Why Hapkido?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by estranged13, Jul 29, 2006.

1. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

I am wondering why everyone else here is practicing Hapkido. I think it would be facanating to hear what everyones experiences is and how they ended up doing this unique art.

2. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

I'll start.

I started martial arts when i was six. My dad did Taekwondo at the local community center and i wanted to do it too. When i was 11 we both quite because our grandmaster was accused of some very bad federal crimes.

Since then i've always felt like i wanted to do some martial arts but that was the only place in town. I found out that he was cleared of the charges but never knew that, so i decided to go back about 5 years ago. I learned that i shouldn't buy into rumors and find facts out before i make decisions.

My wife took a self defence class in college and it turned out to be taught by a Aikido master and she enjoyed it and she kept with it through college. When she moved home with me i took Aikido with her at a different school that was about 50 miles from where i lived.

We got married and moved to Nebraska for her to go to Grad school and we looked all over Lincoln for a martial arts school that we both liked. We couldn't find an Aikido school that was even close to the kind of Aikido she did, and their isn't an Olympic style TKD school for Miles. So we searched for quality of instruction over style and ended up at a Karate school here in lincoln.

After a year of the Karate we both were unhappy, I missed my TKD (i practied at home still but a lot of the Karate contradicted TKD) and my wife hates forms and likes a more practical art.

About 4-5 months ago we started looking for a different school again. We found a TKD school in town that is close to what i did, and Hapkido was taught their too (Jointlock is my teacher now.)

Hapkido is the style my wife was really looking for because she wants a more practical and diverse style and i like it a lot because i'm learning a lot of new things that completement my training.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The movie "Billy Jack" made Hapkido seem like the coolest art around and I really wanted to study it "someday"...

I got into a TKD school that had a little Hapkido in it, later expanded with Combat Hapkido. I got a chance to go to Korea so as soon as I got there I signed up at the local Hapkido school (then swicthed to a better one) and saw that not only did it "seem" like the coolest art, it is!

Nowadays, back in the US, I still study TKD and Combat Hapkido and still stay up on the traditional HKD I learned. It's all god (and made beter by the great instructors I have had and still have!)

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Here it goes for me.

I was always interested in martial arts. The different philosophies, techniques, histories, ect. I had a friend who was a TKD black belt. He knew my interest and got me down to the dojang. Originally I was suppose to take TKD, but I saw a class tht caught my eye. I asked what the class was, and the instructor told me Hapkido. I finally decided to take it, and I have not looked back.