Whip Jabbery

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by ShangChi, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

So, I was wondering after doing some bag and pad work last night, what's the point in the whip jab?

At some point I knew what it was, of course, and I still drill it regularly. But right now, my only cognitive reason for doing so is that the whip jab is one of the few techniques that makes me look like the boss I used to be.:rolleyes:

Serious question, though...what's the theory? Is it simply to try and generate more power/speed than a normal jab? At one point I would have known this, but my copious notes and annotated Tao are long gone (or in a box in my mum's loft).

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

My personal use of the whipping jab is as a feeler.

I throw it to see how the opponent reacts. Does he try to parry it, block it, is he a runner or does he lean away before returning back in?

I only need to throw one or two before deciding what the opponent does. I throw the whip jab, you go to parry and my second jab goes fight into the space made by your parrying hand (which by now is parrying thin air).

3. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Awesome, thanks Simon. Must use that next time I'm sparring.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A poor quality video, but watch the master, Thomas Hearns (from 1:20m). Just using the flicker jab, testing and teasing. Then on 3:00m when he had Roberto Duran figured out he unloads.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNFi3ZcM_S4"]Thomas Hearns vs Roberto Duran June 15, 1984 Caesars Palace - YouTube[/ame]

5. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

That's a beautiful display. And about two minutes in he throws what looks like a backfist from the low line to the high line.

I sense a Thomas Hearns Youtube-fest coming. Thanks again!

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My brother favourite fighter!

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Personally i like a whipping jab when my opponent's covering a certain angle fairly well or as Hannibal said, to feel out an opponent. I can whip it up from below, a little from the left, or a little from the right.