Why do some people insult Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dori_kin_86, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I never have any problems with people when I'm playing with the heavybag or sparring, but as soon as I start grappling, everyone freaks out. I wrestled at my old school and nobody ever made fun of it, so it kind of caught me off guard when I got that kind of reaction here.

2. kayraku

kayraku New Member

if your gettin made fun of its because you either sucks at it (not sayin that u do or that people dont just like you in genral. im one of the poular kids at school and they think me doin martial arts is cool so there making fun of you not martial arts

3. kayraku

kayraku New Member

no offense if it soudned kinda mean

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Without wanting to open up the debate about if it's an art or not yet again, WingChun Lawyer used quotation marks when he said "real fighting art". He was making his point by explaining how someone without a great degree of intelligence might see things.

5. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

k, fixed, your right. Disturbed earlier and looking for an argument.

6. mhyst

mhyst New Member

hahaha right on

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  7. 4141

4141 New Member

Talking trash

I don`t care about small minds. My problem is that Martial artists make fun and talk about other martial artists. How many times have you heard people in our own community talk trash about other styles. I was on another web site and that is all it was small minded people spreading rumors.

8. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

Well, there are many martial arts which, as a rule, produce bad fighters. The reasons for that include both dubious business practices and the teachers denial in acknowledging that some parts of their styles or training methods are incomplete, unrealistic or just plain stupid. So it is no wonder people find many styles easy targets, with some reason I suppose.

9. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

Just more dumb social prejudices.

I especially detest the kids my age that claim they could mop the floor with me, 'cause they know how to "street fight." :rolleyes: It's unreal how many kids say they learned from "da street" around here.

First, we live in South Dakota, in the midwestern United States. I've been downtown at night many times, and the most confrontation I've ever had there was somebody accidentally bumping into my shoulder then saying "excuse me." So, there's no practical reason for street brawls where we live, and therefore no medium to learn from. Liars.

Second, it's hard not to blame them, but you shouldn't. I just regard their attempts to feel masculine with their age group. Didn't everybody want to feel like an uber tough guy at 17? I still want to be, in all honesty, but I have the testicular fortitude to admit that I can't take on just everybody.

Anyway, enough of my ranting.

Just practice what you do, and enjoy it, for whatever reason it might be. If there are people who stand in the backround mocking it, invite them. If there are people interested in it, invite them. If either refuses, ignore them and continue with what you're doing.

10. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

I wonder how many of the people who think they can "take" martial artists have been exposed to the idea of full-contact escrima?

[​IMG]

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Ummmm. . . . not many???

12. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Its so funny when you tell people you practice martial arts. I got so many more sexy looks from saying "I kickbox" or "I box" than I do when I say "I practice martial arts"

I blame society.
    And Hollywood.

Thanks to them I apparently wear a white gi, hang out with dorks, and scream.

13. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

It is fun to mock I guess, that's just what people do when they are in a group... but if you have like 50 students practice TMA in open oval, people who walks by alone won't do anything other than watching, even if they usually mock MAist. Some people look because of plain curiousity... and all these are just what people do and it is what make us human!

14. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I'm blaming this whole mess on Hollywood "kung-fu" and crappy Karate Kid movies, making everyone think MAists are pacifists who'll only use what they know as a last resort, and doesn't focus on the complete destruction of their opponents.