta

The story is not beyond the bounds of possibility. She could have beaten all those guys. Him getting a date however....

axelb likes this.
  17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

and we're back !
    sadly that article's not there anymore, can't recall it either.. but I'm fairly certain I'd disagree.
    doing requires being surely, maybe that's just semantics though.

and some might turn around and say there is only 'what is', so where would that leave us. lol

David Harrison likes this.
  18. David Harrison

We measure existence by the exertion of forces, whether with our senses or scientific instruments. Things exist by virtue of action.

The idea of something "being" without exerting any force on the universe seems nonsensical to me. Even if it were true you could never know because there would be no way to sense or measure it.

I think, logically, that verbs "to be" are redundant, because the only function they serve is to add a layer of abstraction to the "doing" that we are observing.

19. David Harrison

...He says using two verbs "to be"!

"Language is a virus", as William Burroughs wrote. Grammar can have a profound effect on metaphysics, and vice-versa. It is a big challenge to try to think outside of the logic implicit in the language you use to form ideas.

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

sure, we measure and that's necessary and all good, but we can simply observe (nature) and let it be; to experience what is, as it is. let ourselves just be. 'the doing' within has to subside. that is 'the way', right. to sort of encapsulate what I glean from taoism - for example.

that's how you can experience the 'doing without doing' the taoists are so fond of. the concepts of wuji and taiji kind of represent this I think. action (doing) emerges from non action (being).

the meditative process allows us to distinguish between what emerges (activity)and where/ what it emerges from (stillness)., whether that's inside us or outside us.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022