Why do you practice ninjutsu, How has it benefited you ?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bujinkanplym, Mar 7, 2004.

1. bujinkanplym

bujinkanplym Valued Member

I am posting this as i am interested in why do you study ninjutsu? , this post is mainly aimed at Togakure-ryu Bujinkan Ninjutsu students and intsructors.

please answer these questions if you have time :

1. Why do you study Ninjutsu ?

2. How has Ninjutsu benefited you ( physical , mental ect) ?

3. Do you enjoy Training in Ninjutsu and why ?

4. Do you belive that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ?
    ( examples are shinobi-iri - stealth and entering methods , ba-jutsu - horsemanship , sui-ren - water training and kayaku-jutsu - fire and explosives)

thanks from Bujinkan Plym ( reference to the 18 levels of togakure-ryu teachings are taken from Dr. massaki hatsumi ,book Ninjutsu History And Traditon )

2. Tudoggz

Tudoggz Valued Member

hello! il try and answer these as best as i can :D

i do ninjutsu because i think it is a true warriors art. To me its not only a development of a physical things like hitting and kicking, its the development of a fighting spirit and heart. it teaches you how to be gental and soft but also to be devastating and brutal. Above all i think (depends on the instructor i guess) it makes you a better person! :Angel: i could rant on for ever but ill stop lol

Ninjutsu has improved my reflexses alot, also my flexibilty. and of course has taught me how to protect my self, through fighting skills but also in being smart seeing a situation before it accours and maby avoiding it. Mentally it has helped me by teaching me to think more about anything! helped me to learn control over my anger problems i used to have! hehehe

training is the thing i enjoy most, simply because i love the art, i love learning it, and while im training nothing else matters. i am lost in training and i love it! helps me escape from stress ;)

4. Do you belive that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ?
    ( examples are shinobi-iri - stealth and entering methods , ba-jutsu - horsemanship , sui-ren - water training and kayaku-jutsu - fire and explosives)

hmmm as much as i would luv to learn every school. sum would b to unrealistic in the modern world eg. ba-jutsu but that dosnt mean its not good or would be good to learn just not realistic imo. kayaku-jutsu i dont know about u but theres ppl in the world i wouldnt want knowing this school lol

hope i didnt ramble.
    peace
    mick

3. bujinkanplym

Bravo , great answer's to my questions , finally sum1 who can write about ninjutsu with truthullness sir i salute you :D

4. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  5. Tudoggz

Tudoggz Valued Member

why thank you good sir *bows*

6. bujinkanplym

im likin the results of my questionaire , the more peeps that answer the better :Angel:

7. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

I'll take the survey...

> "1. Why do you study Ninjutsu ?"

It is interesting and useful.

> "2. How has Ninjutsu benefited you ( physical , mental ect) ?"

It has given me different perspectives on life, and given me the physical and mental skills to protect myself and enjoy life.

> "3. Do you enjoy Training in Ninjutsu and why ?"

Love it! It is fun; always physically and mentally stimulating; a good workout; good stress relief; good way to meet and socialize with like-minded people.

> "4. Do you belive that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ?
    ( examples are shinobi-iri - stealth and entering methods , ba-jutsu - horsemanship , sui-ren - water training and kayaku-jutsu - fire and explosives)"

I do train in all those areas. They are still a part of the bujinkan as far as I know. They will always be useful, regardless of time period.

> "5. "

That last one is too open-ended for me right now!

8. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Why me?

- First because I thought it is the coolest art I have ever seen in my life. Then it became all the things I could learn. Now it is all the things I will be able to do. To me learning Ninjutsu is like saying, "I want to be 'super human' or I want to become a Navy Seal." Stealth, climbing, running, silent movement, camouflage, concealment, weapon training, physical training, combat training, etc. All these things and more, wow. Who wouldn't want all that?

- Hm, haven't taken a class yet. Don't have no dojos by my house, but I'm saving for a home study course. I think it will help me physically (power control, balance, flexibility, etc), mentally (help me with my breathing techniques and meditation), and spiritually (not sure on that part yet, then again, it probably has helped and I just haven't realized it yet). Still, what I have learned from books and videos. I think it has helped me in those things.

- Of course, because it has everything I want. Acrobatics, grappling, balance, nerve and breaking techniques, elemental forms, etc. It is not a just do it type of art. It so many aspects that it couldn't be. For exsample, Karate is basically just the Earth element but Ninjutsu has four to become resulting in void.

