Why did Forrest Griffin got knocked out?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by The Decay of Meaning, Nov 23, 2009.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

I have long wondered why Forrest Griffin got knocked out by that jab from Anderson Silva. However, I watched this recently, in which the exact thing happened.

Watch it from 1:01

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGOU-UGGTrY"]YouTube- "Potent" Movie Trailor[/ame]
    Guy number one hunts guy number two with seeking punches, and guy number two launches a simple jab and guy number one falls.

What makes people fall from that jab?

And why did Griffin, who has a very strong chin (just watch the Forrest vs. Stephan Bonnar fight), get knocked out by a jab?

2. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

that specific jab worked because silva is using forrest's own momentum against him.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Spot on. Drive a car into a wall at 30mph, 30mph impact. Drive a car into another car doing 30mph the other way, 60mph impact.

Add to this the position of the body/head/chin when moving forward like this and the fact that Forrest came up against someone at the top of their game and you get the answer.

Mitch

4. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

Sorry I can't see the vid (at work). But if I remember corectly Forrest took a couple of shots to the head in the minute beforre he was knocked out. He was probably attacking to try and give his head a chance to recover, which made him a little lazy and left him open.

How good was Silva's control of distance in that fight. Especially the last exchange, when Forrest's punch was about an inch short, allowing Silva to use Forrest's momentum even more.

5. liero

liero Valued Member

real answer...

Anderson Siva Has Adamantium Fists

6. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Hate to be too technical but I'm pretty sure Silva hit'm with a straight right. It wasn't a jab in my opinion. It did sorta look silly at an angle but Forrest's momentum definitely got'm.

Rule #1 don't use your head to stop a fist.

I must defer to liero though and 2nd the fact that Anderson Silva has Admantium fists (and knees, and elbows, and kicks)

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was lead to believe that Forrest had his jaw broke in the first flurry of punches from Anderson. Then the last straight was the last straw. (?)

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

No that was a rumour they've said isn't true, probably made up by some fans to explain why he ran out of the cage. Not a dig btw I love the guy.

9. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Frankly, I think the idea that Forrest has a "good chin" is incorrect. He's been KO'd by Keith Jardine and, of all people, Jeremy Horn, and dropped by Rampage, among others. Yes, he looked good in the Bonnar fight, but Bonnar isn't exactly a knockout artist. I don't think he has a weak chin, but "above average" isn't in the same category as, say, Dan Henderson, or a prime Mark Hunt.

I think a big part of it had to do with getting knocked down twice. He basically had his brain pre-scrambled by those shots.

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

He ran full steam into anderson silvas fist. What do you want from the boy? I mean, his leg was off the ground when he fell face first into it. I don't care who you are, you throw yourself on someone's punch and they put some juice behind it, that's it man. Curtains. Badda bing badda boom. It says nothing about his chin or his heart, and saying he's not tough is like calling someone a sissy for not getting up after they get whacked in the face with a bat.