Why do some people insult Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dori_kin_86, Jul 2, 2004.

1. ppko

ppko Valued Member

I agree PP's are one of the best equilizers out their

PPKO

2. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Sadly...

...many martial artists are, in my opinion, the worst for mocking other styles.

Some people, if they do something flashy like taekwondo (or tang sou dao, just to show that I'm not picking on any styles myself here) will say other styles are rubbish because they don't look so cool and they equate aesthetic coolness with effectiveness. Some people who do simpler styles with nasty reputations, on the other hand, will accuse anything different of being "dancing, not fighting" or something ridiculous. In fact, I've lost count of the number of martial artists I've met who say that their style is "no-nonsense, hardcore, street tested, we don't mess around, we just totally kill our opponents". Yes, and when I'm at my tang sou dao lesson, my instructor is always careful to ensure that we learn techniques that will tickle our opponent rather than hurt them. :rolleyes:

It's as if people can't just enjoy what they do and respect other styles and the people who do them, they have to constantly put others down - like many have said here - to make themselves feel rock solid. It's just a big shame that it's martial artists doing it too.

3. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

dori, trash with money is still trash. They act from ignorance.

4. BryanX

BryanX Valued Member

Oh my God! That is soooooo true! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this. :Angel:

5. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

I had this christian fundamentalist I was sharing a house with referring to martial arts as, "martial farts" and giggling, continually. Young guy, I figured he guessed it okay to dis MA because your fundamentalists are real strict: no drinking (or else they feel guilty for a whole day) and nothing violence related (or else they become evil). Poor *******s apparently cannot control themselves in the slightest.
    Big guy, so I figured he just felt a bit challenged.

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

yea, big guys actually insult MA's more because they fear it might make them feel small. a lot of football players, who i wouldn't even normally dream of fighting, mock MA for the hell of it out of insecurity. young people are even more annoying because they are at that point where insecurities and self-esteem are still developing.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The reasons people tend to mock martial artist are the following:
    1.The media. Presentation of the martial arts here are always sensationalist and ignorant
    2.Bad image. This is not helped by the sheer number of annoying people who can't be bothered actually fighting but would still quite like some image support from their peer group. Having a large number of people with puny little frames from starvation diets and rubbish exercise hardly helps our case
    3.The sheer variety of EXTREMELY poor martial arts instruction From people who tell you you can actually knock a person out without touching them to people who think that 20 sets for the arms is a sound, sensible workout option, there is a huge amount of laughably poor material out there.
    4.Yes, they are also idiots.But defense mechanism? I think that term, pseudoscientific though it may be, could be applied to a lot of the statements made in this thread. Are the social prejudices associated with the term 'white trash' making nobody else ill?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  8. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

i think it does, just nobody chooses to acknowledge it, KE. go figure... :confused:

9. Knight_Errant

Frankly, I think it's disgusting. If we let you call people 'white trash' and 'hilljacks', how long before we're calling each other 'nigger' or 'kike'?
    In a thread where people are discussing ethics, it's pretty ironic.

10. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-It's really scary when I find myself agreeing with Knight Errant twicw within a week:eek: :D . Part of the problem is the image that we, as martial artists put out to the public. Or, at least that certain practitioners do. I do some of my own practice at the gym after my cardio and weight work and I don't treat as anything special, just another part of my training. There are some others who go there who "make a show" of their martial training and try to call attention to themselves. Need I mention that these goofballs are very lacking in skill and many people will just laugh at goofy people trying to show off at something that they are not very good at.
    -Another part of the problem is that many, if not most, martial artists who would be respected by the general public are what I call "closet martial artists". These people are professionals and leaders in the community who took martial arts for personal growth and many are high ranking dans, but are often quiet about it unless it comes up. The practitioners who are very vocal and obvious about it are often more insecure and the "goofy type" that I mentioned earlier. This is why I try to urge the ones who should be the role models to be more public about their training. Not to descend to the level of the second type, but to help promote the image of the arts.
    -For the school kids who are still getting hassled by the big jocks; Ask them what part of an eye gouge or groin strike is ineffective. If they feel that those wouldn't get the job done, then you'll be happy to help them field test it. Or, if you are more aware of possible liability(which you should be), then ask them why when the military trains it's elite (special forces) for close quarters combat, they teach them martial arts rather than football or WWE-style 'wrasslin'(I try to make it a point to not demean real wrestling or submission grappling by referring to the better paid entertainment version by using the same term/name).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  11. Knight_Errant

I think a small celebration is in order don't you?:D

12. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

it's already happening. numb as we are to it, it's already happening...

13. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Frankly, if you're 14 and you stand in your front/back yard practicing very obliquely then I don't really blame anyone for finding it funny.

(Just playing the devil's advocate here)

I'd probably laugh my ass off myself. Especially at Front Lawn Karate Kata's.

14. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

I don't do them on my front lawn, I do them in the back :D
    Anyway, the people who do notice me training for some reason don't mention it. Might have something to do with me waving my nunchakus around afterwards.

15. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I agree with most of the comments already made but think of it like this. If you saw someone practising morris dancing by himself in the gym; you would probably have a giggle about it. Its only human. Don't take offence to it, just be proud of what you do and keep doing it.

16. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. I'm not American so I don't fully understand, but it appears to be very wrong.

17. Knight_Errant

It basically means 'poor white person', of the kind often stereotyped in movies living in trailers, eating junk food for breakfast etc. It's also kind of quasi-racist as it implies that black people are usually the trash. Pretty obnoxious isn't it?

18. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I understand what your saying, and I'm sorry if offended anyone.

19. renshinkai

renshinkai New Member

Occasionally on a Friday night after training I like to rent a film and get some popcorn, so I go to Blockbuster. The attendant likes to laugh at my white trousers that are too short for me (I always wear a hooded jumper in my gi on the street, but my gi is a lil short on the ankles). I just unzip the jumper then he shuts up. I also get alot at school, and have been jumped more than once with people who have about a spoonful of brains. They're never usually much good at fighting though. I just ignore any comments I get. Best way to deal with it in my opinion.

20. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Normally, this kind of behaviour comes from bullies. There's no need to make generalizations about race, social background, or even gender. Either they have seen it on TV, and think it's a big joke (because, admittedly, some of the martial arts in the media is kind of funny) or they have confidence/self-esteem problems and have to tear someone else down to feel good. Unfortunately, in this day, that kind of behavior has become the social norm. If you react, or try to get he behavior to stop, you immediately become the bad guy, trying to ruin someone else's fun. Just because it's at your expense doesn't mean that you can stop it. Honestly, the only solution is to ignore it.