Who likes to play with knives?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Trent Tiemeyer, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I have a crippling addiction to cutlery, and I was wondering who shares this affliction.

I prefer fixed blades, but don't carry them for obvious reasons. I have a nice Benchmade folder that never leaves my pocket.

What knife (if any) do you prefer?

2. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

i like knives. I carry a variety of folding or fixed blade knives, depending on the circumstances of my trip outside of the house. Most of the time, it'll be a neck knife, with a 3 or 4 inch blade. My current neck knife is a CRKT Stiff KISS tanto with a combination straight and serrated blade.

I just carry one knife at a time. I'm thinking of carrying a palmstick whenever I have to enter a building with good security.

3. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

You can't carry much more than a butter knife over here.
    :(

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I almost always have a leatherman wave with me. While I don't plan that I would use it in a fight as a knife, it would make a good knuckle re-enforcer.

Other than that, depending on the day, I may or may not be carrying a knife. If I am it's usually a cheap M-Tech tactical folder that's designed like a karambit (possibly my favorite knife design out there). It has the finger ring and the angled blade. But it's not one of the high end ones (I just can't bring myself to pay $200 for a carry all the time knife). Other times I'll carry a balisong (my second favorite type of knife).

Honestly though, if surprised I'd probably use a pen or a pencil before I attempt to deploy a tactical folder (or a balisong). They're great for stabbing, always "open" and don't immediately have the same legal ramifications as using a knife.

- Matt

5. Protein

Protein New Member

Around here you can carry any type of blades or weapons, if it's not a firearm and it's your sport-equipment. My sempai teaches knife-fighting, so if I go to a rough place, I usually carry an ugly and scary-looking Dragonlord-style blade. Not to use it, just to scare idiots away. Works well, I have been "attacked" two times, I just drawn the blade and they gave up. However, in a serious situation, I'd use my bare hands, cause this knife is not designed for use, and I don't want to kill anybody.

6. Darren

Darren Valued Member

Well, you can get arrested for just carrying a knife here, even just a fruit knife... so I leave knives at home. Given that I've not been trained to fight with a knife I think I'm better off bare handed. Then again if there's a broadsword lying around... :D

7. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

I dig all weapons.:D Knives are the most utilitarian.

However, other than boxing, I rarely use them, mostly for opening packages or cleaning animals after hunting.

Usually carry a Spyderco Endura II with plain edge. No carrying restrictions here--except courthouses and jails (and that's usually where you find me).:D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yep yeppy yep :p

KNife nut! There is no cure!

I own many - I carry one or all of the following on a daily basis...

Gerber E-Z out Folder
    Buck ATS-34 Foler
    Cold Steel San Mai III mini tanto

9. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Sometimes I carry my Leatherman and other times I wear a Newt Livesay neck knife.
    But I really really prefer bludgeoning tools like expandable steel batons...

10. Trent Tiemeyer

If I wouldn't look like a freak, I'd carry my Cold Steel Light Khukri.

11. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I pulled by Broadsword in a cafe once.... I scared a few tables into getting an early tab. ;) I wish I was able to carry the old hacker openly like the old days but...

12. Trent Tiemeyer

Are you the Highlander?

13. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I mean't a Chinese Broadsword not the "Och, Hoot Mon...Freeeeedooooom kind. I'd just bought it at the time and went to get a burger with my girlfriend and while we sat I pulled it out and was looking it over... I would like to carry a Broadsword openly as in the old Qin Dynasty days. It would sure simplify allot of things, like getting through those stringy bits of meat at BBQ's that plastic knives can't cut through. Chooooomph!

14. Darren

Darren Valued Member

I guess it's the glint in your eye as you salivated over your shiny new sword that got people worrying ;)

15. Trent Tiemeyer

I wasn't referring to the sword, I was referring to you carrying one in the "old days".

16. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I have a Leatherman in my handbag that I carry most of the time.

It's there mainly because I lost my Swiss army knife with the screwdrivers and I always seem to need a screwdriver... and a pair of pliers! :D

I prefer a ninja stick or any other type of distance weapon such as bo or arnis however they dont fit in my handbag.

17. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I too really like carry a knife. I helps for opening things in most cases. Every year I go to the toronto sportsman show and get a bigger folder. The "cooler" knives are easy to get, but I'd rather not be caught with one of em. As for martial arts knives, I can order them from the dojo catalogue, but sensei would wonder why I wanted one, because he teaches escrima and nothing else related to blades. A big folding knife that opens fast, held properly, and in a good stance, shows experience. Thats very intimidating in an attacker situation, unless of course he has a gun. Thats why Im interested in knife related ma.

My knives

4" blade. stainless steel, folding knife.

6" blade, cool looking bladed, folding knife

7" blade, hunting knife, handle is made from deer antlers, looks cool

Machete, found in basement, mainly just for adding emphasis in short sword katas.

THen I have my stick, which would probably be the most prefered weapon out of all of them, because its so fast, strong, and technically its non leathal.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  18. khafra

khafra New Member

Bit late to start worrying about your looks like that, isn't it? :D
    Seriously, though, folks--I've kinda wanted a khukri for a while, but I only really carry folders. Closest folder I've seen to a khukri shape is the REKAT Sifu, and that's kinda expensive and still not quite khukri-y enough.
    [​IMG]

REKAT's Pocket Hobbit is pretty cool too, though.[​IMG]

19. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I carry with me a Benchmade folder, the Osborne design w/axis lock. At work I have a couple I carry, one is a CRKT tanto blade folder, and then a cheap folder with a tanto blade. I had a Kershaw folder that had a spring assisted blade, but I lost that at work which bummed me out.

20. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Perhaps my dumbest move ever (and I mean EVER) was forgetting that I was carrying a spring assisted knife in my pocket as I went through an airport security check in a post 9/11 world. Ugg. I was too far in line to turn around when I realized what I was doing (and too concerned that I'd be picked out as a terrorist). Then I had to watch in horror as the airport security person who took the knife was trying to figure out how to deploy it (it was a tactical folder type of design).

Sometimes you just want to disapear into a crowd. That's what I did at about that moment. Thankfully I didn't end up in Cuba for my mistake.

- Matt