Why do some people insult Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dori_kin_86, Jul 2, 2004.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Jeez guys, where the hell u live?
    man I never mocked down... hey U gotta hav powerfull aura :D :D :D when you do MA :p

If u practice MA u should hav this No Nonsense attitude, don't give a sh!t attitude, touch me and get ripped apart attitude, then No One will mess with u :D

when somone mocks u, drag them around from their nose. ;)
    now that's a brilliant Idea.
    here's funny story I had couple of guys looking at me once, I asked them to join me and they were like "wow, man how much time it takes to be like u", I said at least 8 years. they never came back :D
    -TkdWarrior-

2. TKDchick

TKDchick New Member

I have had very similar experiences. People think that just because I'm a girl that I'm helpless. I was in a convient store one night after class and I still had my uniform on, there was an old man in there you yelled "Hah-ya" at me, then left. There is also this one kid in my biology class you thinks that just because I'm a girl I can't fight. He will sit there and make smart comments. He'll also brag about knowing how to "street fight"(I don't believe him and what he considers street fighting I have no clue!) This guy is seriously crazy and he thinks that he knows everything! It's insane!

Oh and by the way dori_kin_86, I like the little dude in the top left corner of your post.

3. ubermint

ubermint Banned Banned

I am a person who often mocks MAs.

Why?

There's the theatrical showmanship and just plain BS that infests them. There's the reality that so few schools spar with hard contact (or even spar period). There's the bowing and scraping to "masters" which resembles a turn of the century minstrel show for pure patheticness. The hilarious bitchy catfights over who has the real [insert style here]. The secret death points. The "I know the true secrets of the art!" ****waving. The widespread idea that training with a compliant partner in predetermined defense patterns, AKA "Like many begginers, you attacked me wrong!"...The list goes on and on. Yeah, I think MA and MAists deserve a good ribbing.

Not to say, of course, that the "str33tfighters" of the world are any less retarded.

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

MMmm, immaturity at a good level. Also a complete and utter misconception on almost every sentence. Nice job with the cussing too, A+

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

you know what guy. feel free to stick your head into a jujitsu academy, a Muay Thai school or even better an MMA academy, and say things like that .
    they'll show you hard contact. compliant partners my ass. they'll show you the beating of your life. i promise. i'd be surprised if the jj or mt guys wern't offended, but the MMA boys will surely be aggitated.

you are very immature and obviously have yet to experiance a proper ass beating. give respect where it is due.

6. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

i dunno 'bout the other countrys but in australia it's very hard to find a dojo or dogang or kwoon for if your seen at one your bound to get dised

why? cause their scared ,scared of us, scared of what we can do little **** assed gangester wannabe's go round triena see what you can do my moto is beatem down that come lookin for a fight givem one whoop em and watch as they run off with they're tails between their legs.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

hit the nail on the head.

8. moving up

moving up New Member

well there are also a lot bad Ma's out there and some people get there first belt and go get into a fight with a experienced fighter that has not praticed a martial art and they get there clock cleaned plus that guy that just drove off was most likely jealous and trying to get a rise out of you. keep practicing and do the best you can.

9. Wax

Wax Valued Member

My Mum calls it Dim Sim... but I don't think I can call her out for a fight :D

I haven't been mocked but when we leave the Kwon it is usually as a group and Parramatta is the kind of place where most people practice something. I did pass a dude from the Capoeira gym while leaving one night. He was being hastled by some juvis and gave me an exhaspirated look of 'I could do so much but it's best not to'. I like that attitude. Just ignore it.

10. ubermint

ubermint Banned Banned

Gee, that's funny, because I go to an MMA gym. MMA is not what the average man thinks of when he hears the term "martial arts".

Swing...and a miss. Your attempt to emulate my snarky, psuedo-intellectual style of sarcastic banter is admirable. But you ruined it with the attempted jab at my maturity level, and ended up coming off like a pedantic, balding high school teacher.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah i kind of agree uber. when people mention martial arts i usually try to stay out of it. luckily the general public doesnt really view muay thai as a martial art but a sport (of which it is both) and have more respect for it (when do you hear people say "man hes only a boxer" in a bar fight)

so i dont have to go around explaining to peole that we do not in fact scream after every punch and do backflips. and really, sometimes martial artists just make me cringe. like pretty much every hollywood MA movie that doesnt involve "real" martial arts actors like Chan and Jet Li. the matrix was a nightmare :D

12. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

I´ll have to say that, unfortunately, the situation described by the thread starter has a lot to do with McDojoism and unrealistic expectations perpetrated by martial artists of dubious skills and morals (AKA bullshido).

I heard people mocking martial arts, yes - but see, people (even laymen) will mock certain martial arts, but usually not all.

