Why do we rub our eyes when tired?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Melanie, May 15, 2008.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Taken from: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15120468.200-the-last-word.html

Q: I have often wondered why people rub their eyes when tired and assumed that it was some sort of social signal or gesture, perhaps learnt. However, after observing the same behaviour in two of my own children when only a couple of months old, I realised that it was something innate and probably served a physiological function. Can anyone tell me why we rub our eyes when we are tired and why when I lie on my back on the floor, even though I am not feeling weary, I have an almost uncontrollable urge to perform this strange action?

A: Rubbing the eyes makes use of the ocularcardio reflex— applying pressure around the rectus muscles that move the eyeball causes a response in the vagus nerve, through their close association. Vagal (parasympathetic) stimulation lowers heart rate, so we rub our eyes in order to slow ourselves down to prepare to sleep. Producing a vagal response in this manner (sometimes to the degree of inducing a faint) is used in martial arts, massage, hypnotism, and disabling violent prisoners/patients.

Do you agree with this?

2. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

If it works, why not.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting. I'd not heard that one before. It wouldn't surprise me if it was entirely true. A quick Google of the term 'ocularcardio response' doesn't turn up much however.

My immediate guess would have been that it was a subconscious attempt to prompt the tear ducts to secret a bit of tear to lubricate the eye... but the explanation you've come across isn't really so strange once someone considers the parasympathetic nervous system really. The way it interacts with the sympathetic nervous system is pretty dynamic.

The hearts response to vagal stimulation is an actual fact... pretty interesting stuff. There are some uses for this sort of stimulation to help people who suffer from epilepsy. Here's a bit on it on the bodies reaction to vagal stimulation - along with a bitchin'*: chart to prove it's scientific goodness.
    *actual scientific term

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  4. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Forgive me, but I never thought "vagal stimulation" had anything to do with eyes.
    Crikey, vagal stimulation and bitchin' in one post.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I would do it simply because babies do it. They tend to know things that we have forgotten.:)

regards koyo

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ahhh the devil is in the details... that's vagal not vaginal. ;)

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Personally I think it's a trick.

I'll go round to my girlfriend's place with '300', 'The Lord of the Rings Trilogy' or all seven 'Star Wars' films (including the 1978 Holiday Special) and within 20 minutes of putting on the first movie she's rubbing her eyes and face all sleepy leepy leepy.

Once in bed she's no longer sleepy... :mad: erm, I mean ;)

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think that's a misprint in the article. Try "oculocardiac reflex" - there's an eponymous name for it too but I can't remember what it is.

9. Last edited: May 16, 2008
  10. PaFF

PaFF Valued Member

Reminds me of the joke...

Why do women rub thier eyes in the morning?

Cause they have no ***** to scratch.

11. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar