Who likes King of the Cage?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Korpy, May 15, 2005.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

<removed> you seriously think Belfort could beat Cro Cop OR Fedor? apart from being in a different weight division, Belfort has enough trouble with much lesser opponents. Arlovski... possible.

how is it better? try asking some of the fighters on sherdog. UFC has enough financial trouble as it is, while Pride is massive in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2005
  2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i think vitor stands a shot. arlovski most definately. Liddle....hmmmm.
    couture is a possibility.

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Genki Sudo has not fought in Pride before.

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Pride quite simply has the best talent pool in the world, particularly at heavyweight. There is not a single guy, even Arlovski, in the UFC that I would be comfortable betting money on against Pride's top three heavyweights. Arlovski might be the real deal, but we just don't know yet - he hasn't really been tested against a top 10 heavyweight since Pedro Rizzo and that was a long time ago. Apart from him, the UFC's light heavyweight division is solid, but still not as deep as Pride's similar division; aside from Couture, Liddell and a severely lackluster Belfort, they don't have any serious contenders, though Bablu looked impressive on his return. The welterweight and middleweight divisions are stacked and I'd like to see them try to make more stars in those weights rather than bump them onto the undercard so they can fit a heavyweight fight that no one really wants to see on the broadcast.
    Also, I prefer Pride's rules. The UFC just lets too many fights drag into lay n pray boredom because there's no penalty for not attempting to finish the fight. Pride has better production, better fighters and for the most part, better fights. There have been some great UFC fights and I love the UFC dearly, but Pride is just the highest level in MMA purely due to the kind of money they can put into it. That said, they need to get Steven Quadros back because this other guy's so bad he makes Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan sound great - he even makes Bas sound lame for being on the same announcing team
    As for King of the Cage, it's OK. I like the smaller cage, it causes more action, but the caliber of the fighters is noticably lower. Personally, I prefer WEC - they've had some wars in that little cage and they've always got a great crowd

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

WEC is great. we can't forget that Olaf vs Johanson. that was a WAR!!!!
    and there was a few good ones between Leban and Quarry too.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

oh come on.

nothing offensive there. that wasn't nessecary.

you guys really should lighten up a bit.

7. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

I think KOTC is really boring, its like a lot of ppl ther edon;t even know what their doing. I like shooto more.

8. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

When discussing UFC, I like to focus more on their Welterweight/Lightweight/Middleweight divisions. I think Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre, Karo Parisyian, Matt Serra, and Yves Edwards are exciting fighters who are great at their weight class. Pride certainly dominates in Heavyweights and Light Heavys, but weight classes below 185 is where the UFC shines.

Side note: I did notice that Yves Edwards will be at the next Bushido event. Was he signed by Pride or is he just fighting for the event?

9. impala

impala New Member

Pride got some good Fighters under 185 too, like gomi, pulver, chonan...

10. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

True, and Pride is certainly building that category, but I still don't think their under 185 has the same level of competition as UFC's under 185 categories. I think the Middleweight and below weightclasses for the UFC are just stacked.

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The UFC has canned their lightweight division for the time being leaving Yves a free agent. I believe Yves has been signed by Pride and if he is successful in his fights, will be given a shot in their LW GP a bit later this year. It's a shame the UFC has cut the LW division, I really enjoy watching the little guys go at it

12. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

shame about the lightweights. I just saw UFC 49 where Yves landed that wicked roundhouse.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I love watching the lightweight fighters, and im really glad to see Pulver in Pride; His boxing inspires me.

I've just managed to get hold of a copy of his book called "Little Evil" which talks about his roughy childhood and his rise to fame, an excellent read! :D