Who's on what medication?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Knight_Errant, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Unless you want to keep it to yourself of course. Personally, I have:
    Olanzapine to get rid of the voices
    Prosac to cheer me up
    Zopiclone so I can sleep

Just wondering... since I started on these meds I've been finding the creative process and motivation in general very difficult. Anybody else find the same?

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Every ten years or so I get a nice course of interferon based anti virals, motivation goes out the window when it's a struggle to get out of bed in the morning and you throw up everything you eat.

3. Knight_Errant

Ouch. Sounds nasty.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I take some muscle relaxants that help from cramps that occur from an old back surgery that acts up once in a while.

I use to take Prozac. No more though. I did not like the reviews on the stuff.

How old are you Knight?

Regards, Gary

5. Knight_Errant

21. I'm also fat and stupid and deserve to be punished.

6. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

that's def. not the right attitude to have!

i ditched all my meds, and run totally on supplements now. but at one point i was on 5 dif. athsma meds, an NSAID (it changed reg.), a muscle relaxant, vicodin... it was bad. i like my suppy's much better.

7. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey KE

If you think you're fat make some simple changes to your diet/exercise. If you think you're stupid, just read my posts and you'll feel much better about yourself.

I've never been on any meds.

KE - make sure you're only taking what you need. If you find it hard to sleep, try getting some exercise in before bedtime, have a hot shower and you might feel more relaxed. Is your room space conducive to having a good night sleep?

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There was a point in my life when I was on a mix of lithium, prozac and desyrel. I stopped them in the end, I wasn't feeling "better," I was just too zombified to do anything stupid, or anything at all. I couldn't write while I was on them, my guitar playing had no feeling and basically, I felt completely zonked all the time. In the end, I told the doctor that if it was a choice between taking my chances on my own and feeling like a zombie for the rest of my life, the pills were going
    I was 22 when I said that, I'm nearly 27 now and I'm stronger than I've ever been, physically and mentally. It wasn't easy, and I stumbled quite a few times, but now the only pills I shove down my neck in the mornings are vitamins and cod liver oil

9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hey knight_Errant, I'm on medication as well. Don't feel down about yourself, there are lots of people out there like you. Exercise will help a lot mentally. Get some fresh air into your system. In the morning or in the afternoon I like to go for a nice quite jog in the country side or park. Also eat a good balanced diet. If you are eating bad food (Like chips, soda etc) Of course you you are going to feel crap (Depressed crap).Eat lots of fresh fruit and veges, Fruit and veges carry a lot vitamins, which will help you feel better and less groggy forwards yourself. This will also help with the fat problem.
    When I was a kid I got told I was stupid a lot by teachers, I also got pushed around .
    I was home schooled. I used to have real problems about thinking that I was stupid and It took me about nine years to get over it. I'm 16 years old and doing courses at polytech, Ha so much for being stupid. Now I just laugh at my memories. Think positive thoughts about yourself, Negative ones will drive yourself and other people up the wall.

10. Knight_Errant

Cool. It's good to know I'm not alone.

11. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Chlorpromazine- It stops the voices telling me to go clean the guns

12. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Warfarin. I need it after my clot as it thins my blood so it can keep flowing.

13. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

That last one is interesting. My platelet count is higher than normal and the doctor was going to put me on Warfarin. Part of the reason it's high is that I don't have a spleen and that has somewhat of an impact on CRP HS (Inflammation) and I have a history of heart disease in the family. I asked the doc to let me try something first.

I was already on aspirin therapy and nitroglycerin. I changed my diet (more fish, omega 3, olive oil, almond nuts and wine, plus tiny portions of dark chocolate) and lots of green leafy vegetables w/vinagrette dressing.

After 3 months I retested.

My total cholesterol went from 185 to 140
    Triglycerides from 92mg/dL to 83mg/dL
    HDL from 63 to 43
    LDL from 104 to 80
    hs-CRP from 38.7 and 5.2 on 2 separate tests to 2.3

and platelets fell within the normal range for the first time that I can remember.