I heard people making fun of kung fu (in general), taekwondo and "karate" (I suppose the person in question was referring to shotokan). I never heard anyone making fun of boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, BJJ or judo. Because there is no bullshido or McDojo image associated with those arts in the eyes of the public; when I did kung fu, some people would smirk in a "isn´t he cute" way.

Not so with muay thai. Of course, now people look at me with a worried expression, but at least it´s a respectful expression.

13. WingChun Lawyer

This guy is correct. There is too much BS in the martial arts world - and yes, this includes the bowing and scraping and the lack of realistic sparring and training. THIS is what gives martial artists a bad reputation.

This, and the "holier than thou" attitude many McDojo victims have when faced with common sense and reality in general.

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I think it's some people's way of putting down MAists.

I have met many martial artists and many of those have got to a stage in their life with a superiority complex.

The general attitude given out from the outspoken MAists I have met is the
    "I do xxxx style which is good because of this training we do."

This gives them the ego of not only thinking they are better than all other MAists from other styles, but all other people.
    It is the same with many parts of life like the "I'm better because I get paid this much in my job"

If you do a MA it does not necessarily make you a better person than someone who doesn't.

For those of you in the UK, it almost reminds me of a sketch from "world Shut UP" with Dom Jolly (aka Trigger Happy TV guy) shouting at various people
    "I bet I could beat you at chess, you don't know what chess is? you're stupid"
    It's obviously not on the same in your face scale as the TV programme, but it's on the same level.

MAsists need to remind themselves that they are only doing MAs and although to you it's very significant part of your life, it may not be a significant part of other peoples lifes. Learn to be more humble about your skills, then there will be less MAists with ego's to give people a bad impression about MAs.

16. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Not everyone does MA because they want to fight.

17. WingChun Lawyer

Indeed. But if we consider that martial arts were originally about fighting, and if we consider the image sold by hollywood and mcdojo owners all over the world, and if we consider the lack of fighting skills some practitioners display DESPITE CLAIMING THEY ARE DEADLY KILLING MACHINES WITH DIM MAK AND PRESSURE POINTS AND CHI/KI/WHATEVER, we can understand why people can come to despise martial arts, or some martial arts.

The problem, as I said, are the unrealistic expectations and the McDojo victims. See, supposing someone did tai chi chuan: that person will rarely have unrealistic expectations about it, and no one will laugh at her because she can´t fight. Hey, it is tai chi, it is not about fighting (usually - I know, I know, I am thinking from a layman´s point of view) - people don´t laugh at yoga pratitioners because they can´t fight.

"Karate" and "kung fu" people, on the other hand, frequently claim they can fight, and are correctly made fun of when they are beaten by untrained people - usually because their training sucks, but mainly because their lack of hard contact sparring practice made them overestimate their own skills and capabilities.

More importantly, the image sold by those arts includes fighting skills. Even if the student in question is fully aware that what he does is not practical for self defense purposes, and even if he is always honest about it, people will either think he is wasting his time when he could do a "real" athletic activity (running, swimming, whatever), or believe he is too much of a pansy to do a "real fighting art" such as boxing, for instance.

18. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Boxing is a great style, I love it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

so what, if an art doesnt cover *everything* its not an art? Im yet to see an art by itself that is considered "best" because they all tend to have a different focus. boxing focuses on the hands.

20. I'm not trawling through 6 pages lol, but here's my verdict (probably better as I've not been influenced by other postings!)

Most people insult MAs through inferiority and misunderstanding. Simple As!

Firstly, people who think they're hard feel threatened by someone who is "trained to fight". They will often pick on the skinny TKD blackbelt rather than the big solid kickboxer (honestly, no disrespect to TKD it was a mere example that has elements of truth in it - theres a skinny TKD kid at our school lol). After they have smacked him up they will discount ALL martial arts instead of TKD (Again, substitute any styles as you see fit!). Even discounting TKD because of this is ridiculous, but so are the people involved. Whatever the bully believes, he can tell his mates that he is beter than a black belt.

Secondly, people have no clue what MAs are about. Maybe a certain bully went to a tai chi class. He was appauled that he couldn't fight on his first lesson and simply said "MAs are crap". Maybe he watched Enter the dragon and thought "MAs are for Japanese people who scream all day long". People will see ONE MA and count it as all. They cannot see that Judo is diferent to Kickboxing which is different to Tai Chi.

The worst word ever invented was Martial Art. Without it, people wouldnt insult Martial arts. They would pick on one style which would be a better way of doing things! There would also (on a slightly unrelated note) be no arguments on is Judo a sport? and Which Martial art is the best?

I have seen plentyof martial artists at school get picked on. I, however, haven't. This proves the theory that the smaller ones are always the targets.