Who DOES NOT use weight training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, May 2, 2004.

1. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

It never fails to amaze me how some people STILL dont see the benefits of weight lifting.....

But i guess i can see where you are coming from, you dont wont to become a "bodybuilder", because then, youre gonna get big, bulky and slow, right? right?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I think its time for Yoda to pull out his woe is me picture :D.

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Indeed! And finish the thread off with a Jerry Springer style summary! :D

Not a hard conclusion to come to; weights will make you stronger and therefore a better martial artist. Theres no denying it!!! :)

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Korpy.. lol.
    Come on bro... understand the bigger picture here. Resistance via weights is going to benefit or improve pretty much everything you do in martial arts or any other physical activity. No one is forcing you to become a body builder or a raging slab of beefcake.

But go back over the threads in the H&F forum and you'll find there is a ton of really valuable stuff posted by guys with a lot of sound knowledge.

now....

Look at the even bigger picture... the meta-picture if you will...

Your probably not going to ever fight in your life as much as you will be spending time trying to get a leg over... bodyweight exercises are fine for staying generally fit... but they add prescious little to your visual repertoire towards the end of helping you get shag-a-delic on some hotty. The benefits of weight lifting give you more of an arsenal to employ in those moments where the young lass goes home/into the toilet/out to the alley way with you or the other young punter.:eek:

Even if you discount (foolishly and at your own loss) all the other benefits of lifting weights - you should seriously consider if you can afford to take so lightly the benefit of weight lifting in regards to your pulling power with the ladies.:D

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

as usual slipthejab ignores the petty martial arts crap and gets right to the important bits- SEX :D

6. NaughtyKnight

BWHAHAHA

Love it.

Well thats the reason I lift weights.

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

If we being honest, mine to! :D

8. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Hey, I use those pink dumbbells for my lying leg raises! [​IMG]

So, is that why I only gained 5lbs in just over a year even though I put almost 200lbs on my squat (185 to 365) in the same time period? I don't eat enough....But eating a lot is the hardest part!

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

and I use them to hurl at other motorists who cut me off in the traffic

10. NaughtyKnight

Thats a bloody good idea actually :D.

I just usually turn up my sub and blast them away with some hard trance while I flip them a LONG bird.

11. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

That's a great idea. I usually honk the horn...but a flying pink dumbbell will teach them a lesson.

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

And they'll think he's a "lifter!" better not mess!

:D

13. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Quite right. Didn't I read that Herschel Walker never used weights but rather did a 1000+ pushups and bodyweight squats every day. He also ran sprints with a tire dragging behind him. But he didn't develop mamoth legs or top quality sports ability.

Weights will work wonders. But I wouldn't dismiss bodyweight exercises either.

14. NaughtyKnight

The reason that sumos and the like do bodyweight, is because they weigh like 300lbs.

If you want to get big and strong, then lift weights, if you want to be small and skinny, you can try bodyweight.

15. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I think the reason that sumos do it is because of tradition. But, hey, next time I see one, I'll be sure to ask.

However, I think you are dismissing an important type of training if you ignore bodyweight exercises. I use them and can certainly feel the workout. I use weights and can certainly feel the workout. Both will work. The problem that many people have is that they put no mind into their workouts. You start pumping out pushups and then you switch to thinking about what you are going to do that night. Would you do that when you are doing reps with 280 lbs? Focus and intensity are always important.

BTW, most who use bodyweight exercises also include isometrics and dynamic tension exercises in with those. They can be every bit as tough as weights, just without the weights.

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Purpose of this thread is to highlight the benefits of adding weight training to your routine.

Your going off on a bit of a tangent adding bodyweight training to your weight training ;)

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Isometrics? dynamic tension? Wash your mouth out with SOAP!

18. furn

furn Valued Member

Some martial artist don't like weight training because it shorten the flexibility of the fighter by tighten the muscle. imao to prevent this if you do much repetition with less weight, you can do weight training without losing flexibility, and if you mix that with streching...anyway, maybe it not that too, only my opinion

cya ;)

19. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Sorry but your "opinion" is wrong. It is not an opinion when you're dealing with factual information.

Anyways, do static stretch after lifting and do dynamic streches throughout the day. This will increase your flexibility. High reps with low weight is used only for rehab from a serious injury.

20. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

But if you want to be small and strong...lift weights. ;) There's the part that's getting misunderstood.

Yeah, that would be why. Nice job on the strength gain, though. I'd be interested to see (in another thread, not to hijack this one) the routine you used.