Why do you study Ninjutsu?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sandstorm:RS, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Sandstorm:RS

Sandstorm:RS Valued Member

Having read through the varisous posts and the need for moderators to jump in and post warnings on this forum more often than any other, I would like to know why people genuinely choose Ninjutsu as their martial art of choice as opposed to any other art? Tradition, combat, lineage, general interest, closest club to where you live?
    Please take note: that I am not interested in any bad mouthing, back stabbing or other nonsense that has gone on in the past. Adult conversation regarding your personal reasons for studying this art?

Kind regards

Sandstorm:RS

2. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Black is slimming.

- Mark Spada

3. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

it is true though, we cant manage a thread with being civil for once can we!!! :-D

4. Sandstorm:RS

Sorry you took it that way mate, it's nothing personal. check out my age, experience in martial arts, what i teach and you will get some idea of why I am asking this question. it's not a pop or anything like that towards anyone who can provide a good genuine honest answer.

regards

R

5. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Just a friendly suggestion:

Perhaps you should be more precise with your question. Instead of using the term ninjutsu, which is not only a sure way to start arguments over the use of the term but will also undoubtedly entice trolls from other forums here like chum thrown in a shark tank, you might consider rewording your question thusly:

I would like to know why people genuinely choose to study Takamatsuden or martial arts derived from them. ( ie. To Shin Do )

Again, just a suggestion.

- Mark Spada

6. Sandstorm:RS

Point taken Mark and thank you for that.

The reason I chose the word ninjutsu as opposed to takamatsu-den or related sub systems (branch off's, if you like) was to attract eveyone into a mature conversation where sensible individuals like to discuss a subject that they clearly love to do inrrespective of which line you are comming from.

regards

R

7. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

My reason was for the historical aspects.

Then once I took a closer look the taijutsu aspects were fascinating too

What about yourself?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  8. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

You could do a great deal towards eliminating the so-called "silly" answers by limiting the question being asked to, you know....people who actually study and practice Takamatsuden or arts derived from them.

If you are genuinely seeking serious responses and are not here simply to start a flame war, you should only ask serious practitioners to begin with.

- Mark Spada

9. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

It would help as well if people didn't start arguing why they think the question should be phrased better, rather than just answering the question that was asked...

Anyway.

I practise ninpo simply because in Genbukan, it's what you learn if you want to learn jujutsu. It's a package deal in most dojo. I want to learn traditional Japanese martial arts in a structured , traditional way. If I had had the option to study a koryu jujutsu when I decided to get back into MA, I'd have chosen that. As it is, my search for traditional jujutsu brought me to a Genbukan dojo close to where I live.

10. Sandstorm:RS

Good honest answer mate, thanks for that.

I started getting intrested back in the late 70's/early 80's when I picked up a book in my then local martial arts shop written by Adams. Facinating but limited information compared to what is available today.

regards

R

11. gapjumper

That was the first book I read too (on ninjutsu, not ever:))

12. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I was in a laundrymat one day and saw a Bujinkan Shidoshi's business card. Just so happened the week previous my then current wife had knocked out one of my molars. Seemed fitting 17 yrs, pretty happy with the choice. Other than a seminar here and there to expand my horizons, I have stuck to the art.

13. Sandstorm:RS

it was revolunionary for it's time and turned everything I was taught about the martial arts on it's head.

reagrds

R

14. Sandstorm:RS

Ha,ha,ha, how's the tooth, or lack of should I say?

Well said Bujingodai I respect that tremendously.

regards

R

15. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I like the integrated approach to things.

16. Sandstorm:RS

Absolutely! Any specific areas?

Regards

R

17. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Starting with integrated, transferable body mechanics, progressing through into training in applying those mechanics along with timing, distancing, and angling, and adding awareness and enduring/persevering mindset training into the mix can offer a student an interesting amount of freedom in life.

18. Sandstorm:RS

Yeah, I would agree with that mate including the freedom in life bit. Unless of course you're married!!

regards

R

19. gapjumper

Sandstorm: are you Bujinkan, Genbukan, Jinenkan or other?

20. Sandstorm:RS

I was waiting for someone to ask that. I used to be Booj but am now other. But I am NOT anyone you would see on youtube slagging of the kans yet teaching the same.

hope this helps?

regards

R