why do people keep telling me to do something other than Aikido?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kidvisions, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

I really have been neglecting my BJJ and I'm not really that good. Dominque Cruz was a BJJ White belt when he won his UFC title vs. Faber. Did you see the Blue belt being thrown to him? That was years ago and I'm not sure what's his level is right now. But I don't think it would be that difficult in BJJ only against him, as long as there's no striking when he was a White belt :D

What's RGA? Can I train your striking program for free? What's your name?

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Renzo Gracie Academy. If you are good enough you can train for free, but you will pay a cut of your pro purse to your coaches. My name is Matt, unfortunately that username was taken and I am lazy.

When I say good enough I mean of a standard that competes with UFC Champs as you were implying. If you don't really do much BJJ I doubt you would beat a UFC Champ in BJJ, regardless of their rank.

3. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

I'm sure those sticks don't tickle. And yea, full swings with them, not love taps. They're still the light training sticks and not the heavy ones. No doubt they can break noses, but so can elbows and knees as well as kicks to the face and fists in MMA 4oz gloves.

I'm just saying that if I really wanted to jack someone up in those Dog Bros events, I wouldn't use the sticks and just drop them and go in for the clinch....knowing that they're not the heavy Escrima sticks. My point was that it's not as brutal as gramps thinks and that the average MMA cage match is much worse as bare knees and elbows are being thrown to the face.

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

As someone who has done both stickfighting and MMA full contact, I can assure you you are mistaken. A stab with one of those sticks is every bit as hard as any cross. It's just much stiffer and on a much smaller surface area.

5. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Oh hell no, I'm just an amateur fighter. I figured you were just busting my balls though.

But c'mon man, Dominique Cruz was a BJJ White belt when he won that title. Are you trying to tell me that a good Blue belt who competes wouldn't be able to out roll him at that time? And I probably outweigh him by at least 30 lbs. I still roll once in a while but just do mostly standup.

6. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

We're talking about the Dog Bros. event. You are not allowed to stab with them. It's not a sanctioned fight to the death, they don't exist. Nobody spars full contact with 100% power stabs with Escrimas.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Negative.
    He may hae been ranked at white but you cannot compete at that level without a high wrestling ability if not submission grappling.
    Fedor's a white belt in BJJ too if I recall correctly.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Come roll any lunchtime class starts at 1:25pm pick any whitebelt or bluebelt in the room. You can get a day pass for $20 if you don't train.

If you can hang with any whitebelt in that class then lunch afterwards is on me. I'll be there every day.

Also, if you roll once in a while you are not a good bluebelt who competes, furthermore, what Kurta said.

9. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Well I don't doubt that he's good, just that Lloyd Irvin is very legit. And his promotion is certainly legit. I just think there's a kink in his BJJ at that time that's all. I know he's a high level wrestler though, so that's no joke. Maybe Irvin was holding him back to mess with Faber's camp's head at that time. And I don't think Fedor even trains BJJ.

10. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

I don't want to roll, I want do standup though. Can I spar Muay Thai with you guys? What's the website?

And true, I'm just a decent blue belt.

11. Kurtka Jerker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4i7tDGxEoM"]Dog Brothers 2012 Tribal Gathering Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

I count a minimum of five stabs not including the knife work. They appear perfectly legal, just not terribly popular.

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I don't think it will work out, but you can certainly go for a smoker and meet up with the guys.

13. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Dude, I saw these videos a while ago....the guy who runs it even states that you can't stab (on their website). I think one of the videos even shows the organizer explaining this rule.

I don't feel like watching the video again and will take your word for these "5 stabs" or more....but it's still not legal. Maybe they let light ones slide...like light jabs. But you cannot stab someone in piercing motion with 100% power....this is still a sporty event....they're not there to cause maiming injuries.

14. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Yeah, I'm not dropping the sticks and crash clinching from 10 feet away. I'm still blocking and looking for openings with the sticks and then drop them to clinch when the time is right. Although I wouldn't do this as it would defeat the whole purpose of weapons fighting and this is a friendly, sporting event. Just saying that the brutality isn't as bad as it looks due to the sticks being light....and no doubt, still hurts.

15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

SBK - you just said you are an average blue belt in BJJ and do Amatuer Muay Thai.

At what point are you engaging in events that 'cause maiming injuries'?

16. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Do I have to be a member to fight in smokers? What's your website.

Right now I'm looking at LA Boxing, as it's only $50/month for 4 locations. Crappy BJJ there no doubt. But the Boxing and MT is legit.

Man, you just want to smack me around the BJJ mat huh? Hahah, I would too. I may have went too far with that comment about beating a UFC champ right? C'mon man, damn he was a White belt.

17. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Do you know what a smoker is?

18. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

We're talking about the Dog Bros. stick fighting events. My comment was that it's illegal to strike with stabbing/piercing strikes there with those Escrima sticks as they can cause maiming injuries.

C'mon man, lighten up. These are just forum postings for fun, not some court documents that you have to go all Johnny Cochran on me.

19. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

OMG, here go. If I'm not mistaken, a type of in-house tournament. I mean it varies from gym to gym. Most requires that you have to be a member to fight. Is that a microscope up my butt or are you just happy to see me?

20. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

So what's your gym's WEBSITE bro? I having a tough time finding it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.