Why i don't want MMA to get super big

Discussion in 'MMA' started by kungfufighter, Jun 10, 2005.

1. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

Well, I don;t want mma is get really really big because.....
    1. Everyone's gonna start doing BJJ and MT and stuff and its gonna get annoying
    2. I'm gonna have a lot of competition trying to get big.

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I would not say they are the only style to benefit from it.

Wrestling
    Sombo
    Boxing
    Judo

List goes on - some trad schools are being force to re-think and add new areas of grappling and take down defences to there skillset. Its a good thing to be honest as it means the whole MMA community will benefit from its development.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!!!!

So everyone is supposed to drop their plans, their training and the millions of dollars it already generates so as to not annoy you?
    BWHWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
    Wake up... time to go to school. You've been typing in your sleep. Come back down to planet earth.
    :D

Hilarious. How old are you?
    In case you hadn't guessed... the whole point of MMA is competition. And while you were planning your global dominiation world tour from the house where you live with your mom an dad.... MMA is really big.

DOH!!! :eek:

4. Koryo

Koryo Valued Member

I hope it gets huge. That way, when everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon we'll already have a headstart [evil grin].

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

might have a better chance if you actually started training instead of worrying about the competition

and I would like it to get big as well, more talent

6. drifter

drifter New Member

Yeah, the big thing's a real bummer.

Like that funny lady on the street corner in the small outfit (doesnt she have a job to go to?) always says, the bigger the better.

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

You'd better start training harder then; because Mixed martial arts is slowly getting bigger and bigger.

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

MMA will get big and for good reason. Theres no reason to see this as a bad thing!

As Sonshu says other stryles can take from this what they want and benefit. So everyone wins :)

9. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

This is a silly argument. I've heard people say this before and even stuff about street self defence that pretty soon with the popularity of MMA every one will know what works and what doesn't etc etc...yawn!!!

yes its getting bigger and more people are aware of the sport, but that doesn't mean they will train in it!! Even the "bandwagon" clubs soon get found out, because when it comes to competing they realise they haven't got a hope because, believe it or not, you can't learn to be good by watching a few UFCs! They just can't cut it.

Plus training is HARD and most people can't stick with it. Even people that go to decent clubs, without the right attitude and incentive don't get anywhere...they'll think they are hard and soon fall short when it comes to going up against a properly trained opponent.

After all boxing has been around for centuries and you don't hear every bloke on every street corner or in every pub talk about the boxing training he did last night or throwing perfect jab/cross/hook combinations

Forget this nonsense! Keep training properly and stop worrying about stuff that won't happen.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Thats a very good point actually; boxing is a very popular sport, it's always on tv, and globally recognised. Yet the schools are normally difficult to find, and people generally do not keep it up for long because of the training required, the physical depends such as regular sparring, and because it's aimed towards competition.

11. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Yes, I agree with Garibaldi. Although MMA is getting more accessible on TV doesn't mean to say more people will be doing long-term MMA training cos they'll find it too hard. Lots more might try MMA, which can only be good for the "sport" as those with natural ability and the right attitude might take it further.

For example, if you think about MA folks who've been doing light or no contact, stand-up arts like TKD, karate, kung fu etc for years - put them in a competitive MT or BJJ class and I'd bet my life you'd only have one or two out of ten comming back for more.

12. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

You dont *have* to compete to do MMA - you *can* compete in Kung Fu, TKD and Karate. Boxing gym near me does very hard conditioning and sparring sessions, but you dont have to fight competitively to train there. My TKD school does a tournament training class that'll make most people puke, and my WC instructor is clear that you must be able to take a hit to expect to defend yourself - and he dishes them out. Let's not tar all TMAs with same brush! It's the instructor, not the style, and the student, not the school.

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Oh hell, we can barely keep students in TMA classes because of the dedication required. What makes anyone think that because of the rising TV popularity of MMA it's going to make things any better in terms of people flocking into the schools? In the 70's it was KF, and the fadders fell to the wayside quickly, and the same thing has happened with Karate and TKD... they get popular, people join up, then they realize what they have to do and disappear. Now it's MMA's turn. Same thing will happen. Fadders will come in, train, realize it's not everything they thought it was, and leave.

14. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Well said sir!

If I had a pound for every "hard" man I have spoken to that has said they can fight and could fight in the cage, then comes along to training sessions to disappear and never return then I'd be rich!!! (actually I'd have £7, but you get my point) :D Most of them can't even stand the class warm up before giving up for a rest!!

15. crovax612

crovax612 Valued Member

I definately want it to get bigger. Then the fighters will start getting paid what they deserve, especialy the guys in the lower weight divisions who get peanuts compared to some boxers. I remember hearing that a lightweight fighter in the UFC made $2,000 a fight. You can't live off that (well, barely), and that's the UFC.

I want to get into it someday aswell, and I'll be honest and say that I want to become the best fighter I can be. And you're not going to reach your full potentiol fighting chumps. "You gotta beat the best to be the best."