why I love qigong

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Taiji_Lou, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Okay, here's a rundown of last evening's qigong.

I'd been hanging out with my brother, which is a pretty chaotic experience, usually. My mind was going a million miles an hour. It was getting later. I needed to mellow myself out. I walked out back and started the qigong.

I did my opening forms, and after the first few breaths my mind was already beginning to clear. After a few minutes of Lohan embracing the buddha, I could feel ch'i running into my hands, magnetizing them and making them tingle and shake. I know people think it's baloney, but so what?

Then I did some silk reeling and then some slow arm circles.

When I was done with all of my exersizes my breathing was slower and deeper. My hands were tingly-alive and my whole body just felt absolutely supercharged. My mind was just sooo super calm.... no thoughts, just so so calm. When I walked or moved it seemed like i was in sync with the wind blowing, the clouds moving.... just in tune and moving with the rythm.

I love qigong.

2. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

I used the force to choke out a dinosaur today.

I love the force.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

:) :) :)

I love how people of Qi Ging love to describe the body pulsating (rather fast or slow) from a physical activity as "tingling" and reference it as Chi :rolleyes:

Anyway, with respect, Taiji_Lou, to each their own. "Whatever floats the (your) boat." http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92837

Keep enjoying what you do as long as it isn't bad-harmful to others or the general society :hail: :cool:

Cheers

4. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Good times. Chi or not, calm mind, balanced body, can't ask for much better. I find tai chi and qigong induces calmness faster than most stuff and doesn't require to break a sweat (like kata does to me coz I'm that unfit :p). Tis all good.

5. 47MartialMan

One could say that Tai Chi/Qi Gong is Kata (or the vice versa)

Breaking a sweat is easier in warmer-humid climates no matter what activity you do

6. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I don't think Hatamoto will understand the term Warmer climate; He is from Wales you know. :rolleyes:

7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

If you're not breaking a sweat when practicing Taiji, then you need to practice harder.

As for the OP - quite hippy-ish, but whatever gets you going.

8. Hatamoto

When doing tai chi I always break a solid sweat, I'm happy to say, but with qigong I don't.

And oooh, Spike, cheap shot :p XD

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Sorry i couldn't resist. :hat: I am a bit Welsh myself so that makes it ok doesn't it? lol. That may explain why i dislike hot weather and road signs so much.

10. Hatamoto

Was it Billy Connolly who when putting on a show in Cardiff said "I like how you've put silly words on the road signs for the kids to play around with." Or words to that effect. Bit of banter does the soul good lol.

11. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

And another way to put it is that we should dispense with words and names, and regard everything as Tao.

I'm sorry if you don't believe in subtle energy. You just haven't experienced it, I guess. Or maybe you haven't read the compelling research that's been done. Or maybe you just don't breathe deeply. I don't know.

The thing is, movement isn't necessary to get the feelings of magnetism, electrical type pulsing, and tingling and heat. All you have to do is breath. It controls the prana.

IMA thread! That means energy work. And ch'i is a tanglible, measurable phenominon. They have proven that it exists.

Now I don't wanna get a bunch of flames for this post, either. I'd rather see people finding some good research that debunks ch'i.

I've looked for it, and all I'm finding is reasearch that VERIFIES ch'i.

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

"They have proven that it exists. "

No, no they haven't.

13. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

Ok so what exactly is it then? What has this research shown that should make us accept chi as a real independent thing an not just a different term for various biological functions that science already knows about?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  14. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

I don't know about 'scientific proof' ...

... however there appears to be some empirical evidence that Qigong lowers blood pressure and cultivates well being (not necessarily the same as the sense of well-being). Whatever our stance on Qi, the fact of the matter is that Qigong was developed with the world-view of Qi being understood and treated as real.

That some medical professionals in the western medical tradition offer acupuncture as an adjunct or alternative to current conventional medicine appears to support the empirical argument as well. I know of two such MD's in the town where I live, and have in the past been successfully treated with acupuncture in support of current conventional approaches by one of those persons for stress related high blood pressure.

Acupuncture too was developed and exists within the paradigm of Qi existing/being 'real'.

Can I prove that Qi exists? No I can't. My perspective is coloured by personal first hand experience supported by trust that some professionals are happy to expand their practice to include the Qi paradigm.

Can you prove that Qi doesn't exist? No you can't, except that you too may have empirical evidence that Qi did not work to benefit certain conditions for which it was put to use.

I used to be ambivalent ... some might even say a naysayer on the subject of the reality of Qi. Now as far as I'm concerned, Qi definitely still on the menu.

Regards,

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  15. 47MartialMan

There were some studies which prove accupuncture having some fallacies. Rather the prove of something existing may be hard to do, as difficult, is proving that it actualy works as the claims is another part of the equation.

16. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Who are "they"? And please present the "compelling" research that proves that it exists.

17. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

I'm not on a Qi or acupuncture crusade, however as I said, my opinion is based on my personal experience with it and trust in my physician's expertise.

"Some studies" is a vague worthless argument to base your point of view. Which studies? To accept that something 'works as claims' requires understanding the paradigm. With regard to Qi, I don't. That doesn't stop me from experiencing the effect in a positive manner (for me). In other words, it worked for me ... and I couldn't care less if my physician explained that it required the psychic manipulation manifested through 7 brunette virgins and a tabby tomcat ...

There is no equation :).

18. holyheadjch

Do you also believe in the four humours? There was plenty of empirical evidence that treatments devised from the understanding of the humours were effective. Doesn't change the fact that it was all total nonsense.

19. holyheadjch

20. holyheadjch

For every good physician, there is a bad physician. If your Doctor recommended trepanning as a migraine treatment, would you be so quick to submit to his 'expertise'.
    This is fair enough, the placebo effect is an effect after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.