Who's The Better Heavyweight?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Korpy, Feb 13, 2006.

1. LeiTong

LeiTong New Member

- Penn is unranked because he last fought as a MW, and doesn't warrant a spot there. I have him ranked #1 n my pound for pound list.

- I left Nakamura unranked as I felt he was given an undeserved gift vs. Kondo, plus JD wins over Vovchanchyn, Randleman & Bustamante (at LHW) don't mean much nowadays. Tito has not been active (and may actually be over the 12 month limit for my rankings...), but he's still only lost to 2 of the world's best LHW's over the past few years, as well as having a solid resume (despite weak showings vs. Cote & Belfort). However, if I were to drop him due to inactivity, I'd slide Smith up and possibly add in Nakamura, Jason Lambert or Forest Griffin.

- I feel it's a toss up between Karo & Trigg, and though I think Frank's on borrowed time, I picked him based on relative activity level, though the big wins for both have lossed luster recently.

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Although a light heavyweight Chuck would get mullered in Pride.

Mr Silva would eat him alive big time!!!

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I am as most people know a massive Igor Vovchenchin fan but time is not on his side and some dodgy called ref work.

He is a top contender when as in MMA Garry Godridge was kind of the bench mark level (early days here) and if you beat him then you had a chance but now sadly Igor seems to be that level although he has dropped to the Light Heavyweight division.

I think Fedor is 100% no questions asked king of the hill and Chuck will get schooled in Pride.

Badly - chuck is just a new version of Maurice Smith.

4. Ryo452

Ryo452 Valued Member

I agree. I don't care much for rankings, because I think people buy into them to much. Alot of people think just because fighter A is ranked higher than fighter B that means they would automatically get owned.

5. Mike Dunnage

Mike Dunnage Valued Member

Afraid i have to go with sonshu.

NOW that is one fight i would pay to see!

6. brainuse

brainuse New Member

I'm going to do the rare and quote myself because I have a feeling the above got missed the first time around.

Chuck's resume and skills are every bit as good as Wanderlei's if not better. Chuck hasn't lost in over two years. Silva has lost twice in just over a year. You many also remember him struggling to a split decision against Yoshida in that time. And while Wanderlei blew up Ramapage, who pounded on Chuck, Chuck blew up Tito who dominated Wanderlei.

So what is it you are basing this "Silva outclasses Liddell" theory on? Silva isn't even the best LHW in Pride at the moment.

And comparing Chuck to Maurice Smith, in terms of their fighting skills, is ridiculous. They are both kickboxers, but that's about it. Chuck's accomplishments are a long way beyond Smith's.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  7. Mike Dunnage

Mike Dunnage Valued Member

brain use its great to discuss these topics with some one who knows and researches their stuff, rather then some one who has just watched the ulitame fighter season one and suddenly decided their an expert.
    This is also the reason i enjoy this forum more then some of the others as people are willing to discuss rather then be super nice to each other and just slap each other on the back (with out being rude) or get stuck in retoric and system propaganda.

I was not basing my veiws on ranking systems but what i had seen on the screen and experienced while training.

I think silva would beat liddle because chuck is a striker and is becomeing more dependant on this game as it just gets better and better. Silvas way of countering this would be the clinch as his clinch work is some of the best i have seen outside the pro thai circuit. I do not think liddle would counter this with a take down as he wants to stay on his feet and wait for the opening to strike and that is why i thtink he would be vunerable.

And back to the original point about heavy weights I think fedor is a much more proven fighter then arlovski.

8. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Funny how we started talking about heavyweights and have now veered into light heavyweight territory. In my opinion, the new Chuck seems a lot more focused, a lot better conditioned and a lot smarter than the Chuck of two years ago, the Chuck who lost to Couture and Rampage. I think Chuck would give Silva a hard time. I might give the edge to Silva, but I wouldnt put money on it. As good as Silva is, I think he is on the decline. He's still a threat to most light heavyweight contenders, but he doesnt look like the Silva we saw two or three years ago. Shogun, on the other hand, is a different story. I think Shogun will be too explosive and too versatile for Chuck to handle.

As far as the topic goes. Fedor all the way!

9. impala

impala New Member

Chuck is a counterpuncher.
    Silva is a counterpuncher.
    But Silva is too smart to lose his patience and rush Lidell.
    It would be a boring match and could go to anyone due to decision or Silva by Headstomp.