why do people like Chael Sonnen

Discussion in 'MMA' started by roninmaster, Jun 27, 2012.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

I never said he wasn't a good fighter, by any means. regardless of the PED thing he can fight well.

I just don't understand how anyone can say the type of things he has said about athletes, the sport, and Brazil and think "oh its all in good fun". I will admit, he's a machine. but I mean even going on record and insulting guys not in the sport of MMA. Why would you go infront of thousands and say "Lance Armstrong deserves to have cancer." Your basically saying "this guy deserves to die."

I know nobody here actually know's the man but in the media your opinons and ideas are going to be based upon what is said in front of the camera. the Same reason many people dislike bill o reilly, or glenn beck. It might be just hype to get views. but every time they open their mouth its the same thing. so what are we to base them on besides it?

I can even give credit to his mentality of winning fights- not clouding your mind with thoughts of don't do this don't do that and just fighting was something i remember heavily from the book of five rings.

I guess it might be a personal gripe in that I grew it with being taught martial artist act the way silva does. very nice, not trash talking, just letting the performance talk. so the way Sonnen acts bothers me.

I also don't like lebron James. but that might be due me being from cleveland.

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I'm not saying I like Sonnen by any stretch. However, he does provide entertainment value not unlike a heel in professional wrestling. You never know what's going to come out of this guy's mouth next.

Sonnen is clearly trying to get into Silva's head. Now myself the last thing I think I would want to do is **** off Anderson Silva in the slight hope that he might slip up. Silva popped off in some call in and it sounds like he is looking forward to this fight a lot. I admire Sonnen's confidence because i would be considering what medical retirement might mean. However, Sonnen's the only one who's given Silva a fight as of late. No one else has come close. Maybe that's why some people like him. He made Silva look human.

3. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/mma/UFC/29788179#mma/UFC/29788179
    ask and ye shall receive.

While the Lance Armstrong stuff is certainly in bad taste I think he was just trying to be funny and it backfired on him. I think though he actually knows Lance personally, (I might have dreamed that or something) and Lance phoned him up about it.

Sonnen doesn't claim to be a martial artist, he's just a gangster from the mean streets of west linn Oregon. Silva isn't perfect either he trash talked a bit with Maia and about Vitor. And recently at Sonnen at the UFC 148 conference, which surprised me I thought and Anderson would just rise above Sonnen's talking.

Didn't Anderson also nearly shoot Rafael Cordeiro with a shotgun or something,

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/4/27/2...tgun-rafael-cordeiro-biography-ufc-148-brazil

In reality it's not a good guy vs bad guy match up, it's one fighter vs another and on 7/7 at 7pm, 10 in the east, the gangster from West Linn will split open Silva's Melon; and we will find out who the real champion is.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

dang it someone beat me to it :D

if you win once its lucky, if no one can take the title off you in 11 attempts im inclined to go with it being something more than just luck ......

i suppose its an age thing, when you have been around a while you start to understand subs aren't that easy to land regardless of if the arms just there lol, sometimes you have to take a beating and hey a wins a win .....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

And he was just waiting until the last two minutes before he decided to do anything about it right? I get that he is world champion for a reason, he tapped Sonnen and deserved the win. I just think he should have said "I wasn't prepared for that, I'll be better next time." Obviously he wasn't prepared for that gift. Instead he said "Ah, my foot was injured, brought my level down, next time I will not be injured." He just couldn't admit that he was unprepared.

6. roninmaster

i don't think anyone believes silva was just letting himself be beaten so he could have come from behind win.

but you can't take away from it. he went into a fight with a doctor confirmed broken rib, and still fought, and still won with a submission. He wasn't just making up lies. Tito told the audience how he had cracked his skull while he was training to fight forest griffin for the second time. the only thing I remember him mentioning was that he had a rib injury going into the fight. Later on i did hear him say he wanted a sub victory, but idt he chose to wait till the last minute to do it.

sonnen put him through the ringer no question. but it wasn't a fully healthy silva as we have proof off. and he still won. to me that shows he's def worth being called the champion.
    will the same thing happen again? IDK.

so far Ular Sawa's reason makes the most since to me. people want to see him lose to prove it can be done i suppose.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

For anyone to survive that many rounds taking a hiding... and then pull off a sub is unprepared eh? :rolleyes: What you're saying doesn't make any sense at all. Next time you jump into a comp with an injury let us know how your level is. Just be prepared for us to tell you should have been better prepared if you wait through four and half rounds of solid beating before making the sub happen.:p

8. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

THAT EXPLAINS IT

Chael Sonnen is possessed by the Majin Buu!!!!

I hate him too because of his ignorance... I REALLY HATE Bisping waaaay more but I feel Bisping got robbed in his fight against Sonnen

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I don't know. I thought it was close or at least karma paying Bisping back for his "victory" over Matt Hamill. That one was out & out robbery, and Bispings's lack of respect was the start my dislike for him.

10. Pretty In Pink

Bisping is a douche, at least Chael is funny.

11. roninmaster

both are trolls that are fed to often, but bisbing is not nearly as bad.
    I don't see the entire country of Brazil hating bisbing over derogatory statements about their culture.

12. Pretty In Pink

Dude, you clearly dislike Charles, and that's fine. We get it. I like him and I want to see them both fight, and I don't really care who wins.

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

To some extent I think that says more about how overly sensitive the Brazilians are. If they didn't react in such a bad way he likely wouldn't do it.

14. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Yeah I really hate Bisping waaay more not only that he got beat by Hamill but the way he handled himself afterwards and did not respect the man fighting PROFESSIONALLY with a disability, no corner man to shout out instructions. Hamill is a hero.

but back to Sonnen, the only insulting part I find of him is his obvious "hate" for brazil, not sure if its true but it seems like it is watching his interviewee from brazil get offended/uncomfortable when he "dissed" the country in his face.

15. slipthejab

I don't think overly sensitive is the word. I'd say passionate is a far better choice of words to describe Brazilians... particularly when you have some loud mouth like Sonnen going way over the top to offend their sensibilities and slander one of their national heroes. As for Sonnen's apparent or self professed hate for Brazil... ahahha what an ass... he couldn't find Brazil on a map. So he's clearly talking out of his ass. :D

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Perhaps. But threatening to kill someone because they said something mean about a piece of land you live on isn't a good thing. There's enough nationalism in football, don't really want it in mma too.

17. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I love watching Chael talk trash, the guy is a real life troll. He's hillarious.

Shame his fights are not as entertaining and if he fights like he did when he 'beat' Bisping he's in trouble.

18. Pretty In Pink

That's true. He needs to really buck up his ideas if he wants to finish Silva.

19. slipthejab

What response would you expect? Sonnen is easily the 'bad guy' on this one... the extent he's gone to offend Silva, his family, and Brazil at large would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic. Trying to distill it down to someone 'saying something mean about the piece of land you live on' is a bit blinkered frankly. Context is important... so if you consider the culture that Silva comes from I don't think it's a surprise at all that many Brazilians have threatened to kill Sonnen. lol. If anyone is to blame for stoking the whole nonsense of nationalism then the blame rests squarely with Sonnen...not with Silva or the Brazilians. Look at the source of all the incitement here... it's not Silva. At least not if you're watching the same build up to the fight as I'm watching.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

can you imagine what the yanks would do to a fighter who talked trash about their country like sonnen has been?, they would shoot him lol