Who DOES NOT use weight training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, May 2, 2004.

1. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Maybe, but thats why there is the olympic lifts!

In the Mexico City Olympic Games Dr. Yessis did a field test with the Olympic lifters competing and the Olympic sprinters and jumpers. They had two tests , the 25m sprint and the vertical jump. It was documented that the Olympic lifter’s out sprinted the Olympic sprinters in the 25m and out jumped the Olympic jumpers in the vertical jump!

This is quite a feat for men 200+ lbs.

2. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

HAH! That is pretty interesting. Maybe the sprinters should hit the weights a little more :)

3. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I used to complement my Karate with some resistance weight training on the bowflex, but I would do bicep curls, benching etc with my free weights also. I just recently started training mma and the classes are tough. If I do a workout in the day time before I go to class, I'll be too tired won't be able to keep up in class. I am way too tired after class to do a workout.

I would like to get back into it, but I need to wait until the classes don't have such an effect on me.

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Traditional excersies do wonders.

Push ups, sit ups, crunches, leg lifts, jumping jacks, laps, stretches.

The beautiful thing about Hapkido is you don't have to be a bodybuilder.

You just have to be somewhat fit.

I'm fit, and planning to work out even more.

I don't need weight lifting.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

quite right! why try to aim for the clouds when you are quite comfortable walking in the fog. welcome to mediocrity.

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Why be a little skinny guy, when you can be medium size and muscular?

7. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

First off....LMAO @ Ikken....:D Always there to "encourage" people;).

Secondly... This is an OLD thread.

Thirdly... Bodyweight exercises have their place, weights have their places. They're just a few of the many tools we as martial artists have. Using them in conjunction can help one person, or hurt another. It's important to take advantage of the tools we have. My two american cents that are shiny and copper and have a guy on one side and a monument on the other dated 2005 [that's why they're shiny]. HEHEHE!:D

Prophet- Don't forget gymnasts train in disadvantaged leverage positions though...so imagine what using muscles in ADVANTAGED positons (trained originally in disavantaged postions) could do. Just a "theory" of mine or something like that :confused::D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
  8. NaughtyKnight

Doing a thousand bodyweight squats will do nothing but give your muscular endurace.

Use some weight, and get some strength.

9. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

LOL. I'm putting that in my sig man.

And I guess bodyweight exercises DO hold their place somewhere, but why do them when weights can accomplish the same plus more?

And Prophet, gymnists do many different things than pushups and situps. :rolleyes:

10. GhostOfYourMind

Agreed, but in addition to those bw squats, squatting heavy is great too. Best of both words...(strength and endurance). WEEEEEEE!:D

11. fixationdarknes

You can build endurance with weight better than you can build endurance with easy BW exercises. For example, doing 20-rep Squats (ouch!) can really build both strength and endurance very well. No need to do a thousand BW squats.

I dunno about you, but I'd like to actually be able to do something with my endurance rather than being very weak with a lot of endurance.

12. GhostOfYourMind

A good point, but I was just using it as an example to include BW stuff IN CONJUNCTION with weights. But yes, 20 rep squats are much more "fun" than 1000s of BW squats. Hey, just thought of something.... BW exercises used as active recovery (see? there's SOME kinda use in thousands of BW squats....lol!!!)

13. NaughtyKnight

The 20 reps squat is the pinacle of the gym. It will build strength like no other. BW isnt even in the same league. Its like comparing mc donalds to gourmet Italian food.

14. fixationdarknes

Sure BW Squats sound great for Active Recovery, but not 1000 of them. lol.

And yes, 20-rep Squats are great. I don't do them often, but when I do...I usually see dead people all around me.

15. GhostOfYourMind

Plus they're not boring.... (high reps bore me...:0) I like both mcdonalds AND italtian food. Wonder if they could combine the two?:D:D

16. fixationdarknes

Have you ever tried 20-rep Squats? I dunno what you're thinking, but they're not "fun." Haha. I dread 20-rep Squats so much.

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Your statement is flawed.

I'm not in mediocrity.

I'm fit, and it works great, without me having to pick up weights.

See Ikken, I'm fit with doing that stuff.

Why do I need weights? No reason.

So I can become a bodybuilder? No, that's not what I wanto.

I want to be healthy.

All that stuff I do builds strength and is a good cardio workout.

Weights can only build strength.

Why do lifting when it will help me in one field, when the other stuff I do can help me in multiple fields?

18. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Anything you can do more than 20 of will not make you stronger.

Weights will make you a better martial artist, simple as that.

So indeed, ikkens statement has some validity.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

funny how one week someone aspires to be in k-1 then the next defends their crappy workout by saying "its good enough to stay fit"

20. fixationdarknes

First of all, lifting weights isn't only for bodybuilders. That's kind of an insult right there. Second, doing many pushups and situps is not an effective way of doing cardio nor will it build much strength at all.

Final answer: do weights and cardio (running, treadmill, stairmaster, you name it).