why do people like Chael Sonnen

Discussion in 'MMA' started by roninmaster, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

I think people are a bit too negative on Chael's performance against Bisping.

In the Silva fight over 5 rounds Chael hit 3 out of 7 take downs.
    Against Bisping 4 of 7 over 3 rounds.

Bisping was more successful at getting back up, and Bisping is pretty tough to keep down. His fights vs Eric Schafer and Charles McCarthy are good examples. Allegedly Rashad had difficulty keeping him down, and Rashad is a pretty big LHW. (personally I've only heard about this fight, but after it Bisping dropped to Middleweight).

Arguably Japan's Yushin Okami and Nate Marquadt both had a better first three rounds against Chael pre Anderson fight. And people thought Anderson would destroy Sonnen then.

I think the rematch depends more on what Anderson does differently: maybe he didn't work hard enough last time, maybe he has a different game plan, maybe whatever; It's impossible to know.

Then there's the Rib injury thing:
    "Your ribs hurt?, Well of course, your ribs have the same problem your arms and legs do; they're attached to a cowardly charlatan called Anderson Silva"
    - Chael Sonnen

I'm not sure I buy into whole rib thing, the guy was shooting take downs, swinging bombs and attempted spinning kicks.

At the end of the day none of that matters, it's a Fight on Saturday night in a steel cage in front of a drunken audience; and anything can happen.

Personally I hope it's very entertaining; and that we have a new Middleweight Champion come Sunday morning.

I'll leave you with this highly entertaining video of Sonnen's Rap skills.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQq6wB6-ung"]Chael P. Sonnen - Who You Gonna Send? - YouTube[/ame]

2. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^WA HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

oh maaaaaan... What will Chael say when Anderson beats him within the first 2 rounds?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Given the level of verbal skills common in combat sports that's pretty damn good. :)

4. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

He has better mic skills than most pro wrestlers. I think he got called out for ripping off one of them while back, basically saying what they said word for word. He either studies the wrestlers to learn this stuff or is a massive pro wrestling fan.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ahhahha... I'm not so sure about that. Americans by and large are pretty apathetic. Especially to someone slagging them off. So if for instance it was Silva that slagged off America... I don't think it'd illicit nearly the response that Sonnen's gob has against Silva/Brazil etc. The Brazilians are way more passionate as a culture than Americans in my opinion. Though I reckon it'd be a draw as both Americans and Brazilians have a gun culture. :p

The nonsense above by Chael makes him a chump. If Silva is such a cowardly charlatan then how was Sonnen not able to put him away? How did he get subbed in the 5th round? lol... nothing cowardly or charlatan about that. Chael Sonnen only ends up making himself look foolish with that type of nonsense.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i dont know i dont see the fight fans in brazil chanting Brazil brazil like you see the fight fans in the states shouting USA USA and cheering on any fighter because he happens to be an american citizen :)

And im still unsure how someone can lose respect for a fighter who wins and they says he was injured, but not lose respect for someone caught taking drugs and then making an excuse (or outright lying take your pick) about that?

7. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I'm pretty sure the most foolish thing would be to take those comments seriously.

I wasn't too fussed either way about Sonnons trash talk before but having watched more of him recently off the back of this thread I now think he is 100% tounge in cheek, very smart and a bit of a legend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNnOBh6sGo"]Chael Sonnen 1 Hour Of Epicness - Anderson Silva, GSP, Brock, Machida etc. Fans Beware - YouTube[/ame]

I also don't know why Bisping is catching hate on here.

8. slipthejab

Yeah I have no doubt a very large portion of it is Sonnen's attempt to build hype... of course that produces more attention... more people buying tickets and PPV and more general buzz. :p

9. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

American pride, nationalism and patriotism has a pretty strong rep throughout the rest of the world, certainly, from over here, there's no perception of apathy.

10. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

This is the crux of it I'd say.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

cant be bothered reading everything but to the OP I would say im as bewildered by someone who would claim to be an Anderson Silva "fan" as you seem to be about chael, appreciator yes, but fan ? he must be one of the only examples in history of a competitor who is at the top of his sport (arguably even the best ever) and yet manages to be the person most lacking in personality, both in the ring and out, within that sport. There are plenty people that just can't get on-board with Anderson for some reason, his skill and work ethic are undeniable but that thing that inspires fandom just seems to be missing, chael on the other hand has that in spades, if you really can't appreciate what chael sonnen does you have to be either a very humourless person or dumb enough to believe he is being serious. Also judging by andersons uncharacteristic "I'll break his arms and teeth" comments chael is inside his head so from a tactical standpoint the trash talking has paid off.

12. slipthejab

And what is your apparent gold standard for 'personality'? Does he have to run his mouth and trash talk in order to have a 'personality'. If anything I'd say Sonnen is a classic example of someone who's main personality trait seems to be trying to hype himself up by trash talking his opponent. That's a pretty low standard for the measure of personality.

And you think this is evidenced by what? Seems to me the boards are full of Anderson Silva fans... never seems to be a shortage of people at most the gyms I'm at during the week that can't wait to see him smash Sonnen. Many of the forums show the exact same sentiment. So not really sure where you got the notion that fandom is missing.

Pretty poor logic here as well. Being a loud mouth that relies on being insulting and condescending (all the while getting caught juicing) is now considered having a personality in spades?! lol you might as well be watching pro wrestling. If that's your standard for 'personality' you're in for a treat! :D

Now for the poor logic part... so anyone who doesn't toe your line is now either dumb or humorless. Well wait a minute... so now you're saying his personality is an act? Which is it? Seriously... you can't have thought that argument out very far.:rolleyes:

Uh what? I think you don't really know that until Sonnen actually wins... if he does. If we do a comparison of who's talked more absolute nonsense Sonnen is the clear winner. Could he pander to the Tap-Out t-shirt wearing crowd any more? I think not. lol. And for Sonnen to be burning so much energy working for a wind up (or personality as you seem to have labeled it)... by your logic that'd be an indicator that Anderson got into Sonnens head and he felt the need to compensate by flapping his gums...

The bonus there is it takes the focus off of Sonnen having been a drug cheat. Very neatly done Sonnen. lol.

13. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

this....

14. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

this....

my prediction Sonnen loses to a 2nd round submission or KO

15. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

We should really cut Chael some slack, he had a hard time growing up on the streets of west linn.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh_eO2QoeCM"]UFC 148: The American Gangster - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

He's friends with a couple pro wrestlers and another fighter said he's a big fan and studies their speeches. Can't remember which dude it was now though

17. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

Why do people like Chael Sonnen, look no further than Knoxy's last post hahaha Sonnen is hilarious

18. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

Havnt read all four pages.. but yall know Anderson predicted a WIN via SUBMISSION before their first fight right??
    Yes he did.
    Anyway... I predict Silva via(t)ko

19. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

Chael is a christian racist biggot republician.

20. slipthejab

yeah or at least that's the vibe he's perfected.