Who DOES NOT use weight training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, May 2, 2004.

1. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Strongman includes the O lifts, so it has all that O lifting has to offer, plus a butt load more.

2. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

I never said I think O lifts are useless, I said training for strongman is better than training to get a barbell over your head, which is what O lifting is.

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Didn't say you said that....:p:D Both are great IMO. Mixing them can only be that much better...:D:D :eek: YAY! So we all kinda agree (in our own way).

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Wait, let me get this straight...you guys are arguing which one is better-oly lifting or stongman training? This has to be the strangest argument ever.

You guys are silly, we all know that kettlebells are the only way to go. :p

5. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

really? last time i checked the muscle and fitness top 10 weight training ways, clubbells was #1 :confused:

6. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

I don't know if you were kidding or not, but Muscle and Fitness is a pile of crap.

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Bah, forget you guys, I'm sticking with my 275-rep sets of push-ups. :p

An a related note, T-Nation just had a pair of articles discussing the recent NSCA convention. There was a lot of talk about strongman-training for athletes. (Hope that doesn't sway this arguement one way or the other. I think Ghost hit it on the head...don't bicker about which style owns which style, use them both, and everyone wins.)

Here's one of those articles.
    Some highlights:

"The best balance training device is the barbell. Athletes need to put weight over their heads in exercises like the snatch to develop true core stability. This is better than any stability ball exercise."

"Modified Strongman Training or MST isn't a novelty add-on, but a legit form of training. You don't have to be a strongman competitor to reap the benefits of this type of training."

"Modified Strongman Training is best for contact sports. It's better for football and hockey than soccer and basketball, but everyone can benefit from it. They even have their golfers performing sled drags with 25 pounds (the weight of the average golf bag.)"

"A properly executed tire flip has a very athletic, plyometric effect that equates to power cleans at a 45 degree angle."

8. Saru

Saru New Member

I used to body build when I was a teenager while studying martial arts, I became really bulky due to the insane amounts of muscle I was packing on, and the crazy diets I was putting myself through to get bigger.

I realized this method was weakening my speed and flexibility. Though I was stronger than every one I fought or spared against, I would lose a lot more matches a lot more due to my incredible loss of speed. And my techniques were getting ridiculously sloppy because I was focusing more on power versus any thing. All my forms became very unsmooth because it was a lot harder to move my body naturally.

And even though it’s not about winning or losing but the amount of knowledge you gain after a fight, I was often to frustrated to concentrate on the assessments of the fight to have learned any thing.

So I stopped lifting completely, changed my diet going from eating 6 meals consuming approximately 4-5 thousand calories a day to eating 3 meals a day consuming no more than 2,000 calories a day.

My exercise routine consists of running a total of 8 miles a week , so I split the running up into four days running two miles on the days that I run. 130 push-ups, 500 crunches, and leg lifts a day. And at least a bare minimum of 30 min. of stretching a day. Plus my classes of martial arts which take up 6 days out of my week and there are certain days where I take two classes a day.

My body is incredibly lean, and even though I lost a lot of mass, and can not lift as much as I could, I don’t feel restricted when it comes to strength, especially since my speed and flexibility well makes up for the loss of weight.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I don't use weight training to help with my Aikido. Since it's focus is on blending rather than stopping being stronger is less important. Keeping fit is still important though. So we use a combination of stretching to maintain suppleness and a good energetic practice to maintain stamina. I also do a lot of jo and bokken work out with normal training hours.

10. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I say they're both good and each is great to use for developing different kinds of strength.:p Kettlebells....LOL!

11. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Don't blame your muscle, blame the way you trained. If you just trained for muscle growth and a bit of strength the whole time, what did you expect? If you trained for power and did suffice cardio like bag hitting you would be much better.

Your current routine looks a bit worrying, pushups crunches and leg lifts doesn't balance out.

12. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

True dat. You need leg and back work.

13. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

REALLY? WOW! thanks ;)

14. Saru

Saru New Member

“Don't blame your muscle, blame the way you trained. If you just trained for muscle growth and a bit of strength the whole time, what did you expect? If you trained for power and did suffice cardio like bag hitting you would be much better.” - ninjamonkey

First off let me put things in prospective as you might have just misread what I was doing. I weighed 330 pounds and I was body building, to enter strong man competitions and modeling (not glam modeling obviously). So the only cardio I got was from my martial arts. And when you are trucking around that much muscle it does get cumbersome.

But now I weigh 190 at 6” 2’

"True dat. You need leg and back work." - fixationdarkness

Running, is leg work last time I checked and as for back I used to do a ton of back exercises and my back hasn't exactly turned to flab... Plus the massive amounts of physical activities I do helps keep my back toned and in shape.

“Your current routine looks a bit worrying, pushups crunches and leg lifts doesn't balance out.” - ninjamonkey

And yes Push ups, crunches and leg lifts evens out well. I occasionally curl like twice to three times a week. These upper body exercises helps keep up my strength because I am doing so much cardio.

Did you even read all of what I wrote? I exercise for about a total of 12 to 14 hours per week, some times more.

I am in better shape than I think I have ever been in my life, and I am in way better shape than most the people I know.

Please don't criticize things you can not back up or prove or know nothing about. You can not simply say something doesn't work, and give no reason as of why, especially since I have been doing it for many years and never once have I been disappointed with my results.

I am not telling any one how to work out, I was just saying why I stopped weight training.

15. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

While that is indeed a hefty amount of muscle, I would have to agree with Ninjamonkey. Have you ever seen 250+ olympic lifter jump or sprint? Very very fast they are. If bulking made you slow, blame your training.

Running does little to improve your speed. Sprinting helps more than jogging, but weights will help the most. What back exersises do you do? And also, toneing is a myth - no such thing.

Sorry Saru, but they do not even out. Think about how many muscle groups aren't working. LOTS! If you do strengthing exersises, you need to make SURE you workout the opposing groups. If not, imbalances will occur.

Just because you are in better shape than before, doesnt mean what you are doing is nessicarily the best way. Its the classic case of "good, better, best"

You should not tell people who offer there advice to you that "they know nothing" when you exibhit minimal knowledge on training methods. Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing you, I just found your comment to be inapropriate and hypocritical.

16. Saru

Saru New Member

I don’t understand, you keep telling me to blame my training for my lack of speed, I did. I trained completely the wrong way, especially if I thought I would stay fast, and even maybe I even did it the wrong way for putting on muscle. I've already said this in my first post...

And so far I haven’t even heard any advice to better my current work out methods.

If some one were to have wrote, “instead of doing this you should do this“, “or maybe try adding this to your work out”, things would have been different. But no, I get simple, “you’re doing it wrong’s“.

I work every muscle group in my body. My shoulders, abs, and chest are the least worked muscle group in my body with out doing push ups, and crunches on top of my daily exercises. Hence why I do them.

I certainly do not think it impractical or inappropriate to say that some one who has given a person no evidence what so ever that contradicts their actions to not flat out criticize some one’s work out method. Especially if it is working for them.

Maybe every thing was misinterpreted, and read the wrong way. I apologize for letting this get to me, and if you would like to give me actual advice on how to better my current training I would be more than appreciative. But I will not keep this topic at it’s current tone, so if you wish to keep arguing with me feel free to PM me, but I am over it, and apologize again.

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Might be best to start a new thread and list your current routine.