Who makes a good Rattan Stick?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Bodhi, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering who makes a good rattan stick at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance.

Peace

2. renegade

renegade New Member

3. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Thanks for the link.
    Renegade.

Peace

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Mother nature ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Mike

5. Jim

Jim New Member

The person with the most glue. (Couldn't resist either!)

6. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Funny, Thanks.

Peace

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Bodhi,

Welcome to the forum. Have you considered going to someone who manufactures Cane furniture.? They may have raw, unshelled material that could be cut to length ???

P.S. is that Bodhi as in Baldurs Gate?

8. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Could I ask this question from a UK perspective? Anyone found any good suppliers over here?

I pretty much break everythign I've ever bought within a couple of weeks and the import duty from the US seems a bit steep.

Somebidy once told me that you get good rattan from Spain but no supplier - any ideas?

Cheers

9. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Thanks Andy,
    I never thought of doing that? I'll have to search on-line?

PS. The Bodhi is Bodhi Darhma, Buddhist teacher.

Peace

10. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Warriors Den has great Sticks=-)

11. stickgirl

stickgirl Valued Member

hiya

I know that this place is uk based and they import direct from G.M canate so its all wekaf standards.
    and not a bad price too.
    www.eskrimador-supplies.com

stickgirl

12. moromoro

moromoro New Member

hi stickgirl

how are you?
    that link you gave the sticcks they have are at ridiculous prices.....
    thanks

terry

13. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

MoroMoro,

"the sticcks they have are at ridiculous prices....."

How So?

Thanks & Peace

14. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

moro, I think you're overlooking the fact that you live in the region. For us poor saps who live in America and Europe, we have to pay for the shipping (or, in most cases, our supplier has to pay shipping then jacks up his prices to us to compensate).

If we order them from someone in the PI, for instance, our per stick cost is cheaper, but the shipping still kills us and we have to wait a lot longer to receive them than if we get them from a supplier in our own country.

So, the prices we pay are to cover the supplier's shipping costs and the convenience of getting them quicker.

Nothing to be done about it.

Mike

15. moromoro

moromoro New Member

Hello pesi
    I HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM TRAINING IN THE PHILIPPINES, I PICKED UP A PAIR OF 1.5 INCH DIAMETER KAMAGONG STICKS FOR 260 PESOS FOR THE PAIR...

I ALSO BROUGHT HOME A NUMBER OF OTHER STICKS INCLUDING RATTAN AND AN ANTIQUE BAHI STICK 50YRS OLD WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY TEACHER GM ANDY ABRIAN HE IS IN MARK WILEY'S BOOK. i posted this on another thread but pesilat the prices that eskrimador supplies are posting are just way too much it just doesnt reflect shipping cost i got one of my cousins to send me another pair of kamagong stics and the shipping was only 400 pesos less than 8 dollars u.s and as you know the pair of sticks only cost 280 pesos this is for kamagong, rattan you can pick up for about 2 us dollars a pair and all that i have seen have been excellent quality in the philippines. Purchasing in the PHILIPPINES IS JUST SIMPLY ANOTHER CHEAP OPTION FOR THE PURCHASE OF THE BEST QUALITY ESKRIMA STICKS IN THE PLANET AND OFCORSE YOU KNOW 120% THAT IT IS MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES........SO IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY CONTACTS IN THE PI LOOK AT THAT OPTION FOR BUYING STICKS. YOULL BE PAYING LESS THAN 10% OF WHAT A LOT OF THE INTERNET SUPPLIERS ARE CHARGING........

thanks

terry

p.s yes i wanted some of this poat to be in capitals thanks

16. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yeah, but the problem is that a lot of us don't have contacts in the PI who can get us sticks. So we're stuck with the suppliers here. And, at least here in the states, $4 / stick is about the best you can do ... and that's not for nice sticks (though they're often durable sticks ... depends on how you judge "nice").

For bahi or kamagong, you're talking considerably more. Nothing to be done about it. We are victims of commerce.

Mike

17. moromoro

moromoro New Member

what a pity,
    yeah some of the businesses rip the hell out of ya......
    so mike do you also practice eskrima or do you just concentrate on silat,

thanks

terry

18. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. I do both. My primary art is called "Sikal." It's a hybrid of elements from various systems of Kali/Eskrima/Arnis and Silat.

At its core, on the FMA side, is Lacoste/Inosanto blend with some heavy emphasis from Balintawak (GM Bobby Taboada lineage) and Doce Pares (both traditional and, especially, GM Cacoy's Eskrido variant). On the Silat side is, primarily, Serak (de Thouars lineage) and Mande Muda.

Though there are other influences in both the FMA and Silat, those are the primary ones.

I also train in Kun Tao Silat de Thouars, Sayoc Kali, and Shen Chuan (which isn't an FMA or Silat system).

Silat is my passion, but I love the FMA, too.

Mike

19. moromoro

moromoro New Member

hi pesi

is sikal your art (your creation) ???

thanks

terry

20. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Nope.

The term "Sikal", as I understand it, was originally coined by Guru Stevan Plinck to describe what Guru Dan Inosanto was doing at the time (late 70's or early 80's). Guru Dan then used the term briefly. My instructor (and a handful of others) trained in it under Guru Dan. When Guru Dan started bringing Malaysian Bersilat into it, it evolved into what is now called "Maphilindo." Most of my instructor's peers began using the term "Maphilindo." My instructor opted to stick to the Filipino and Indonesian (instead of pursuing the Malaysian aspects) and continued calling what he was doing "Sikal."

My instructor's first certification in FMA was in traditional Doce Pares under GM Diony Canete.

While training with Guru Dan, my instructor was introduced to Paul de Thouars and Herman Suwanda. He trained with Paul in Bukti Negara Silat for about 6 years and with Herman Suwanda in Mande Muda for about 15 years. Since Dan had drawn heavily from these two sources, this was sort of an "extension" of what my instructor had learned from Dan.

My instructor went on to train with GM Bobby Taboada and was certified ("Completion of Art") by him. He also spent about 2.5 years training in Serak with Victor de Thouars and has spent a fair amount of time training in Kun Tao Silat de Thouars with Willem de Thouars.

He continued focusing on Filipino and Indonesian martial arts and continued teaching under the term "Sikal" because it was still an accurate description of what he was doing.

Over the years, he's trained with a variety of other instructors in FMA and Silat but those above were his primary influences. And he still considers Guru Dan to be his primary influence in the arts in general.

Presently, he's training with Tuhon Chris Sayoc in Sayoc Kali and teaching it as a separate curriculum.

So "Sikal" wasn't really "created" so much as "evolved." My instructor didn't really set out to "create" a new art. But the Sikal that he teaches now, while rooted in what he learned from Guru Dan, has evolved into my instructor's personal expression of what he's learned from all his instructors in FMA and Silat over the past 24 years.

Mike