why do you use MAC

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by roninmaster, May 7, 2011.

?

what/why do you use MAC computers for?

1. for video editing or multimedia design

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. for graphic or print design

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. other business reason specific to mac

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. like of apple products

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. like of apple's perticular design, or marketing flavor

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. dislike of windows and or linux based systems

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. no perticular reason

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. other

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

this is of course an off topic post. However i wanted to do a survey on people who are MAC users.

i myself am a newly converted MAC user. My major is multimedia/digital art. specifically video editing, effect design, animation, and website design. So i use my mac mostly because final cut studio is the industry standard for editing here in the U.S. and thatr was a large factor into why i chose one. the other reason being that MAC have a tendancy to last a lot longer without major system problems or failure. as well as the mac community help and support that comes along with having one.

However these are only my reason

my poll is specifically to those who are devoted mac user for whatever reason. Simply why do you choose mac of over PC for whatever you use it for. maybe similar to my reason or another. this is just for my personal knowledge and resourcing.

2. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I started using a mac since I was 16 mainly started with college design etc, and I've stuck with them ever since. I did have a few window based boxes here but now eveything is mac, media station, audio, visual, work horse everything love apple products :)

3. Lau

Lau 8-bit power

I use Macs, and other Apple products, simply because they work.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

No option for when it's raining?

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I'm using a Mac for a couple of reasons - I really don't like Windows, and I'm liking Linux less as time goes on - I miss the older days in Linux (the pre-Ubuntu days).

Next, I bought this used MacBook Pro at a Hamfest for ~200USD, and I'm really happy with how it runs (MBP 1,1; needed repairs when I bought it). It runs smoother then my Win 7 desktop and my Win 7 lappy (desktop - Phenom II x3 BE @3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; lappy Turion x2 Ultra @ 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM). Only thing that the Desktop does better is gaming (Radeon 5770 works pretty well).

6. righty

righty Valued Member

Because of licensing agreements at work, the MAC machines are the only ones we can get that are powerful enough for tasks we need it for.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I prefer rainbow wheels to egg timers.

8. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

One nit pick here:
    MAC = Media Access Control, which is the unique id given to network devices like modems and network cards.
    Mac = Macintosh computers by Apple!

I bought a PowerBook G4 back in 2004 because I was tired of having to maintain my PC and then still have to watch it crash and be a pain in my rear. I have been an IT worker (PC repair to support which I do now) for more than 10 years. When I go home, I don't want another tech project. I just want to open things up and get to it.

Macs don't need to run antivirus. That is a big plus right there! And old as mine is, it's still very stable. I normally don't need to restart it unless I've applied a system update.

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

with this being a Martial Arts forum in all I didn't really expect this would be about Mac foundation, but was disappointed nonetheless as I have been thinking of trying Mac, or possibly Bobbi Brown

10. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I get a laptop from work... choice was mac or linux. The mac offering had a higher resolution & bigger screen. So yeah.

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Used PC's for what, 20 years? Something crazy like that, and I've forever been disappointed. Stuff doesn't work the way it's supposed to work. For some reason last summer I decided to try a Mac laptop, and wow -- this thing is great! Stuff works!

It's like switching from Chevy to Ferrari. How can I go backwards now?

12. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

It has a nice Terminal. I am a sysadmin + programmer.

13. illumin7

illumin7 Valued Member

Use Mac mainly for Pro Tools, Dreamweaver, and Quark express and Snow Leopard has always been easy on the eyes so much so I had to get a Snow Leopard theme for Windows 7.

14. kitkatninja

kitkatninja Valued Member

Personally I only use my mac as a media center (sometimes, other times it's my Xbox 360). At work, from a technical point of view we upgrade (hardware/software) and make sure that they work. Apart from that, we leave the things alone :)

-Ken

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I don't like Mac's, I never really got on with them. I'm a UNIX administrator by trade but while its a fantastic server operating system, it blows as a desktop OS. Ubuntu can suck it, I'm tired of people putting that on their CV's and trying to pass it off as UNIX/Linux experience too.

Maybe this post should be in the Grrr thread

16. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

If media-based work or hobbies are my primary foundation then I would probably opt for a Mac, but since my computer is primarily for gaming purposes and MS Office second, a PC is much better suited.

I like Macs, I think they are well-built computers with a great operating system, and I think it does run smoother than Windows 7. But I have not had any issues in regards to system failures (yet) on this version of Windows, and besides the occasional virus (which I believe is very easy to delete) from some obscure downloads, I think Windows is a lot less "injury prone" than what a lot of PC-haters (Mac fanboys) claim.