why do people keep telling me to do something other than Aikido?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kidvisions, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Incidentally those same helmets cost 3 people ko's by someone's cross, hook and straight lead - this individual shall remain nameless

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Back to the topic.....

Is it safe to say that most here think that the OP should stick with Aikido if they truly feel that is what they (OP) like to do?

All of this "do what I do", or "don't do that because" seems to be mindless rhetoric given that each person is entitled to do what they want to do

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMimqfJVedE"]"It's Your Thing" by The Isley Brothers - YouTube[/ame]

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

"The average guy" has to get up each morning, go to work, pick up his kids, and do a slew of other things that need to get done if he and his family are going to operate properly. If I can't work, I don't get paid. Simple as that. And while I don't get paid millions of dollars, it's significant enough a contribution to my family's well-being that I can't be glib about compromising my ability to do it.

Nevermind the inherent selfishness in getting myself laid up over a hobby.

The average guy has at least as much at stake at Anderson Silva. Why suggest that they should be less careful?

It's simple. Match the equipment to the exercise. You don't wear shin pads in boxing because your shins don't come into play. You don't wear a "motocycle helmet" in MMA sparring because your eyes aren't in play. Where they are in some RBSD curricula.

None of this is real. You find a training method somewhere at the intersection of "realistic" and "safe" and you work it. Simple as that. It's not the real thing. It's an approximation. Always will be.

SBK, I suspect you could be a valued contributor to MAP if you chose to be. But "talking poop" and stalwartly refusing to consider what anyone else says are not the ways to get there. Please rethink your approach to this discussion forum.

4. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

So what kind of "DEMONSTRATION"?

Was the guy forced to stand still while getting hit with punches to the face? Or was it sparring where he was allowed to move, dodge, block, return, counter, etc.?

Big difference.

And I have nothing against wearing headgear, I always wear them. But wearing one with a full face shield (resembling a motorcycle helmet) is ridiculous when sparring with boxing gloves. This one Kung-Fu gym owner was telling how much better his style is vs. my sucky MMA when I was visiting. Then for sparring, he says my open face headgear is going to get my nose broken right away. I was like, 'oh my gosh'? And you spar hard? His student put on the motorcycle helmet, haha. First I thought it was light to medium sparring until he started off with a banzai, combo ending with full powered spinning back fist that caught me. So now ima try to break that face shield right off, but no matter how hard I punched it, it wouldn't break and couldn't drop him. He didn't like it though and couldn't land anything else after that SBF, especially by running most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Next week, the headgear I shall be mostly training in is:

Deely Boppers.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

SBK, this is your last warning regarding masked profanities/abbreviations. Do it again and you'll get a 3 day ban.

7. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

We don't spar with the Thai belly pads like you spar with the dog-bite suits.

Well now you're just lying because those guys in your videos do spar with that dog-bite suit on.

8. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Sorry, I totally forgot.

9. Kave

Kave Lunatic

If you are wearing a motorcycle helmet your eyes are not in play. Eye gougung a plastic face shield teaches you nothing about the quality of your attacks, nor as a defender does it effectively teach you wariness. Boxing head gear (and most other protective gear) lessens the impact, it doesn't take away the punch entirely. Fancy RBSD face shields may allow you to larp eye-gouging, but you are fooling yourselves if you believe that your eyes are really in play.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

This thread has run it's course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.