Who's that kenpo guy?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by KMA, Sep 1, 2006.

1. KMA

KMA Valued Member

Does anyone know who that Kenpo guy was that fought in Utah on local WB show The Ultimate Combat Experience?
    He beat that guy a few months ago in a few seconds. I think he's an AKKI kenpoist, but I am not certain about that.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Write to the TV station that aired the show. if they don't know they can probably put you in touch with the producers of the show.

-D

3. bounty

bounty New Member

Hey, the man to ask is Clyde T Obriant, he knows all there is to know about full contact kenpo, at least he keeps telling everyone that he is the only one that is doing any contact stuff!:0

4. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Is this the same Clyde that used to post on bullshido? Same Clyde that claims to teach AK the "right" way and everyone else in AK hates him for it?

5. bounty

bounty New Member

Mr. Know It All

Yeh thats the guy, he only is able to impress the impressionable, lots of the younger or immature type of students gravitate towards him, but most realise PDQ that he has little if no foundation for his claim to be teaching "the real" kenpo or for that matter wearing the Rank of a Senior Professor.

6. KempoFist

Kinda off-topic, but in my opinion I've decided that there is no "real" Ke?po, and that the style in itself really doesn't exist. There's no universal traits that you can find at all Ke?po schools due to it's eclectic and bastardized history. You have everything from RBSD LARPing Ke?po to wannabe Shaolin Kung Fu Ke?po, to MMA Ke?po to wannabe Kajukenbo under the banner of Ke?po.

But back on topic, I was planning one of these days to take a trip to Cali to visit some schools, and Clyde's was on my list because he assured me that he had "teh real" American Kenpo and that he could prove it to me by sparring me and using the techniques he teaches effectively (something I have NEVER seen a Kempo guy do, regardless of lineage). I've heard Bullshido guys attest to his prowess and ability to do just as he says, but that's something I'll have to see to believe, and unfortunately he has something against posting videos of him sparring.

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

because when they have been, they've been made fun of...

8. KempoFist

;) :rolleyes:

9. bounty

bounty New Member

Any ke?po guy who gets in a ring under someone elses rules without having spent a great deal of time practicing for that particular event is gonna get hurt.The arrogance of these guys astounds me, you can hear them now in the safety of the studio,"right guys this is how you use ke?po agin a Muay Thai guy or when have a rumble with a gracie guy this is what you do".
    I kind of agree with everything you said about Ke?po, but that is what I think its strength is and not its weakness, if approached pproperly and seen for what it is.
    Kenpo is a lot of things to a lot of people, but it cannnot be what it aint!
    This is the trouble with the disillusioned and unfulfilled like O Briant.
    The vids that he has posted in the past are testamony to his fish bowl view of the world, he was great in the studio with "students" but as soon as he went public he was exsposed.
    He published a vid of him and a young guy called Joshua Ryer,the way I read what happened was that Josh seemed to think that Clyde was demonstrating on him for the benefit of the class and then changed the whole thing to embarass Josh and elevate himself, does insecurity come to mind. :eek:

10. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Any time you enter a sport, you have to adjust what you're doing for that sport. The Gracies had to totally change their game after everyone figured out how to sprawl and escape the mount etc. Kenpo is no different. If you take something that is designed to defend yourself against a common street attack scenario and go into the ring with it, you're going to have to change up what you're doing and how you train.

As to Clyde: well, he's an arrogant SOB, and I have had arguments with him on various boards over different things, but I will say that he's always been willing to take on challengers, so you have to give him credit for that. Like him or not, he'll be remembered as one of the ones that was willing to step up to the line and let the chips fall where they may.

People who've been willing to go compete in tournaments, in the ring, at throwdowns, or merely have an open door policy of "Come on over bro." have to be given at least a minimum of respect over those who don't IMO. You might not like much else about them, but you have to give them that.

11. bounty

bounty New Member

You know for a fact that he has taken on all challenges hmmmm, someone is not telling the truth here, I ve heard that there are a couple of Kenpo guys who's instructor Clyde has been bad mouthin, that clyde has been avoiding, let me check this out!

12. KempoFist

Well I'll let you know if he takes me on assuming I ever get my rear out to Cali.

13. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Hey, maybe you have info I don't.

Seems that he makes the throwdowns pretty regular and he SAYS he's willing to "Back his Sh*t up." So I guess I took him at his word.

Be interested to hear the final story on what you're saying.

14. eyebeams

eyebeams New Member

I think it has more to do with him using his "real" fists and feet in practice against non-choereographed resistance. I've never heard him claim any knowledge of the system that nobody else has. As for his rank, I believe it comes from Tatum. There a problem with that?

15. eyebeams

eyebeams New Member

I've also seen three videos of him sparring. One against an MMA/Kung fu guy, one against a grappler and one of him doing quick rounds with students. Come to think of it, I've seen more videos of Clyde sparring than any other EPAK guy I've ever heard of.

16. KempoFist

They online anywhere? All I've seen is one video of him with his hands down sparring and sidekicking one of his students that appeared to be terrified of him. I got into a bit of an argument with him on the issue when I accused him of abusing his position of instructor to make himself look good beating up his students who go into the match expecting to be destroyed. I call the phenomenon "sensei/sifu-phobia" and I've been able to utilize it back when I was teaching Kempo to make literally ANYTHING work in drilling or in sparring as long as I played the cards right and got my student to subconsciously go along. It's something I've been a victim of myself (sleepless nights trying to figure out how my Sensei made this move work on everyone, when in reality the move didn't work, but we were all too subconsciously afraid of him to NOT fall down/tap out. After all if we tried to be 'wise guys' or 'tough guys' about not tapping out or getting flipped to Chin-na & pressure point crap, then just IMAGINE what he'd do to us as a backup plan!).

Anyway, I got into a little tiff with him about it, and I told him that he should honestly not beat on his students but rather work with them in a more productive manner, but in the end I only saw one video, so I didn't have much of a leg to stand on as per criticism of how he teaches.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

This video was produced by somebody with an axe to grind, so there are some childish text commentary overlaid in the video. please ignore them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuO88ZnJRK8"]YouTube[/ame]

This is Clyde's youtube site

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=KenpoProfessor

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  18. bounty

bounty New Member

Seems like a real disciples reply, and as for Rank from Tatum, yep there is a problem with that, it aint earned its bought, ..."I've never heard him claim any knowledge of the system that nobody else has"......well he could'nt because his level of uderstanding is below the rank he wears, this why he makes up stuff like the "gelatinous stage" and the best one his "even ifs".
    He had a website which dissapeared, he had a chat room where he could not answer questions on topics he posted, that dissapeared,he posted one of the worst versions of a yellow Belt technique that I have ever seen and described it as "advanced kenpo" he could'nt take the heat and that dissapeared...... I could go on and on about this web jockey but I will cut it short and say hopefully he will just dissapear :)

19. bounty

bounty New Member

Who Have you heard of then? have you seen the vid of Doreen Cogliandro puttin him on his Ass in a technique line,beleive me she would do it in sparring as well :D

20. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Hey, I never said Clyde was impressive. I just said he went out and did his thing. I know that he posts his vids on youtube etc., but I've never seen one where he was doing anything that smacked of expertise. The Judo guy one was funny as hell. The one that he posted of himself in Philedelphia was underwhelming as was the one of him performing some technique on a student of his. I haven't seen the one you're referring to. I have no idea what the caliber of guys that he takes on at the throwdowns are, but at least he goes to them.