Who was the hardest puncher in each weight class?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by qazaqwe, Dec 22, 2014.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Just trying to start a bit of a conversation about the hardest hitters in each weight class, here is my list:

Heavyweight-Vitali Klitschko (controversial, i know, but i guess the guy running heavyweightblog swayed me)
    Cruiserweight-Rocky Marciano (average weight 188lbs)
    Light Heavyweight-Michael Moorer (every fight he had at lt hvy was a ko victory)
    Super Middleweight-John Mugabi (this is quite a difficult division to pick though)
    Middleweight-Gerald Mcclellan (though some days i might say Nigel Benn)
    Junior Middleweight-Julian Jackson (although i could easily say John Mugabi again)
    Welterweight-Tommy Hearns (gotta have love for the hitman)
    Junior Welterweight-Aaron Pryor (hawktime!)
    Lightweight- Roberto Duran (manos de piedra was surprisingly literal at lightweight)
    Junior Lightweight- Alexis Arguello (much like hearns, his power made little sense structurally, but it was undeniable)
    Featherweight- Danny Lopez (i damn near broke my brain on this one, but if he isn't the best, he's definitely top three)
    Junior Featherweight- Wilfredo Gomez (his nickname was bazooka, that pretty much covers it)
    Bantamweight- Carlos Zarate (I'm pretty sure he still has the highest ko% of all time)
    Junior Bantamweight- Khaosai Galaxy (probably the most murderous body puncher of all time)
    Flyweight- Pichit Sitbangprachan (he wasn't around long, but he gets my nod in another difficult division)
    Junior Flyweight- Saman Sorjaturong (my pick from a four way split between Carbajal, Gonzales and Gushiken)
    Strawweight- Ricardo Lopez (he was damned near perfect at everything though)

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Julio César Chavez was known for extremely hard punches. Manny Pacquiao too, although some believed he was "juicing" during his prime. There's also a difference between single shot power (Tyson) and cumulative power (Khan).

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

While that is true of jcc, i find it hard to put him above either arguello or duran for single punch power, although i could probably be argued down over pryor on the matter, but i felt pryor probably deserved the nod regardless because while chavez might have hit marginally harder, his output, and debatably visible effects, of power shots far out weighed chavez.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

No talk of heavy hitters is complete without 80s boxer Julian Jackson being mentioned... and no Pacman and Prince Naseem don't even come close. :D Jackson fought for 18 years in the Middleweight, Light middleweight divisions. The title of the video 'decapitated' says it all....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQF-Q9BeLAw"]Julian Jackson - Decapitation - YouTube[/ame]

Herol Graham (a fighter I've always liked) was unfortunately on the end of it once. Ouch.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_EEeixw5yA"]Herol Graham v Julian Jackson Devastating KO - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Hell yeah, the second best boxer called the hawk, his fights with gerald mclelland were two of the most clear examples of mutually assured destruction in the history of the division.

6. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee Valued Member

I nearly cried for Graham when I first watched the Jackson fight and that was maybe a decade later!

Calzaghe's power was up there.

Holmes for most powerful jab???? :D

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Ooooh, Holmes was usually my go to no.1 jabber (particularly for a heavyweight) but i'd have to say that Wlad is edging closer and closer to that spot, particularly based on power, but Holmes jab was much more consistent and was a much more complimentary punch to Holmes than the cannonball that Wlad throws.