White Crane Book

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by zuti car, Dec 17, 2020.

1. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

After 10 years in Taiwan and 7 years of learning Shaking Crane (Zong He quan), I decided to write a book about this rare, unusual and beautiful style. This is currently the only book about Shaking Crane in English and one of only few ever written about White Crane in general. I tried to explain some general facts about the style and foundational body mechanics as well as some exercise that help develop what is commonly known as 'internal" power. Book is written in simple and precise manner without usual Chinese esoteric and religious terminology and explanations, it is strictly about body mechanics . If anyone has any questions about Shaking Crane I will gladly respond the best I can.
    https://www.amazon.com/White-Crane-Kung-Fu-Internal/dp/B08P27KNRM

Paoquan and Flying Crane like this.
  2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'm sorry, but the fact you have a recommendation from Ron Goninan makes me doubt the quality of this book.

The guy is a fraud who has been caught out several times falsifying his credentials and history, including crudely photoshopping himself into pictures alongside white crane masters.

What is your personal experience of white crane? What qualifies you to write a book about it?

3. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

Like I said , I live in Taiwan for a while and learning White Crane for 7 years form legitimate linage teacher. About Ron, I don't have any negative experiences with him, but I also do not know much about his work, simply he practices other style of crane in which I have no interest.

4. Dan Bian

Any more details? Something less vague, that may lend some credibility to your writing?
    The name of your lineage teacher?

So if you dont know much about him, why add a testimonial from him?
    Literally to try and add some credibility to your work?

5. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

There is only one Zong he association in Taiwan, search teachers section , there is only one teacher in Tainan. Now ,who are you , what are your credentials so you come here with that attitude ?

6. Dan Bian

OR, you could just type the name... since, ya know, you're trying to sell yourself as some sort of authority, in order to sell your product.
    Its only right that you provide the details of where you learnt your art and from who. With detail, not vague thereabouts.

I'm James, I've been involved in martial arts since 1993, firstly involved in Chikarai Karate under Delwara Dhell, who was under Colin Payne, who now trains kickboxing under the TKO banner.
    Since 2004 I have been practicing Yang style Tai Chi.
    My first teacher was Nigel Adams, who learn from Michael Low, who learnt from Ursula Smilde, who learnt from Gerde Geddes, who learnt from Choy Hawk Peng, who learn from Yang Chengfu.

Since around 2012 I've been teaching free classes in my local park.

See, not that difficult to do. And I'm not even selling a book.

If you want to be taken seriously:

A) Expect and invite your potential audience to question who you are and what your experience is.

2) Make sure you know the background of anyone giving your book a testimonial, especially if you plan on featuring that testimonial in the book.

7. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

Ok I am done with you. I don't understand why are you attacking me and what exactly is your problem , but what ever it is I can't help you. For people who may want to check here is the link of the association my teacher belongs.
    http://www.zonghe.com.tw

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I would love to know what your lineage and background is as well.

Your post said you are writing a book on a rare style - the first question that comes up is what is your background and lineage... on MAP, these are pretty routine questions, and where Dan may come across as a bit blunt (not rude in my opinion), his questions are not out of line at all.

If you are interested in using MAP to promote ideas and solicit feedback, then you may have to expect to have questions like this come up.

David Harrison likes this.
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If you have written a book about something. People would like to know the background of the author. Especially when youre advertising to a martial arts community, questions will be asked.

Did you just expect praise immediately? I mean. Well done for writing a book. But you will be asked about it.

Imagine you got famous from this book. You wont take an interview? Who will ask simple (and the same) questions?

Not attacking . Just professional curiosity

10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This one looks more promising.

[​IMG]

11. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

I have no problem with questions , I actually welcome them ,because Shaking Crane is not well known outside Taiwan. On the other hand I don't talk to people who start conversation with ad hominem . I also do not participate in any politics and trash talking about other people ,school or styles.

12. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

This book is result of a small ethnological research I have done regarding old customs and believes regarding marriage, fertility , importance of keeping spouses together, finding a right partner ... I have tried to present and preserve a part of my culture that will completely disappear in near future. Do you think it wrong to write about my own culture and heritage?

13. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

I don't expect praise , but some common decency in communication , yes.

Mushroom likes this.
  14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Magic research? Do tell.

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Nah , I think that is great. Good for you. :)

16. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Being 'not well known' is why people ask about instructors, lineage, and time in training.

There are some very accomplished martial artists here at MAP... all of whom are willing to teach and learn from others here, but sometimes you have grow some thicker skin if you want to join in.

Thanks - that is the sort of info many would expect to see. Not sure why you got so upset about being asked about it.

As far as the book, am I correct in assuming it will be a general book about the art and culture?

Is the intention to just share information about the art or is it intended to be a comprehensive book/reference for teaching the art?

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

19. zuti car

zuti car Valued Member

First part of the book is introduction to some general things about Zong He and White Crane in general, short history, some anecdotes about the founder, connection to general Taoist cosmology and theories... Second part is purely technical, it describes in detail basic foundation of the art, body structure, how to generate power and how to execute it and also some general and some specific exercises for developing what is today popularly called "internal" power.

20. Paoquan

Paoquan New Member

Why such rude comments to someone who spent time writing what looks to be a very interesting book?

Excellent internal skills.
    Very similar to the Whooping crane version of this form, (But a touch less vocal).

See the common root with saam bo jin from Chow gar mantis.