Why has British fighting culture since the 19th Century Has been stereotyped as being"Fists Only"?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SlamDunkerista, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Need I not remind about Maria Felix's few action roles? Or Victor Bo saving Argentina's Marilyn Monroe? Even JOhn Wayne's very silly sloppy fight choreography made use of legs when appropriate in his early days as a B actor including practical-for-the-street techniques most martial artists including a good number of MMA fighters are unaware off like pushing a charging enemy away with both feets while your back is laid flat on the ground because your enemy's hit made you fall. Mother freaking John Wayne for Mary's sake!

Of just so sheer nonsense the "fist only" stereotype is, take a look a The Big Trees one of Kirk Douglas's unknown flicks. Despite a culture even far more removed from old English martial tradition, its use of not just kicks but grappling should show to anybody that if they assumed English fighting is all about "gentlemanly" knuckle punching, they obviously not only lack experience in actual brawls but show a lack of knowing barebones history and even off topic stuff like criminology.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You lost me at Everquest servers.

Mental illness or trolling; I can't decide...

I have no idea what point you are trying to make, so let's just say you win. Have a great day.

axelb likes this.
  3. Need I not remind about Maria Felix's few action roles? Or Victor Bo saving Argentina's Marilyn Monroe?
    Its not either of them.

I mean did you at least even bother googling the role Joanna Lumley plays in the Avengers franchise? At least try doing that.. Be I take it you didn't even read the obituary on Roger LaFon right If you knew anything about Savate, you'd know just how important he is (and in particular his influence on not just French but British TV as seen witht he Avengers).

I take it you didn't read my response? Because you seem pretty ignorant of wrestling in general too.

You also completely missed the point about EverQuest. I used that because it seems so many people on not just this place but Reddit and MArtial Arts Forums are so out of touch with subjects outside of martial arts but even simple pop culture.

Which you yourself shows because you don't even know that the Avenger sequels had ope Savateurs (as in they really reveal their styles are based on stuff from France). INcluding one of the leads. SOyou missed hte point of me referencing EverQuest.

4. David Harrison

If kicking and grappling are such an integral part of British culture, why did Joanna Lumley's character learn kicking in France?

Why did Honor Blackman learn Judo for The Avengers? Why did Emma Peel take Karate lessons?

Why are you confusing fiction with reality? Even if these characters were Cornish shin kickers, they aren't real.

I grew up with Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks on the telly, I'm aware of that, thanks. You know how many kids at my school wrestled during that time? Zero. You know how many boxed? Zero. There was a Judo class in my village, that was it for fighting traditions. Everyone played football though.

Oh, and making your points in this thread is sufficient. You don't have to repeat them on my profile and in private messages, thanks.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Who's this Joanna Lumley you keep mentioning? I'm sure she's absolutely fabulous and relevant to the discussion but I've no idea who she is.

Botta Dritta, bassai and Simon like this.
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Amen and co-signed.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I bet everyone in your village was really good at kicking in fights then? :)

David Harrison likes this.
  8. David Harrison

This is quite good, actually; you're making my points for me.

How could I, a man in his 40s, born and bred in Great Britain, be ignorant of our ubiquitous wrestling traditions?

It's a head-scratcher for sure...

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You named Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. You're pretty clued up my man.
    Name drop Kendo Nagasaki or Mick McManus and you'd be basically at degree level knowledge. You'll get there.

David Harrison likes this.
  10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I'm confused but to sum up the thread for those of us going cross eyed at a wall of text from a certain poster...someone not from the UK is trying to tell those who grew up in the UK what our fighting and sports traditions are?

bassai likes this.
  11. David Harrison

Yes, but they had a grandmother who was Scottish and they have an encyclopaedic knowledge of The New Avengers TV series, so they know better than us.

icefield likes this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I mean I really liked Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid so that makes me basically American.

13. David Harrison

They're all really good at fan-firing Colt Peacemakers from horseback, I saw it on the telly.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I mean Americans must also be really good at using weapons because they can all swing baseball bats.

15. David Harrison

That's a very good point.

Why are Americans stereotyped as not being good at fighting with swords when they all play baseball?

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Of all the great things and shows in American culture, THAT is what you liked Smitfire?:eek:;) Yikes!

bassai likes this.
  17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So I was 8 or 9 to be fair. I wasn't exactly appraising its artistic merits. :)
    And as a kid I had white blonde hair (as opposed to my grey/white hair now!) and always gravitated towards characters with blonde hair like Bo Duke. Dunno why really.

18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I can use air wolf if you’d prefer , not sure that would help though , maybe knight rider?

Grond likes this.
  19. David Harrison

Aaradia must mean The A-Team.

bassai likes this.
  20. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Now , that is surely a great example of how Americans fight.