Why has GKR been allowed to spread when it is the epitome of McDojo?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Paoquan, Feb 25, 2021.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

To be honest it’s a mess , there isn’t a “single” regulatory body in UK karate though the EKF seem to have some affiliation to the WKF for what that’s worth.
    I’ve had to do a bit of Googling to jog my memory to be honest as I knew there was an effort to pull everyone together , it was in 2005 by a group called Karate England it was a nice idea but , inevitably, politics and egos got in the way as some of the larger existing groups expected to walk in and run the show.
    I think there may have been a thread on it back in the day , I’ll have a look.

2. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Active Member

Interesting, thanks. And I’m still unclear on this, are these government agencies, or are they private industry groups who are trying to self-regulate the industry?

If it is a government regulator, then I would assume membership and compliance is mandatory. If it is a private group trying to self-regulate the industry, I would assume membership or compliance is optional.

3. bassai

Gotcha , non of them are involved with the government in any way shape or form , the worst they can do is kick you out which would void your liscencing and insurance , at which point you’d just join someone else anyway.
    The whole idea of Karate England was to pull everyone together and have some kind of sports council involvement , as I said it ended badly , there’s a thread touching on their demise here Karate England: The saga continues (to go downhill rapidly)

Flying Crane likes this.
  4. Flying Crane

Got it. And is it impossible to get insurance if you are not a member of one of these Groups? What is the license? Is it membership recognition, or does it affect an ability to have a business license and operate legally? Can you operate as an independent?

5. bassai

You have to have 2 forms of insurance , public liability which the instructor pays for the self , and person to person liability which comes from the governing body , this is proven by a ticket that’s attached in what’s commonly called your licence book , which also serves as you grading history , and is renewed by every club member annually.It’s probably where the getting your hands registered as deadly weapons myth came from as well.

6. Flying Crane

Ok, I can see the UK has a very different system than the US. I still don’t quite understand how it all stacks up but that is ok and is probably not easily discussed in an online forum. A face-to-face discussion would be easier. I appreciate the insights.

bassai likes this.
  7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

How many Karate politicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
    1 to change the lightbulb,
    4 to try and standardise the way you change lightbulbs,
    whilst 5 break ranks and go to fit a separate lightbulb because they don't like the way the other 5 are doing it.

Mitlov and Flying Crane like this.
  8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

They are private organisations that may, if they fulfil the criteria, be 'recognised' by the government: National governing bodies | Sport England, which provides access to a bunch of services and sometimes a bit of funding.
    You assume wrongly, it's a kind of public-private partnership which gives some advantages to those who are involved in it but is never compulsory.

Flying Crane and Dead_pool like this.
  9. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

There is a karate NGB now actually, British Karate Federation, basically something had to be knocked together in order to select the Olympic team. Not sure to what extent this is a different faction from those previous attempts or if some of the same people are involved.

Also a bit complicated because as far as I can tell the BKF is recognised by Sport UK and the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish bits are recognised by their respective governments, but the English affiliate (EKF) isn't so far.

10. Flying Crane

Truth.