Who is this Bruce Sims?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by JTMS, Oct 24, 2007.

1. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Tell us what you know. Does anyone even like him? (Aunt's and grand mothers excluded).

Where is his dojang? I am not sure if he even has one!

Just curious :D

2. Utotin

Utotin Valued Member

Master Murphy, how are you? This is Dan Leyva from Sierra Madre Hapkido in So Cal.

Anyway, Bruce Simms is a guy who appears to be very sincere in his passion for HKD and his efforts to preserve and propogate HKD. He has authored a few books on HKD and contributed to a very good article on Choi, Yong Sul and the Yong Sul Kwan. He teaches a college HKD course in Illinois and is affiliated with Kwang Sik Myung. He can be pretty opinionated, abbrasive and hard headed at times, and seems to have stepped on alot of toes, but he appears to have good intentions.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I've been interacting with Bruce for a few years now, mainly on www.hapkidoforum.com and have had great conversations and horrible flamefests with him. His passion and his quickness to call "BS" on things can sometimes lead to nasty threads and flamefests but at the same time his depth of research and general overall knowledge makes most of his posts well worth reading. He definately is an asset as far as raising ideas and stimulating discussion.

On a side note, I've been on the mat with him and he's fun to work with. He knows his stuff and loves to share. Granted, we had quite a flamefest after the meeting because of differences in expectations.... but oh well. :)

His dojang website: http://www.midwesthapkido.com/

Amazon's list of books

4. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hi Thomas!

What a small world. I was just thinking about spending a little time on the mat with Bruce myself :D

5. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings

I also think Bruce is intellegent and could be an asset to the HKD community if he'd temper his behavior and have more tolerance for others.

In person when he came to my school last year for a get together he didn't act up but then when he came back to his computor he went off and blasted almost everyone there.

6. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

7. Hapkid0ist

Hapkid0ist Tsalagi Pride!!!!

Hello, those of you that know me know that I myself have had a run in or 2 with Bruce. My very first post in fact....
    Bruce tends to read into things and does not give straight or simple answers. Yes he is a world of information and for the most part seems to be a good guy. But a persons attitude and how they deal, interact and react with others is a greater tell of a persons character. And like all of us he has some work to do on this.

Now me personally, I get along with almost everyone. I am not that knowledgeable about associations, organizations. Heck my knowledge outside of my own teacher and dojang is limited to say the least, and what I do know I have gotten from people like Bruce. But when you are quick to anger and are abrasive, read into things and seem to lack courtesy and tact much of the time you will not get taken seriously as much as you may desire.

A person can be the best in the world at what they do, but their personality and attitude can sabotage everything...

8. Hapkid0ist

We must all remember that our way is not the only way, and that our truth is not the only truth or even the ultimate truth.

9. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

With all do respect...why then bring up a topic like this and about someone when its been dead for 3 months.

Dave O.

10. Hapkid0ist

Reasonable question. Myself, I have been off the net for a long time now. I was finally able to get back on and on the boards and respond to posts. I was not looking at the post dates.

11. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

Darn you and your honest upfront ethical answer. :D

Welcome back. I have missed your input here and on the other one as well.

Cheers,
    Dave O.

12. Hapkid0ist

Thanks, well, now that I believe the internet issue is fixed I'll be on as often as I can. But it looks as thought the HKD sie is a bit slow..

13. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

really? we gonna start doing threads on who the others that don't have pictures of themselves are? i say, let everyone be left alone. and leave it at that.

14. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Hyeongsa, this thread is a couple years old. :p

15. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

*sighs* i know that. this thread was linked in another thread. i wanted people to read my comment so they'd leave bruce alone. i don't like him much anymore, but i dont' think its prudent to rip him apart. what are we, girls??