It really is amazing the impact that food can have on the human body.

I'm still on aspirin therapy and omega 3 pills, and only take the nitroglycerin if I feel chest pains.

14. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

I was on Prozac during my late teens and early twenties (Long time ago now) pretty common for males of that age group to get down, and in most cases it will pass. Its all about taking control and making positive decisions....

I'm not really qualified to say much more but just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one and you're not alone with this.....

One thing that did help me was a Counselor/therapist....good to get it all out....Tony Saprano style:)

15. paihequan

paihequan Valued Member

About 10 year ago I contracted Glandular Fever which then resulted in me being diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), a serious and debilitating illness that can last for years, and sometimes for life. Symptoms of CFS/ME include overwhelming exhaustion, both physical and cognitive, memory and concentration impairment, an intense 'flu like feeling, muscle pain, sleep disturbance, headaches, disturbance of balance and other symptoms. There is no effective treatment for CFS/ME.

The main symptoms of CFS/ME are persistent profound weakness, extreme tiredness after any form of exertion, disrupted sleep, pain and neurological and cognitive (thought related) problems. Other symptoms include:

* Orthostatic hypotension (a sudden drop in blood pressure when you stand up)
    * Orthostatic tachycardia (increased heart rate when you stand up)
    * Palpitations
    * Shortness of breath with exertion
    * Muscle twitching
    * Sensitivity to light, touch and sound
    * Nausea
    * Gastrointestinal and urinary problems
    * Sore throat and tender lymph nodes
    * Marked weight change - extreme loss or gain
    * Not coping with temperature changes.

As you can see this would and still does to some effect, have an impact on my training and capacity.

It gets worse, as a result of the CFS/ME I went on to develop Bi-Polar Depression. Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. Different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. They can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But there is good news: bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives. It is mainly caused by a lack of serentonin in the brain. Bipolar disorder is a lifetime illness.

This had a devestating effect on not only my training but my life, causing great grief for my family, and it could have destroyed my marriage had I not been urged to seek out help. It almost destroyed me. I have seen the darkness of humanity and myself.

As a result of the Bi-Polar condition and the CFS/ME I have had to re-structure my whole life (which includes my training and teaching). I have cut back on my teaching schedule and only now teach a small select group of people who I really like. With Medication daily, correct eating and training in Chi-Kung and the forms of my style etc I now have a normal (Whatever that may be!) life. I balance the effects of this disease by good diet, good training (smart training) and Chi-Kung practices which are a part of my style.

I also use Chinese traditional herbs including Monk Wine (500 year old recipe). There is no Western "cure" for ME.

It (Depression) can be hell to live through without a correct diagnosise and help in the form of medication. I in fact had a severe breakdown that made me shut off from the entire world for months. I was on Aropax but it just did not work for me. In some cases it made me worse and feeling even more depressed. I could not work and it had the potential to destroy me, my marriage and my life. I changed Doctors and medication (Efexor and Zyprexa) and immediately started to see improvements. Fortunateley my boss was very understanding and allowed me some considerable time off work (two months) to try different medications and to get better.

I am now feeling 100 percent better and far more active than I have been for some time. The spark is returning to my martial arts and life is much, much better now.

16. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I'm pretty sure I have manic depression. Really probably should see someone about it, but I like it weirdly. You cant feel really happy without feeling depressed some of the time. Contrast makes things taste sweeter.

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Naughty Knight mentions:
    I'm pretty sure I have manic depression. Really probably should see someone about it, but I like it weirdly. You cant feel really happy without feeling depressed some of the time. Contrast makes things taste sweeter.

Hi:

Your right you should have some counseling and learn more about it, if you really do have it. It is a serious problem and gets worse as you get older.

It is not for yourself I recommend it, it is for others who become subject to your swings... I would suggest you do yourself a favor and talk to someone who can help you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16491275/

Regards,
    Gary

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  18. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I saw a program about this, it was with Stephen Fry, and he basically said the same thing about his manic depression. Quite interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tv_and_radio/secretlife_index.shtml