Why dont many girls do Judo?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by pink warrior, Aug 6, 2005.

1. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

In Jiujitsu last week a women who was a judo player joined in (I do Judo as well and the Sensei is a 3rd Dan in Judo, so we have good ties).

She was no worse than any of the other Judo players out there, the only thing against her (especially with me) was her size - she was tiny!

Speaking for myself, when partnered up with a woman I do find myself to be careful, not in terms of hurting them, but of where my hands go!

For example in that class, we were catching kicks and sweeping the other leg from out under. I aimed to catch the kick at the knee, but a couple of times I took it high and my arm wrapped around her thigh and I thought "Oh ****!"

She didn't seem bothered (she is probs used to it), but I'm not. In my Tai Chi when pushing hands with a woman, I am just holding onto arms as I dare not go near the torso lest my hands brush against the dreaded boobies!

It's accidental, and I am sure most women out there realise this, but some may take exception non the less and I certainly don't want a rep as some perv with wandering hands!

So when I am faced with a woman to train with, it's not hurting her on my mind, its where I touch.

2. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

When two guys get together, we can tend to compete. When it comes to something like fighting, we can get dumb! :D

3. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

My experience of Judo was that it was predominantly all female. There were a couple of guys there but that was it. The girls that I trained with weren't very good at it

4. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

Just out of curiosity, how many of the girls did wrestling in school? Granted, it was a while ago now, but when I was in school, the girls did other sports when the boys did wrestling. Perhaps this is why grappling is viewed as more masculine?

5. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

You did wrestling at school? Man I wish I had done that. In England we are usually stuck with football (soccer to you Americans) or rugby. I would love it if the government taught martial arts. We could open a junior UFC league!

6. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

ROFLMAO!! I think it is funny when the guys in my class try and make sure they don't go there! Really... when you are grappling... the most that may happen is you end up on the wrong side of an elbow... or your opponent pushes off your chest to make room!
    To me it is the same as if they were pushing off my arm... there is nothing sexual or offensive about it... I know they aren't do it to get their jollies! lmao!!
    I actually find it very funny... and use it to my full advantage! hehehe

7. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I think that I got into grappling so late because this gi didn't exist when I was a kid...
    [​IMG] :D

8. julesgrant22

julesgrant22 New Member

I agree that many females dont get involved with martial arts.

As a female, I think in todays society that we should be able to defend ourselves if we need to.

Most females are probebly worried about getting their hair messed up and getting all sweaty and yucky.

I dont do Judo but as a sports student have come into contact with tons of sports - I dont really notice getting all yicky and sweaty as Im usually focused.

9. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Not many girls go for martial arts, I agree, specially for sparring. Some like to do forms and that's it.

Personally I love sparring. In my dojang there are more guys than girls.

I've been considering learning judo. I don't have any problem with grappling with guys.

10. backkickgurl

backkickgurl New Member

my friend leigh anderson is a judo player and she is one of the olympic hopefuls for the uk olympics im a girl but dont do judo im a kung fu kid myself
    i know at least 4 other girls in martial arts i think for girls its becoming more common place, hopefully more ladies will learn some sort of self defence :)

11. JudoGuy

JudoGuy Valued Member

And what don't you understand

Ok, and you want to know why there are not many women training in Judo, and other martial arts. :)

Though certainly far more men start Judo than women (probably 3 to 1) I suspect the really big difference shows up when you look at how many stick around. Females tend to hit monster issues in their lives which cause them to leave. Girls discovering boys, women getting married, having babies etc.

Sure boys discover girls too, but that only reaffirms the need to prove themselves with something Macho like throwing another guy. :) Besides everyone knows that "Chicks Dig Scares."

My wife trained in Aikido for years, but I think she just got tired of answering questions like: How did you get that bruise? Russ doesn't hit you does he? And my personal favorite during a doctors visit: Is there something that you would like to tell me?

-Russ (The Judo Guy)
    The JudoGi Store
    www.judogis.com