why do people keep telling me to do something other than Aikido?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kidvisions, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Mattt, are you there bro? Why won't you tell me your Renzo Gracie Academy's website in DC? Damn, did I just lose another potential friend?

2. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

I guess it's pass Mattt's bedtime....or that Mattt realizes that I already know that the Renzo's Gracie's school in DC that he allegedly trains at and just challenged me to come train at..... has closed down.

My guess is that Mattt's a White belt who dabbled in BJJ for a bit or that his big brother does BJJ....... and he's just using his knowledge to play the bluffing game with me, hoping to get me to back down. The offer for a free lunch if I tapped out any White belts was a nice touch, I must say.

C'mon guys, I'm not trying to say that I'm a pro or anything. But I will spar. It's just fun to talk a little poop on line and then meetup to back it up, but all in good fun. Not Mad Max Thunderdome deathmatch or anything.

I'll even spar Ero-Sennin this Monday (once he's back in the area) if he wants. Although if he's only just started learning Boxing for real (and not sandbagging me)....then it's not going to be pretty. And being an ex-Marine is not going to help. But we can go light to medium (so not for knockouts), I'm really a nice guy in person :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

SBK, cut the trash talk immediately.

MAP is not the place to talk "poop on line". If that's your style, then take it elsewhere.

To everyone else, move on with the conversation or the thread will be locked down. It doesn't matter who called out who first, just move on.

You've all taken this wildly off topic and another newby sees their thread destroyed.

In this case there will be no further warnings.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't just started learning boxing. I've been at it about 8 months now and I've often been in the gym 3-4 hours a day, 6 days a week and I spar regularly. The only part about boxing I haven't really focused on yet is the fitness part, being able to maintain my skill level for 3+ rounds going full speed. I can spar medium to light forever though. If I end up being better then what you're expecting I'm not sandbagging you and if I'm not, well hey . . no loss to either of us and an ego stroke for you. I also did MMA for around a year pretty intensely for a year before I joined the Marines. I'm not new to fighting.

As far as my last occupation being a Marine, that has absolutely nothing to do with anything and I'm sorry if I came across in a way earlier that made you think I was tougher then what I am boxing wise because of that. I'm fully aware that what I did in the Marine Corps isn't going to help me in a boxing ring. Not sure where you're trying to go with that and if you're just trash talking then well . . . classy bro. :roll eyes:

We'll have to continue this conversation via email though since one of the MODs want's participation in this thread beyond the original subject to cease.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So would it be fair to say your understanding of Jujutsu and Aikido is fairly limited?

You said previously that Aikido copied Jujutsu, could you say a little more on that please?

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I don't think it is really that off topic, but will cease conversing in that manner from here.

The point that I was making is that it is ever the case that anyone who bashes another art, questions your training etc is someone with a rather limited experience of doing something different and who refuses to appreciate other peoples choices.

You never would see someone with actual accomplishments in the study of any art, because whilst it might not be their cup of tea they recognize the value in training and wish people well in their journey.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yeah. Not everything on YouTube is real. It's all just entertainment. When you stop confusing entertainment with the real world, you'll then be in a position to lecture.

8. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Yeah, just a little trash talk to make it more competitive/fun. No harm intended and I'll heed the Mod's warning and not do it anymore. We can go light at first and pick it up depending on how it goes. Did you want to go full MMA or just standup striking? LA Fitness don't have mats, just a hardwood floor so my suggestion would be standup only.

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Guys, can you take this to PM please and not disrupt this thread anymore than it already has been. Thank you. :)

10. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

My goals as a Martial Artist is to train what works well in a fight and to regularly test it out in sparring, from light to all out for KO's. Therefore, I choose MMA, which in itself is very limited in a sense that it only cares about the techniques that works well in a fight and not so much about the intricate details nor the histories of the MA's that it draws from. I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the understanding of Aikido and Jujutsu, their history nor am I a Google master, etc.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Seems a long winded way of saying yes. :D

As I mentioned before you said Aikido copied from Jujutsu, what exactly did you mean?

I'm trying to get an understanding of where your ideas etc are coming from, after all if you are pretty ignorant of the systems and how they work, teach and their aims then it will be problematic when you try to engage in discussion about them.

If you let the guys here know how little you do understand the arts mentioned then you might be given a little leeway with regards to some of your comments. It would also explain why you may not understand what you are looking at, what's being done and why it is being done.

12. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I have found that when people are discussing arts I know nothing about keeping quiet often works quite well.

To the OP, train whatever style that you enjoy training in and don't worry about what other people say.

As long as it's useful for dealing with Zombies. :)

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Is this how you normally respond when something challenges your perceptions on a given subject? I didn't make any smart remarks to you,I even said one couldn't be blamed for such a perception.

Max is the son of the first teacher of one of my main instructors,the Chen I mentioned in my post. Hence one reason I know slightly more about the subject than a certain individual's grandson.

Good post.Notice you were for some reason spared the weisenheimer treatment.

EDIT-- Simon,saw your post,you can delete this if you feel it's warranted.

14. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Did you just want yes or no answers? Because you're pretty long winded right here. But ok, I'll try.

Yes.

No.

Did.

No.

15. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Ok sorry, I was just playing.

16. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

OK then. Bantering can be fine,just remember it's best applied when it's obvious to the recipient.

Otherwise known as- Would you speak that way to the big surly looking biker standing at the bar?:D

Have a good weekend!

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Have you guys seen that Anderson Silva documentary "Like Water"? Have you seen how much padding he wears? He must be a wuss.

18. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Looks like average sparring gear to me for MMA with the exception of the chest protector. Nothing close to wearing full riot gear. He's a world champion who's got potentially millions of dollars at stake in prize money, endorsements, etc. every time he fights. Of course he should be more careful that the average guy. But wearing motorcycle helmets and such, c'mon.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I recall a session with my JKD instructor Lee Banda. He had a student wear a motorcycle helmet while demonstrating short range punches.

The poor guy had to go to hospital because his jaw got dislodged.

I bet he was glad he had that helmet on.

Safety equipment is there for a reason.

Edit.

Others witnessed this event. Check out post 4.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112589&highlight=lee+banda

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The problem is SBK that once again you have no experience of it yet feel free to criticise - those suits mitigate some damage, but offer less protection than a Thai belly pad - yet once again I suspect you have no issue with them

The lack of experience you have is massive - not a dig at you, a fact. The equipment wearer is braced to receive a kicking... It isn't there for use as sparring equipment so stop making ridiculous comparisons as if it is.

Is a coach afraid if getting hit if he uses focus mitts? Are boxers afraid of getting hit if they do bag work? Then stop comparing an assailant drill to sparring because it isn't meant to be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.