Who has most influenced your game

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by icefield, Jun 15, 2020.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Other than your coaches obviously, who has most influenced your personal game?

When I started VHS was still the rage instructionals were hard to find but Marcelo Garcia's early sets were a gold mine for me and still influence my game to this day.

I made a whole guard game out of the Marcelo-tine and armdrag to back take. A whole top game out of pressure passing and forcing them to roll from side control so I could get the harness.

My game has evolved there's a lot more emphasis on the kimura , single X 50/50 and arm in chokes these days so Lachlan Giles is now a big influence as is Tom deblasses kimura and half butterfly game (can't stand the man but as a heavyweight his game makes a lot of sense for me) but I still find the base of my game to be round the principles I got from Marcelo's early and later work, he really was a head of the game for so long

axelb likes this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd say I like Roger's style most and I try to emulate it because it's so simple.

What rank are you Icefield?

Mushroom likes this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Most of my training is no gi, about 17 years, I did two or three years of adult judo (yellow belt) and a bit of bjj so white belt I usually just go along to so open days or local clubs to roll not worried about grading, but IhI my own rolling with purples and browns as long as they don't start using the gi as a weapon :(

axelb, Dunc, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

As an older grappler I love to learn from Mauricio Gomes (aka Roger’s dad)
    His use of pressure to slow down faster people is really useful for me and he positions himself very precisely so that it looks like you can attack, but when you do some detail has been blocked from you and he uses that to turn the tables

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Marcelo has been a big influence on me, same with the arm drag back take and butterfly recently more so Roger Gracie and adam Wardzinski as I focus recently more on gi.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Good question, which hasn't really got an answer,

I used to love BJ Penn fights, and his YouTube
    Clips were some of the first instructions around.

I've never really used dvds that much, so its more the attitude, of just being so good at the fundamentals that I can ram them down someone's neck that I've focused on, go/nogi/SD/MMA, it's all one thing, Gunner Nelson is another great example of that, but as time moves on, what is fundamental has changed too, so after having a little time off, serious training I really do feel like I have a lot to catch up on.

axelb likes this.
  7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

:p sakuraba!

Mushroom and axelb like this.
  8. john_newman

john_newman New Member

Marcelo Garcia is truly influenced on many BJJ folks.
    Alexandre Ribeiro commonly known as “Xande” Ribeiro is also a legendary jiu-jitsu competitor.

axelb and Mangosteen like this.
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Obviously my coach who is a Roger Gracie and Billy Robinson student influences me most.
    But the idea of top mount pressure from Josh Barnetts double wrist lock and Roger's stack pass, really showed me how much pressure I can actually use and not comprimise my position.
    Ive experienced both first hand and nearly cried both times.

Mangosteen and axelb like this.
  10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

° That's some solid lineage!

I had my first training for six months yesterday, so currently my life is influenced by Dr reddys Ibuprofen!

axelb likes this.