Why cant I jump rope?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ShadowHawk, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Jump rope took me ages to learn, like Blade I also have neurological disabilities so It takes me longer to learn and coordinate movement. But saying that, its not impossible to do. I used to dedicate at least 20 - 40 minutes a day to jumping rope, I got to the stage where I was wearing heavy steel capped work boots and a mouth guard which improved my cardiovascular fitness.

I'm looking forward to being able to skip again but at the moment I can't jump, yet alone run. Its going to be another six months before I can do anything properly.

2. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

thanks to all that stayed on subject and helped with the videos. I see what I was doing wrong now. I am now getting the hang of it.

Everybody else who came in my topic to clown around, save that for your own threads. Stay on point, check your vendettas at the door.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That is exactly how to start a thread derail.

One person has a little joke, that joke has passed and the thread gets back on track. You just could not let it lie.:bang:

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Hang in there :cool:

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

That's quite a thing to say in a thread that has "rope" in its title. :p

6. Rand86

Okay, in an effort to put something more productive in here, a clip of Mariusz Pudzianowski from before he won his fourth strongman title:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PovBRpNpetU"]Marius Pudzianowski training video - YouTube[/ame]

Not only did he jump rope even back then, but he has better ROM on cossack squats than the fitness bunny in front of him.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqvcYgT2xcs&feature=related"]5 year old jump rope pro - YouTube[/ame]

8. Rand86

On one side a five years old girl, on the other a dude who's made a name for himself by pulling trucks...

I think I'll just go ahead and get myself the damn rope.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Don't forget "The Baddest Man on the Planet":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0"]Mike Tyson Training Highlight Reel From www.mike-tyson.info - YouTube[/ame]

10. Rand86

Yeah, but with boxers it's kinda par for the course.

Come to think about it, Pudzianowski DID box for quite a while before taking up strongman. Old habits die hard, I guess. ;)

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Since boxers are interested in beating people up, as are we being martial artists, that should be enough of a reason to try it out in my opinion.

12. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I don't have a disability, the small cerebellum just makes things a tinsy bit more difficult. :) I'm not a disabled person.

13. Rand86

I was thinking more along the lines of "it's not a typical strongman fare." ;)

And like I said, the only reason I'm not jumping rope is because I cba. Dormindo does it though, so chalk this one up to me being a stubborn idiot. :whistle:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  14. Blade96

what's cba?

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Can't Be Bothered (only using a different word than bothered! ;)).

16. Blade96

Oh i get it now, lol, something like can't be arsed :p

17. Rand86

^ That's the one I had in mind anyway. :p

18. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

I found it easier when I tried to jump less if that makes sense. Just enough to let the rope under but no more. It become easier for me when I tried it that way.

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

...jump rope is a euphemism, isn't it.

20. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

For the longest time I was not able to do jump rope even if my life depended on it. I've watched countless videos and still no luck.

Then one day, I just took a jump rope and started messing with it. First, I started with one jump. Then I tried to go a little faster, but realized that I was very uncoordinated: I was jumping faster than I was swinging. So, what I did was jump twice, swing once. I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but basically you you're jumping twice on your toes by the time rope comes around.

From that day on I just started getting better and better at it. I still can't do the double swing or crossing the cable and switching sides, but I can do just enough :)

And just for fun, Ross Enamait showing off:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVkYjp4mqnc"]Jump Rope Training - RossTraining.com - YouTube[/ame]