- Oh yeah, they should be taught! Heck, that is one of the main reasons why I like it so much. I would love to learn it all. Of course on the weapons part I think you should learn more than just the sword, halberd, shuriken, bo, hanbo, spear, etc. Like you should also learn the more modern weapons, such as the nunchaku, sai, kama, and any other weapon you might want to learn. And you should learn some stuff on pharmacy and other medical stuff. I think it will be helpful in the end.

9. Rus

Rus New Member

To gain confidence and develop focus, it's also really interesting and fun and the people I train with are great.

It's helping with my flexibility and fitness, my confidence in myself has grown.

Yes I enjoy training. It's nice to see improvement in myself, often I don't have the technique nailed first time round but, usually, eventually I get there. And there is a good atmosphere.

I see no reason for them not to be taught as such, but our dojo certainly doesn't have a stable :) Would I like to learn them, definatly, do I think they are too old to be of use, definatly not.

10. ShadowHunter

ShadowHunter Living the Dream

Ninjutsu i think is more than just a fighting art it good for concentration and helps bring out the better side of someone :)

It has made me a better person and developed my senses and made me stronger and better.

Yes I enjoy training. I am trying to join the ninjutsu academy of Plymouth as i live in mannemead and want to learn around other people not just my dad! But i enjoy it because its practical it takes up the time and its an anceint tradition that i want to help carry on.

Definatly! They ar enever to old,i mean stealth is usful for all sorts of things whilst water training and explosives have many uses in modern life although horemanship might be difficult for some people who hav eno horses near them but still LEARN THEM THERE NEVER TO OLD!

11. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

1. Why do you study Ninjutsu ? As corny as it sounds, after trying several other arts, I can't imagine doing anything else. It is the only art that "feels" right. Body, mind and soul.
    2. How has Ninjutsu benefited you ( physical , mental ect) ? I'm calmer, more self assured, more humble (believe it or nor!). Flexibility is still there, when it may have lessened after several illnesses and surgeries.
    3. Do you enjoy Training in Ninjutsu and why ? Can you say "YYYEEESSS!" Because as I stated in #1, I can't imagine doing anything else. I can't imagine NOT doing this, it's been a part of my life for too long. It's fun, mentally and physically. And I have met some of the best, nicest, kindest people while training in this art.
    4. Do you belive that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ? Yes, I do believe they should be taught. And they still are, just have to find the right instructor who thinks you are ready to be taught. These "more traditional" teachings still have a place in todays world. They teach more than there outward appearance would suggest. Stealth for example, can teach patience and how to calm your mind.

P.S. Reminds me of a quote about tattoos... if don't have one, you'll never understand.... but if you do, I don't need to explain.

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  12. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

1. Why do you study Ninjutsu? As Kurohana said, it feels right. I study Ninjutsu because it is more than a fighting style, it encompasses a philosophy that I deeply believe in. I feel it prepares you for life, not just combat.
    2. How has Ninjutsu benefited you ( physical , mental ect) ? I have much more self-confidence, better reflexes, and increased flexibility. My balance and handspeed have also improved.
    3. Do you enjoy Training in Ninjutsu and why ? It's tough to contain my enthusiasm when I say "Yes!" It's challenging, it opens my mind, helps me relax and focus, and has helped me to meet some great people. I also love (specifically) the Kenjutsu. Something about that Kenjutsu just feels completely natural for me.
    4. Do you belive that some of the more traditional teachings of Bujinkan should be taught or are they too old to be of any use in the modern world ? I think they should be taught, albeit under controlled circumstances. I think that once people prove themselves responsible, they could be taught some of the more dangerous techniques. As Kurohana said, they will always be applicable as you learn more than just the techniques themselves. Principles are revealed that can be used across your life.

13. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

um i dont

i hope that helps lol

u said the more people the better :D

14. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I didnt think there was any Bujinkan in Plymouth, only Brian McCarthy's old out of date BBD?

15. ShadowHunter

ShadowHunter Living the Dream

There is greg its the Ninjutsu Acadmey of Plymouth and it teachs bujikan (i think)

16. mage-sama

mage-sama New Member

Right now, because I'm quite taken with one or more of my instructors. Apparently, they think I ought to be a kunoichi.

SUPA BALANCE! Does anyone else put slippery cloth or paper down on the floor while they're training? I found it really helped while learning side stomp kicks. Also, if you do junan taiso at least twice a day, amazing things will happen to you. And also, if you practice leaving your problems behind when you enter the training floor, pretty soon you'll notice that you don't have many problems to collect when you leave.

