White privilege and cultural appropriation in martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Isaiah90, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

I discuss white privilege, racism, and cultural appropriation mostly in American martial arts.

Mod note: please don't use MAP as an advert for your YouTube channel. Discuss here if you wish, but don't post videos without context.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Speaking as one who has trained with a lot of African Americans, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Hispanic and may other folks from other races, all I have to say is...:rolleyes:

If you are looking to create controversy I recommend you do a WHOLE lot more research before you start....Novell Bell, Rudy Curry jr,, Michael Jai White, the late Jim Kelly, Mohamed Ali, Mike Tyson, Wesley Snipes, the Gracies, Sonny Chiba, Willam CC Chen, Tiffany Chen, Max Chen, etc.

A simple web search along with a visit to a lot more martial arts schools that you likely visited will easily disprove you hypothesis. There is more to martial arts than Taekwondo and Karate. Also there is a multitude of styles from various cultures. And there are adult classes too, not just kids classes.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Look at the amount of interplay, exchange, alteration, etc. from and between different cultures over human history and you can rightly see "cultural appropriation" for the unfunny propagandist joke that it is.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I sat through the whole 20 minutes. It's pretty evident you really don't know what you're talking about. Firstly, you contradict yourself. "You can't cherry pick techniques and then teach them". Literally Bruce Lee did this.

When BJJ was created, the Kodokan was very unhappy and insisted they called it judo. The exact opposite of what you insinuated.

What you're saying is that martial arts should be learned by non-Asians but shouldn't be taught by non-Asians because of race. Which is pretty racist.

Do you think that every martial arts school that has ever been opened was opened without the blessing of that persons teacher?

If all you see is race, you're the racist. When I train with people on the mat, colour is not important to me. My instructors colour is not important to me. If you think it is important then that's on you and your preconceived ideas.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

As a Chinese guy who learns Chinese KungFu from my Chinese Dad, Greek Wrestling from old Cornish farmer, Thai style kickboxing from an Chinese Hakka, Brazilian JiuJitsu from an Asian/English man, all the while speaking English with an English accent and Cantonese with a London accent and Mandarin with a horrible accent .. I am offended.
    Now excuse me, as I finish off my Italian pasta in my Dutch oven, using oven mitts made in Pakistan.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So Today I found out a Dutch oven is a real thing.......

And that also clickbaity clickbait is of course clickbait.

Grond, axelb, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I'm actually more surprised by the fact that they make oven mitts in Pakistan...who knew

pgsmith, Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Mushroom

Theyre Superman one. Was thinking China initially but no.... XD

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

As long as it's not a rudder. No, don't Google that.

10. Mushroom

I was going to say something, but I may conjure too much Joe Rogan...

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Greco Roman wrestling or folk Greek wrestling?

Iirc GR wrestling is actually french!

12. Mushroom

Actually Freestyle but also entered back-hold/Cornish wrestling and Greco Comps. TBF when I got dumped into comps, it was
    "Hey coach, whats the rules?"
    "Throw and pin!"
    "OK!"

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Dead_pool

14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

How else do you make cobbler?