Who believes there should be a separate forum for Japanese Sword Arts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Aug 2, 2006.

?

Should there be a seperate forum for the JSA?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Sure, we have the weapons forum, but it's not really practical to have a single forum cover so many things.
    After all there is a Kickboxing forum and then a Thai Boxing forum. I could argue that having all the JSA topics strictly in the Weapons forum is like having Thai Boxing and Kickboxing wrapped into the same topic.
    It shouldn't be done.

So, who here believes another Styles forum should be opened up for all those involved in, or simply interested in, all martial arts involving the Japanese Swords?

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

why not just have a forum dedicated solely to each and every weapon

3. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

There's no way this can happen.

Number of posts in Weapons forum: 16000
    Number of posts in Kung Fu and Ninjitsu forums: 40000

Kung Fu in particular has been campaigning for a long while to have the forum split up *somehow*.

If it's not going to be done for Kung Fu, then there is no way that it will be done for weapons.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D

I think now I know how countries with so many seperatist groups fighting for independance must feel.

Come on people... stop your whining... it's a forum. A forum.
    It doesn't come in a baby size spoon in applesauce flavor. :bang:

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I voted "no" mainly because I think there is a pretty good tried-and-true way to gte your own forum: show that there are lots of threads and interest in the topics and once the admins see that there is enough interest, they will open up a new forum. I think a quick look through the Kuk Sool Won area wil show you a very positive and good role model. They asked for a forum and didn't get it initially but then started lots of threads and discussions (of merit) and eventually showed that there was enough interest.

Good luck.

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Aye Thomas, that just about sums up everything :)

If you want JSA, make the posts in the Weapons forum prefixing the title with [JSA].

7. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I am one of the lonely (few) Korean sword arts practitioners on the forum. We're sort of the illegitimate step-child in the 'old school' sword community - definitely not Western, not quite Chinese, and depending on what the argument is, either nothing at all like Japanese or just like Japanese swordsmanship. Since Chinese, Japanese, and Korean swordsmanship share so much history in development and ebb/flow of information through battle, trade, and conquest, I would much prefer to keep the lines of communication open for cross-flow and interaction. I know I have personally learned a lot from my brethren in the JSA world, and I sincerely hope I have been able to contribute meaningfully to discussions with them, as well.

I really hope the MAP Weapons Forum doesn't become like the SFI divisions, where Korean arts practitioners are not really welcome in either the Chinese or the Japanese sub-forums, and aren't vocal or numerous enough to have their own separate forum.

Besides, don't you guys already get accused often enough of being 'elitist koryu snobs'? :D