who's going to the juniors?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by kareem, Jun 1, 2004.

1. kareem

kareem New Member

ok i found out how to post a new thread. yeah so i have 1 month to get my five students ready for the junior olympics. does any one have any pointers for me. so i just want to know if any of my fellow tkdoist are gonna be at the georgia dome cuz that would be cool. holla back ~1~.

2. Edward Hsu

Edward Hsu Valued Member

First of all good luck! We have been to the Juniors every year since 1998 and this will be the first one we will be missing since then, however we did attend the US Open this year, and we had students fight at the Junior fight-offs in Colorado this past April.We will be at senior national later this year(whenever they make the official announcement)

If this is your first year, then make it a 'learning' year...it is completely overwhelming when experiencing for the first time...no amount of training can prepare you, your students and their parents for the junior olympic experience.Some divisions can be 90 deep( though generally they allow for IO
    about 30 in a division) the holding area wait can be long and frustrating...

I see that you are from Teaneck...am familiar with a few schools in that area,I am also holding a 'friendly'sparring match at my dojang with 3-4 schools from NJ who will be attending Juniors this year, pm me and I will get you more info...

Edward Hsu
    Blue Dragon Martial Arts
    www.bluedragonmartialarts.com

3. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Good luck! I am gonna be competing in the Jr. Olympics, too

4. kareem

kareem New Member

well thanks for your comments both of you, oh yeah so how old are your stealth might i ask? and what division are u in just curious. and we will need that luck much appreciated

5. kareem

kareem New Member

oh yeah master hsu i went to your webpage and yes i did recognize you. and you were the co head organizer or the shock demo team. which is funny because when i trained at martial arts world in fairlawn under master sung chul kim (hint hint) we competed against one another be4. that was a few years ago but i've seen the shock team perform a few times pretty good.

6. Edward Hsu

Edward Hsu Valued Member

Good Luck to all of you competing at the USTU Junior Olympics this year in Atlanta...here are a few pointer's concerning this years' junior's...

CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE “OPEN”JUNIOR OLYMPICS:
    Due to the elimination of the state association’s authority to hold state qualifiers by the new USTU management and Governance Committee, there is a greater potential for a competitor to be placed at risk.

RULE CONFUSION:
    Tournaments have differing contact rules. Rules between clubs can be as broad as one club may kick to the knee; punch the head ; use take downs etc. and therefore may not necessarily be representative of the national Taekwondo expectation. Without a required state qualifier, members may not have a clear understanding of the rules and the competitor will potentially not have practiced using the rules that will most benefit him or her. A national level event is not the place to figure this out.

ATTRACTIVE HAZARD:
    Open implies all are invited...without a required screening process on multiple levels the potential for the unskilled competing with ‘junior elites’ is greatly increased. Out classing the opponent can and will cause injury some of the time. The referee may only be able to intervene after the skill levels are compared in the ring.

COMPETING OUT OF RANK:
    State qualifiers act as a reality check for competitors that attempt to compete at a lower level. Competitors tend to fight each other at state events; many train together. Other competitors at the state level could and would recognize a competitor that is not advancing in rank over time or one who has competed down level/s. We all have had this experience or have heard about one like it. At an open national event, it is unlikely the super skilled competitor out classing your green belt will be someone you know and can challenge.

NO CHECKS & BALANCES:
    The USTU does not have all the records for screening purposes to use as checks & balances when creating brackets.... particularly in the case of non-black belt children.

UNSUPERVISED:
    First time families that are not equipped as a coach / trainer should be aware that you will be separated from the competitor for lengthy periods in most cases. The family member without a pass will not be permitted in to holding. The coach no matter how caring may be torn between several competitors. It is RECOMMENDED that one parent minimally get a trainer’s pass even if you have a team coach.

PROTEST:
    The parent / coach that has concerns about the individual opposite his/her competitor has some options open :

* Take a PROTEST form with you and $45.00.

* Be sure to have form signed by a USTU current 4th Dan coach or higher

* Protest politely and IMMEDIATELY after the contest if you have concerns.

* State that you are contesting rank; rule; decision etc. and request name, age and state of competitor etc.

* It is YOUR JOB to be familiar with the rules.

PROTEST PROTOCOL:
    *Do not disrupt the match by entering the ring, yelling; using obscenities or standing.

* Do not approach the head table.

There are 1600 fewer juniors competing at this year's juniors then last year's(then again it was a madhouse last year)however, with all those who are 'new' to the junior olympic experience it should be just as hectic...this is the reason my club is skipping this years juniors...Good Luck!

7. kareem

kareem New Member

wow thats great information master hsu i did not realize that u could protest the outcome of a match, and i also did realize that there are so few ppl competing this year, do u or anyone else know exactly how many or a ball park figure of the competitors in this years juniors.

8. Edward Hsu

Edward Hsu Valued Member

There were approx. 5500 comp +600 coaches last year...
    you should also check out the policies of the Georgia Dome...Video Cameras allowed?
    Leave large camera bags at home.

Bags
    Bags are allowed.
    Prohibited: all coolers and backpacks, as well as bags larger than 8.5-inches wide by 13 inches long and 5 inches deep. All bags subject to inspection.

The last thing you need is to have your parents /students confused or upset with you because you weren't prepared...

9. kareem

kareem New Member

how are bags prohibited but yet the competitors can have their sparring bags? once again thanks for the information i would be even more lost with out this knowledge

10. kareem

kareem New Member

well we are leaving tomorrow after class driving all the way down no stoping except for gas. wish us good luck we shall need it. i have enough nervous energy for everyone there.

11. Edward Hsu

Edward Hsu Valued Member

Kareem:

Good Luck in Atlanta...don't be too nervous,there will be quite a few Masters from NJ, don't be shy ask them for help if needed...just remember to be patient, calm and understanding...you won't get anywhere when your frustrated.

I sort of regret not going to this years juniors...usually at this time there is so much going on with the preparation for juniors, though we were asked by the NYC & Company group to do a demo in chinatown,NYC on the 4th of july as part of NYC ceremonies (along with the 9/11 groundbreaking ceremony and the Macy's fireworks display) we will be the main show of the day...1st demo at 12 ,2nd at 2 on the main street

12. kareem

kareem New Member

ok well im back from atlanta today and the results go like this. out of the five students we sent to compete 2 of them got 3rd place. good job and we shall be back next year, it was alot of fun hmmm i wonder where its gonna be hopefully NJ.