Who else thinks this is wrong

Discussion in 'Judo' started by GojuShotokan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

I have been watching. She is definatly very, very good. Which was odd to find out because her fights in expendables 3 were not that good for me. Still, her acting is on par with the best action movies from the 80s :D

In mma, saw a fight she finished in 19 sec with an armbar. Damn...

3. Dead_pool

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm sorry, but until I see an reputable primary or secondary source for this, I still don't believe it. That means the IJF, a national body who received the letter or an athlete who has been given guidance by their national body.

Rousey is quoting the dodgy blog. Pedro just said he 'heard' about it but didn't say from who and given that he might have heard about it from Rousey, this all still seems unlikely. There is no reason whatsoever for the IJF to make this rule and whilst they have been very rule happy over the last 5 years, they have always had strong justification for the things they've done.

5. holyheadjch

What are you on about? These politics absolutely exist in MMA - if you fight for the UFC, you ONLY fight for the UFC until they sack you.

6. Dead_pool

Its confirmed on the bja Facebook page.

7. holyheadjch

I'm looking and I don't see it

8. Dead_pool

Bja group - comment last on thread by lance wilkes

9. holyheadjch

I know Lance, so I guess that's confirmed then.

I think it's a stupid rule at an IJF level, but as is pointed out in the comments on that Facebook thread, funded athletes will already have clauses in their national org contracts restricting their other sporting activities. This is SOP for elite level athletes. A professional (by which I mean nationally funded) marathon runner isn't allowed to join a Sunday League football team, for example.

Unless the IJF are paying these athletes a stipend outside of competition prize money (which they might, I don't know), I don't see how it's any of the IJF's business.

10. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

Did not realized that. I retract my comments. Serves me right from talking about what I am not so familiar with.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have a friend who competes on the national team as a brown belt. This affects him because he's competed overseas. Apparently he got an e-mail.

12. Dead_pool

13. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

Do in the end it comes down to money. I loath the argument that they don't make "anything" from their investment when judo players go to other sports. What investment? As far as I know the players themselves invest a lot more in terms of money and time.

It is stupid to say the Least. The best answer would be to create a set of rules like original judo (ipon or submission to win) and all grapling arts welcome. Then give the finger to ijf and never return.

14. holyheadjch

It will be interesting to see how they enforce this, or indeed if they attempt to enforce it.

15. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

"We lost money so we're going to restrict your freedom of choice which is going to make people leave and other think twice about joining so we'll lose even more money."

"Oh, and those of you who cross trained and tried to expand and improve yourself as martial artists, you're dirtying our art and undoing generations of work so good job."

17. Combat Sports

I really wanted to seriously compete in Judo. I was never going to be "ranked" of course but this, along with the no legs, and the crazy gi rules that change constantly are really turning me off.

18. holyheadjch

The no legs rule has made judo a lot more fun. Most of the ijf rule changes have been for the better.

19. Combat Sports

I agree with Hitler's take on the issue.

Video removed.

Sorry, but with the swearing in the subtitles we see this as being just as bad as typing in the bad language.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  20. holyheadjch

Judo with leg grabs became just two people bent over at the waist pushing each other around for 5 minutes. It was boring to watch and unless you were a pick up guru, boring to participate in.