I do~! Because sensei is a wonderful, terrifying sort of person! As long as I've been training in his dojo, I've never ceased to learn and to reevaluate myself and my surroundings.

Of course, traditional things should be taught if only to preserve tradition, but also they are practical as long as application is taught. Sakki, the force of the killer, is one of the most important things a student of ninjutsu can learn to use and detect, although almost everyone in the western world will try to deny or disprove it. Sensei says this is because they haven't found a way to make money off of it yet ^^

>a note on what K Coffin said, how "once people prove themselves responsible, they could be taught some of the more dangerous techniques": ninjutsu isn't a sport, and while control over your 'opponent' is crucial, if you're not learning "dangerous" techniques from the get-go, it might only mean that your instructor isn't comfortable with them himself ^^

17. Gojen-Ki

Gojen-Ki New Member

I tought myself free style ninjitsu

1 Why do you study Ninjutsu?
    I study the art of ninjutsu because i've always wanted to be like some of the
    people that you would see on tv. but as i started i realized that not only does it feel great but it's a great feeling to do things that you know other people can't do, like flips over fences while being chased by friends, or sneaking up on one of your friends, or scaring them nearly to ****ing their pants. plus I
    think it's a way to free the mind and calm the soul. I usualy fight with a stick or sword that has been customised to fit my needs. plus I can't stand it when people mess with me or my friends and I love the looks in their faces when your standing there twirling a stick in their face. I mean, hell, who wouldn't

ninjutsu has benefited me by teaching me that pataince is everything and no matter how hard people try, they can never get to me(with out getting their ass kicked anyway).

ya, I love it. it's great exersise and i like sneaking up on my brother while he's trying to train, usualy getting him to react in a kick or punch that i can counter forcing him on his ass. good times :D .

( examples are shinobi-iri - stealth and entering methods , ba-jutsu - horsemanship , sui-ren - water training and kayaku-jutsu - fire and explosives)ya, sure. i don't have any use for ba-justu, but i find shinobi-iri and sui-ren great training methods, i also use smoke bombs so i would have to say that kayaku-jutsu can be useful at times

extra notes:
    i beleave that only being 15 i still have alot to learn, and i wont stop till i've mastered all the moves my older brother has tought me, plus the new ones that i have dicovered on the way. i'm glad that my favorite thing to do has inspired so many people, so thanks for all of the support and i hope that all of you keep beleaving in what you beleave in. and when times get rough, never give up.
    -thanks

18. RussianNinja

RussianNinja New Member

Well it started as an obsession. I went to websites like Real Ultimate Power, dreamed about being like the ninjas in anime. But then I found out that there is so much more. I began reading about stealth techniques, about the spirituality. I began to see flaws in myself and could see ways of fixing them.

I have a greater understanding of my body. It has done wonders for balance and I ski alot better now because of ninjutsu. I learned to control my temper and understand other peoples' temperaments.
    I love training because it makes me feel good. I feel that ninjutsu helps me learn how to use my body. I feel as if there is use for my muscles and the strength they exude.

Well they arent very practical, but mentally they could do good things. If you know how to do such obscure things as fighting ona horse or underwater you will be able to find exits out of tough situations and you will be able to see more options in how to live your everyday life.

I know Im new at ninjutsu having only studied it for 2 years. And I know that the way I came about knowing about it is laughable (disgusting even), but I feel that this is not just an obsession. I feel i will live with it and continue to study it all my life.

19. Alakhaine

Alakhaine New Member

What I read here about ninjutsu suprises me. I never practise that art, but as far as I am concerned, it is included in schools like Katori and Kashima, and has nothing to do with hand-to-hand fighting. As my master explained it to me ninjutsu was ment as art of moving fast and stealth in different environments (running, swimming, climbing, entering and exiting buildings), and all others parts of warriors training was same like samurai's (kenjutsu, jujutsu, shurikenjutsu et cetera). There was some special parts of trening like i.e. Kiaijutsu, but elements of it where included to all weapons arts as well. Could someone explained it to me?

20. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Ninjutsu is a complete battlefield art. It begins with Taijutsu (Body arts) that start with efficient movements, strikes, grapples, joint locks, feints and throws. We then apply our taijutsu to weapons and train in Kenjutsu, Bo/Jo/HanboJutsu, Shurikenjutsu, Yarijutsu, Naginatajutsu, and flexible weapons, like Manriki Gusari, Kunai, and Kyoketsu Shoge.

Ninjutsu also includes evasion, camoflauge, stealth walking, and exfiltration (running away - very important).

Others will be able to elaborate further.