Why does everyone put this art down

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by straughany10, May 13, 2010.

1. iammartialarts

iammartialarts Banned Banned

its not the art its the practitioner, ive see different art win or lose, its the person actually doing it that has more to do with it than the art in my opinion.

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Those are all part of warfare, but none of those situations are considered fighting, at least not by me, because there is no struggle involved between the two parties.. If the targets were to defend themselves, then it becomes a fight.

You can't seriously try and tell me that shooting an unsuspecting target from a safe distance is the same as getting into a gun fight with them.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Hey. I am just making sure what someone considers a "fight"

Any type of "warfare", to some, believe it is "fighting"

4. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

Of course war is fighting, by its very definition!! Whether both sides engage in the conflict or not doesnt matter. If I attack someone, I am fighting them. If they put up resistance, they would also be fighting

But at the end of the day, does anyone really care about the definitions of fighting? When I engage in a fight, whether to defend myself, protect my friends, or in a sport environment, Im not going to worry about whether someone classifies it as fighting - Id be more worried about surviving!!

Anyway, this seems to have seriously gone off topic. I thought the point of the thread was to ascertain why everyone puts wing chun down????

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I have to give you Kudos for your post.

Like many threads which go off topic, WC does have its share of being put down as well.

6. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

See post #6.

7. sobshotta

sobshotta Valued Member

im in wing chun at the moment and i think to fix the weaknesses of the art you need to confuse the opponent in my opinion i do boxing an learn a couple judo techniques an they work the combination of the 3 works. i use boxing for the long range punches an force my way inside their space then pummel them with wing chun if if he tries to take me to the ground that's whats judo is for.Its a mix that works for me.

8. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I assume that by this comment you spar using an MMA sort of ruleset (because sparring needs a rulset) and that's how you know it works for you?

9. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

Thats a good attitude to have. Its tiring when I hear chunners whinge that 'if you use BJJ/judo/wrestling, you arent using PURE wing chun'. They have go to the stage where they insist that we arent learning proper wing chun if we dont know how to handle ourselves on the floor.

Wing chun is not designed for the ground and it is good to see a few chunners looking to improve their overall game by including other arts that are the best in their field.

Good luck to you Sobshotta - you sound like you are on the right path dude

10. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned