Why does stretching hurt in the morning?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by miniDekkers, Sep 7, 2010.

1. miniDekkers

miniDekkers Valued Member

I notice stretchin hurts a lot more in the morning than at night. Also in the morning I'm never as flexible as I was the night before. I have to "work my way" there I guess.

Also, can someone give me a few stretches for the "rear" or quad I guess (Dynamic Rear Stretch). I seem to neglect that stretch the most, can you tell me the importance of stretching it ?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'm guessing because everything tightens up during the low activity sleep you've just had. Wait until your my age & older.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Two reasons:

1) Muscle tonus is lowest in the morning.

2) Athletic ability oscillates. It's not unusual for your flexibility to be occasionally worse than in a previous workout.

4. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

miniDekkers, you should read the flexibility threads in the Flexibility Section.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Another issue would be that your fascia has grown while you were sleeping. Much of the fascia is a spiderweb type network of filaments. If left undisturbed for an amount of time it increases not only in amount but it becomes less pliable. It's only recently that scientists and sports physios and PT's are even really starting to consider the relationship between the musculature and your myofascial system.

Well worth reading up on.

6. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

Oh thanks for that slipthejab (/sarcasm), you mean it's even more complicated than we thought?

Why can't scientist just decide we know everything and stop discovering new stuff we have to learn :)