why do you put disabled people down?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by matbla, Jun 14, 2006.

1. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

why do you put disabled martial arts down on this board?
    i thank we should all learn from every one even if they are
    disabled martial arts,,, can learn alot from them
    that they have something to teach us that
    they need help too .
    from matt blake

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Matt ... we recently had a member who posted some rather abusive comments.

Pay no mind to that please.

"This forum area was set up not to label disabled Martial Artists in any negative way. If anything we hoped it would highlight the positives that people can get from Martial Arts"

"Martial Arts is all about overcoming adversity"

"Discussing your disabilities and the issues they raise in the main forum can cause them to be overlooked, ignored or even viewed as "trolling" by people who misunderstand the aim of the post (I remember a disabled member we had a while back who mistakenly got labled as a troll because of some of the things he said, and subsquently, we haven't seen them since)"

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7985

3. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Cannot speak for everyone else here ,but I don't..Do as KickChick says and "Pay them no mind"..

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Matt,

Are you thinking of what that nazi idiot said on that thread yesterday?

If so, then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I were you. He was just a troll. 99.99999999999% of the human race don't think like that.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

wow I must have missed the 'put downs'.

Needless to say Matt we here at MAP don't put disabled people down... in fact most here would go out of there way to champion the rights of disabled people to be as able and willing as they can.

I don't think you have to worry about MAP.
    We got your back bro. :)

edit: Matt I went back and read those comments and I think we can agree that the person who posted them is rather clueless. Sometimes you have to deal with idiots like that.. thankfully here at MAP the posters and the MOD's are on top of the game and can hit the IDIOT button fairly quickly. So you have no need to worry. Continue to post as you always have.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Bump^^ could not have said any better Slip!

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Weird this thread came up today, I've just been laughing myself stupid at a standup comic called Josh Blue. He's got cerebral palsy, and it's a big part of his act, but he's using his disability as an advantage not a hindrance. Here's some links if you want to see for yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQGj_OHUc1g"]Josh Blue in L.A. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rCS5sgPrY"]Josh Blue Last comic Standing - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

He is hysterical.... he is one of the reasons I've been watching the show.

I hope he wins! :)

9. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Funny Stuff

Josh is awesome. Matt, pay no more mind to that guy. Remember that every punch or kick we throw makes narrow minds a little wider. :)

10. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Like already said Matt, dont paid any attention to the idiots. Disabled/abled there's no difference on these boards! And thats the way it'll stay too.

11. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Just respect - that's all you need.
    Self respect, respect for others, and respect for your sport.
    It's all so obvious!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  12. soctt03

soctt03 New Member

Hello there. would just like to say a definite 'no' to putting those with disabilities down. not in this camp. basically all that has been said thus far is ok with me. so if u do have a disability, then so be it, u just need to work on adapting your style to your own body - or is it the other way around (??) - but basically we all have skills to contribute regardless of all of our abilities!! have a great day!!

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've been thinking about this, and I just want to say that I don't believe in 'disabled martial artists'.

There are some martial artists who have disabilities (and they have their own challenges, just like we all do) but at the end of the day, a martial artist is a martial artist.

I hope that makes sense.

14. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Did I miss a chance to roast a troll? Darn!

15. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Where have disabled people been put down in MAP? I've never seen it. I've made the conclusion that no matter what you are like or what you do someone will make fun of you on the internet.

16. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi,

1) I've never met anyone who is 'disabled' and I've met people in wheelchairs, people with a wide range of interesting physical or mental conditions - but 'disabled' is just a label - you want it you can have it - personally I've got better things to do :)

2) My ALL TIME hero in the martial arts (even more so than Bruce Lee and yes I am a huge Bruce Lee FAN) is TED VOLLRATH - Check out this link:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/R?r107:FLD001:H50180
    or http://www.mahinc.net/index_.html

If I ever get to be half as good as Ted Vollrath I'll be mighty pleased!!!!

Oh yes there ARE lots of people in the world who sadly only look at the superficial and there are lots of people who enjoy belittling others and trying to cause others pain - I suggest feeling sorry for them as they are truly disabled.

All the best.

Robert.

17. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

So very very true!

Kelly

18. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

I consider myself lucky because I live where Josh lives which is Denver Colorado. I just recently heard of him a few days ago...and what was strange to me is that my name is Josh, I have cerebral palsy, and even though I wasn't born in Denver...I wasn't even born in the states I still live here:) However my name is not Josh Blue, Joshua Powell:) I'm also not as funny;) But I componsate for that by having my second degree black belt in the Korean art Kuk Sool Won:)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  19. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

I'm passionately opposed to people who "put down" disabled people in any way, shame I missed that troll yesterday - Iwould have gave him a piece of mind :bang:

20. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

I'm afraid I didn't understand what you guys were talking about...what did the person say?